Lag in SL seems universal today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe it's just me and my connection, but seems like everywhere is extra laggy today, orange clouds linger a long time everywhere and I get bad lag even in my house. Is this something that happens from time to time? I'm getting real lag in empty sims. Is there some LL issue that causes this?

• Like 2

For me, it is objects rezzing slower - even more so than slow texture rezzing.  I've not extended my draw distance out and I keep my LOD at 2.0 most of the time, but it will still take upwards of 30 seconds for all of the objects to rez in.  I don't notice people rezzing much slower, but I don't typically pay much attention to the folks around me -- that and many of the places I go tend to be empty or close to empty.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I've noticed for a few days now that things take longer for the textures to go from grey to colour. Since I am seeing this on regions I visit frequently and therefore the textures are largely cached I suspect the botttleneck is in the information being sent from the region to the client, not delays in sending textures.

But I am also seeing some slower responses outside SL in other forums and places I browse, so it is more likely to be general internet loading rather than anything LL-specific.

3 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Maybe it's just me and my connection, but seems like everywhere is extra laggy today, orange clouds linger a long time everywhere and I get bad lag even in my house. Is this something that happens from time to time? I'm getting real lag in empty sims. Is there some LL issue that causes this?

Lag is just a part of Second Life and always will be. More scripts running in a sim = more lag. Heavily landscaped sims are notorious for this since texture and resize scripts aren't removed.

6 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Lag is just a part of Second Life and always will be. More scripts running in a sim = more lag. Heavily landscaped sims are notorious for this since texture and resize scripts aren't removed.

Yeah, I get that, but in my house? In empty sims? My avi complexity is around 62k, and I'm not running any scripts, and still laaaaaaaaag.

4 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Can you show us your Statistics panel, like mine below? Any scripts on your region will contribute to script lag if there are too many running. Stats window is Ctrll+Shift+1   Also where is your draw distance?   Mine was set at 138 m for the stats below, and FPS was 16.  If I set my dd to 76 m, my FPS increases to 41 FPS.  (I have my FPS capped at 40 FPS in Preferences.)   You are not alone if there are other homes and landscaping on your region.

6042f48b21c82afe7e0e92f03b156aa8.png

Note there are 4574 Active Scripts on my Linden Home region (stilt water).  My home is unfurnished with 2 chairs, 2 small boats, and some birds.  I count about 200 scripts for my parcel.  The rest are coming from everything else on the region, of which I have no control.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

16 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Can you show us your Statistics panel, like mine below? Any scripts on your region will contribute to script lag if there are too many running. Stats window is Ctrll+Shift+1   Also where is your draw distance?   Mine was set at 138 m for the stats below, and FPS was 16.  If I set my dd to 76 m, my FPS increases to 41 FPS.  (I have my FPS capped at 40 FPS in Preferences.)   You are not alone if there are other homes and landscaping on your region.

6042f48b21c82afe7e0e92f03b156aa8.png

I don't know where to find that.

5 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Stats window is Ctrll+Shift+1 

That is the keyboard shortcut, from my post.  It is also in Advanced/Performance Tools/Statistics Bar. Also from clicking the Traffic Bar in upper right corner of FS, if you have that showing.

I also added more text just now after the pic.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

OK, but collapse the Advanced branch now, and Expand the Simulator and Time branches. So it looks like mine. 

If it is too many scripts, you want to see what the Simulator for your region is doing, and how the Simulator is using it's Time frame cycle.

5 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

OK, but collapse the Advanced branch now, and Expand the Simulator and Time branches. So it looks like mine. 

If it is too many scripts, you want to see what the Simulator for your region is doing, and how the Simulator is using it's Time frame cycle.

simulator.png

Scripts aren't going to be the reason for slow texture loading, they are at the back of the queue and get executed after most of the positioning and physics jobs are handled. If touch dialogs are slow and scripted objects are jerky or not reacting as fast as you would expect then there is a case for looking to see if the region is script-bound, but the main issues with slow rezzing are due to other things.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

This is in my house in Belliseria, and I can see only one other person in the neighborhood.

You have packet loss. Log out.  Try rebooting your modem (unplug for 3-4 minutes and plug back in).  Log back.  Check those stats again.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

You have packet loss. Log out.  Try rebooting your modem (unplug for 3-4 minutes and plug back in).  Log back.  Check those stats again.

Aha! Thank you Rowan! I'll try that right away! Back in a few.

7 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

This is in my house in Belliseria, and I can see only one other person in the neighborhood.

Having nobody else around doesn't even matter much.  What matter is what sorts of things have been rezzed in all of those other homes that are within your draw distance --- because the viewer is downloading all of that info.

• Like 1

Thanks,

You don't have any script lag at all, 100% Scripts run, but you are still loading Textures I see from your first snapshot.  Try to cut your Draw distance down, to reduce the number of textures you have to cache.

You FPS is really bad as you know.   Once all the textures are loaded, it should go back up.  You only have 1 agent and 2 child agents, so its not avatar lag either.

You also have no Physics Time lag, 0.16 ms is almost zero.  So textures I would say.  Not knowing about your graphics card etc.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.