Lag in SL seems universal today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From what I've been told is that LL bots that go around SL sims to check things out re lag etc are not working properly so some sime like the full sim I rent has not been checked for 13 days and at one time before that it was 21 days and without the regular restarts we used to get this situation is getting worse . My computer is an i9 with SSD hard drives and loads of Ram with a 3070 graphics card and it plays all my games really well but after nearly 15 years here I've about come to the end of my patience with LL not looking after Second Life . A lot of aviation people in SL are very annoyed and after my last experience of flying in Blake Sea welllllllllllllllll I can see that if I cannot enjoy SL its time to go which is a shame.  So LL , get the restarts done every damn week and look after your loyal customers on here or many will start to  think about leaving. 

Warm regards to all from Sammi

8 hours ago, Sammi Boa said:

From what I've been told is that LL bots that go around SL sims to check things out re lag etc

Unless you're told it by a Linden, maybe don't believe everything you hear.

My computer is an i9 with SSD hard drives and loads of Ram with a 3070 graphics card and it plays all my games really well but after nearly 15 years here I've about come to the end of my patience with LL not looking after Second Life

Cool PC. Shame SL is not built like game. Games and game engines are designed to run a very specific way, and not surprisingly, consumer graphics cards are designed with these specific cases in mind.

SL isn't a game, and I'm not meaning from a metaphysical perspective, I'm meaning deeply technical. It's not a game. It's not made like a game, it has features that would be very difficult if not impossible to replicate like-for-like in a game (without sacrificing performance the same way SL has to), and if it was ported to an actual game engine .. would probably run worse.

LL tried to make a platform that ran more like a game, it was called Sansar and was a glorious technical achievement with beautiful lighting and rendering .. that cost a fortune and no one liked (and not just us, it was on steam, literally no one). Turns out, all the stuff they decided not to do, or do differently, was the secret sauce that makes SL tick.

As someone who spends more time than they care to admit involved in SL viewer development, I can honestly say I wish SL could utilize my gaming GPU more. The problem is all the work that has to be done before anything even gets to the GPU. Games just don't do any of the things SL has to do, on purpose, because doing those things in a game the SL way would be terrible.

If we get a new vulkan render engine, that opens some doors to making the client more multi threaded, do more of the CPU work on more CPU cores .. it's not going to be magic on its own and will likely be limited by IO bandwidth and/or consume stupid amounts of ram. 

SL physics are also entirely server side which is less than ideal for game like activities, driving, flying, etc.

In many ways, SL is what it is, jank and all. There is nothing else quite like it and the more you look into why, the more amazing this place becomes.

A lot of aviation people in SL are very annoyed and after my last experience of flying in Blake Sea

Stay mad. Any attention you can coax out of SL to make the performance of vehicles better would benefit everything everyone else does in SL. I'd like to see client side authoritative physics where the viewer tells the server "here I am", but that would also break the world and change everything .. so I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, you have to appreciate you're doing something in SL that's only incidentally possible on a good day, depends on several subsystems working and interacting perfectly and right on the raggedy bleeding edge. It can always be better, but this aint no flight simulator and never will be.

Just be thankful you're not into diving or boating, those folk have it even worse.

welllllllllllllllll I can see that if I cannot enjoy SL its time to go which is a shame.  So LL , get the restarts done every damn week and look after your loyal customers on here or many will start to  think about leaving. 

Being melodramatic doesn't help. We all get you're frustrated, but we also all know you're not going anywhere. Flouncing or threatening to leave on the forums will only attract the least helpful outcomes.

It's easy to get jaded about LL's apparent lack of care or progress and it's something that happens to everyone who stays here any length of time, best advice I can give is to temper your expectations and be a little more zen. 

There is nothing like SL, on purpose, and that's where the magic is.

• Like 2

Yes I agree, SL is not a game and is totally different in its programming etc so yes, your right on that one. 

Regarding boating and sailing on SL? Yet again my ignorance is showing as I'd no idea what it is like for them Coffee so your point has taught me something. Daft thing is that I do a lot of kayaking/horse riding in RL so I should perhaps give Kayaking a try on SL ha ha.

Ohhhhhhhh I'm not mad at LL but very very frustrated as I think they could do more but the fact they do not see to be, at least on the surface, to be actually doing more does mean people will leave and after 15 years nearly it would be hard to go but even my patience is limited. I've met so many nice people on here and that has made SL very special to me and to say goodbye to my long term partner I met on Day One here would be hard.  I suppose really that while people my leave here in frustration, other new comers join SL so that takes up the slack and SL will go on but, please please SL, look after the more long term members better than you do now as we are still supplying a lot of revenue to LL and, over the long term, a lot more than some of the new comers.

Ok guys (everyone I mean) my humble apologies if I've spoken out of turn as no offence meant in the typing of my text and if I have caused any offence it's down to being a little dippy and slowwwwwwwwww of mind ha ha. 

Take care everyone and if you want to say hi in SL just let me know. Warm regards from Sammy XXX

• Thanks 1

Yes I agree, SL is not a game and is totally different in its programming etc so yes, your right on that one. 

Regarding boating and sailing on SL? Yet again my ignorance is showing as I'd no idea what it is like for them Coffee so your point has taught me something. Daft thing is that I do a lot of kayaking/horse riding in RL so I should perhaps give Kayaking a try on SL ha ha.

Ohhhhhhhh I'm not mad at LL but very very frustrated as I think they could do more but the fact they do not see to be, at least on the surface, to be actually doing more does mean people will leave and after 15 years nearly it would be hard to go but even my patience is limited. I've met so many nice people on here and that has made SL very special to me and to say goodbye to my long term partner I met on Day One here would be hard.  I suppose really that while people my leave here in frustration, other new comers join SL so that takes up the slack and SL will go on but, please please SL, look after the more long term members better than you do now as we are still supplying a lot of revenue to LL and, over the long term, a lot more than some of the new comers.

Ok guys (everyone I mean) my humble apologies if I've spoken out of turn as no offence meant in the typing of my text and if I have caused any offence it's down to being a little dippy and slowwwwwwwwww of mind ha ha. 

Take care everyone and if you want to say hi in SL just let me know. Warm regards from Sammy XXX

Ohhhhhhh and just to say that I do not consider myself to be 'melodramatic' as a nurse in the NHS in UK its the last thing I am . However, I'm just trying to show how Frustrated I and many others have been feeling with SL and if we feel like that yes we go and others come so please try to understand when someone is stating their point as it does not mean they are getting 'melodramatic' etc.

Regards to all and take care 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lag is quite common in SL even in firestorm I have had lots of lag but after the new update it seems to have subsided also certain days of the week are laggy due to region restarts and SL macitence even my MacBook Pro has a hard time keeping up and would have SL crash but thankfully that hasn't happened in over a year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.