a simple 'hello'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I prefer to slip in silently and unnoticed and prefer not to be greeted.  I guess I'm in the minority on that.  

That's pretty much the way I am too. It makes me very uncomfortable when I slip in and someone yells, "Oh, look, everybody!  Look who's here!"  I feel much happier when someone can say, "Oh, hi!  When did you get here?"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

By itself, saying hello to others shows a lot about the group. Sadly, not saying hello shows a lot too.

Am I mistaken?

No I think you're right.

If there's a host I expect a greeting from them; as @BookishMelinoe said, it's their actual job to do that. I tend not to expect (or receive) greetings from other guests and thats okay, it's not their responsibility to do the host's job for them. It's a nice thing if it happens but I wouldn't be miffed if it didn't.

What I dislike is long distance greetings on a chat relay. Sometimes I'm just checking the place out, checking what genre of music they are playing and camming in, to see how many people are there and what the apparent dress-code seems to be. At that point I haven't decided if I will enter or not. 

Once I get there, I'm looking for a chatty crowd. If people aren't chatting in local I won't stay; if I'm going to stand there in a silent club listening to a stream, I may as well be at home listening to the radio. I'll make an attempt to start a conversation but if no-one picks it up, I'm out of there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Schatzi Timmerman said:

As I stood at the entrance, looking at the frivolousness, I expected a simple "hi Schatzi, welcome to (insert name here)".

What I got was crickets. I stood there and wandered a bit, so I could be noticed. Not a peep from the participants or the manager/owners.

Usually the host and / or DJ is responsible for greetings- if they are on duty and not otherwise busy. Maybe a robot automated greeter would have sufficed? 

Anyway..in Real Life - I went to a university where we were LITERALLY taught to say, "Howdy!" - to everyone. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.