How Does Your SL Look Today?

2 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

C'mon, you have that PBR maps and probes stuff pretty much down. So you are actually an expert by now. :SwingingFriends:

Not at all a reference to you, Arton: you have been very generous and helpful here.

But there have been others who have suggested that this isn't going to impact on most people's SL. And I think that's not correct. There is going to be a learning curve for a great many. And yeah, some of it is a bit complicated!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

LL is the source of confusion now, I wonder whatever changes that were made in 9142  were not carried over to the newer  builds, or if they removed them entirely.  

Nope, there isn't anything removed actually.
You can see what is being done on the GLTF viewer here. https://github.com/secondlife/viewer/commits/DRTVWR-601

There isn't anything that has been done to fix SSR and the snapshot tool yet.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 4

I'm trying to find my way out of this madness.

Snapshot_026.thumb.png.511d498324e09fe5a6535f27b06b4522.png

The problem is, I'm not sure which me is "me"  

Thankfully though, going into mouselook makes all of the imposter me people vanish!

Snapshot_027.thumb.png.cfa712744cd9d1c9c582038284ee369b.png

Now it is only a matter of feeling my way out of here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not at all a reference to you, Arton: you have been very generous and helpful here.

But there have been others who have suggested that this isn't going to impact on most people's SL. And I think that's not correct. There is going to be a learning curve for a great many. And yeah, some of it is a bit complicated!

In some ways it might be LESS complicated. We can drag a material onto an object, and not have to worry about settings. I don't usually do that though.

I broke free of my prison, then I started to play around with EEPs and personal lighting.  I think I broke something, because a fog started to roll in and I swear I could hear Anubis muttering about how mortals are not meant to meddle in such affairs,  my FPS slowly dropped, as five layers of reflective water surfaces started to cascade into a rift tearing a hole through the fabric of SL world (What the heck do we call the world of SL anyway? Second Earth?)

Snapshot_399.thumb.jpg.e6f3b3228858fd3a1fee4482be9215cd.jpg

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

In some ways it might be LESS complicated. We can drag a material onto an object, and not have to worry about settings. I don't usually do that though.

What settings do you mean?

There are actually MORE settings available for the individual components of a PBR materials -- the metallic and roughness factors, for instance, for the Metallic/Roughness component of the materials. (And that's actually a GOOD thing: it allows one, assuming that one can modify the object, to fine tune its appearance.)

It IS easier, I suppose, to apply a single PBR materials to an object than three different maps -- diffuse, normal, and spectral -- to a Blinn-Phong textured object. But you can actually apply those now by dragging and dropping too (assuming you've checked off the correct slot in the textures tab.) And that's only going to be of use to people who are texturing anyway, which is probably a minority.

I was thinking more of reflection probes, actually: anyone who buys a house or structure employing one of these is going to have to understand at least a few rudiments about how they work. And applying one to an existing structure is, at the moment, a bit frustrating and complicated. I think that, in general, lighting is going to be a bit of a challenge for some users, especially if LL doesn't update more of the EEP settings than just Midday.

It's all manageable. But I don't buy the "everyone will be able to carry on as they were" argument I've heard in a few places. Sure -- if they don't care how their SL looks, or aren't interested in actually taking advantage of PBR (which, if so, rather defeats its point).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sure -- if they don't care how their SL looks

It doesn't look bad if you cover your good eye, and squint with your bad eye, viewing in a poorly lit room, with optimal EEP settings, and no other avatars..

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It IS easier, I suppose, to apply a single PBR materials to an object than three different maps -- diffuse, normal, and spectral -- to a Blinn-Phong textured object.

This is what I meant. Some people have never used the anything beyond "diffuse", even after having been on SL for over a decade. It doesn't mean they don't care about what their SL looks like. They just aren't "techie".

• Like 1

Slowly creeping down the walls of a fortress, I may have escaped my prison but I am not quite out of trouble yet.

Snapshot_415.thumb.jpg.cc6038656aef149b4919712d4219559a.jpg

It is really spooky in this sandbox

Snapshot_414.thumb.jpg.c983622dece856f2fd874bb929356a13.jpg

The ground here is incredibly slippery, I hope I don't fall off it is a long way down and who knows what dwells in that mist.

Snapshot_418.thumb.jpg.f502031cb2fedb11b0a7a7c915ca38c4.jpg

/me peers in cave.. I wonder if this connects to the network of tunnels I found earlier, perhaps there is a passage to my Bellisseria home.

Snapshot_419.thumb.jpg.22e3c691501af6eaa5f7602106c4de95.jpg

🙃

This was pretty quick and easy build, I had a lot of fun with it.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 9

You know . . . I spend a fair bit of time working to make myself look distinctive, and nice when I go out dancing.

So when some utter idiot on the dance floor informs me that I "look like a cartoon character" . . . I am most definitely NOT amused.

Jinkies, some guys really are clueless! Amirite?

Velma-Blank.thumb.png.186d855188960a13064c1412e30b5eda.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You know . . . I spend a fair bit of time working to make myself look distinctive, and nice when I go out dancing.

So when some utter idiot on the dance floor informs me that I "look like a cartoon character" . . . I am most definitely NOT amused.

Jinkies, some guys really are clueless! Amirite?

Velma-Blank.thumb.png.186d855188960a13064c1412e30b5eda.png

It is a trap, isn't it?
:D

We all look cartoonish in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm totally unsure at the moment.
Will I set myself to start studying PBR or simply call it a day and stop creating for SL in the near feature if people start to demand for PBR extra's for each and every object.
So far I'm leaning towards that it is not worth the extra effort. How often do people really look that closely to their surroundings in SL?
Time will tell, I guess.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Hey it is Saturday: my edit hobby day. 🍺
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Will I set myself to start studying PBR or simply call it a day and stop creating for SL in the near feature if people start to demand for PBR extra's for each and every object.

Idea: If you sell the objects with Mod permissions, people can apply PBR themselves. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: If you sell the objects with Mod permissions, people can apply PBR themselves. 

I think that people who know how to do that are able to create from scratch themselves.
Consumers want to have things, put it out and then after a few weeks onward to the new next best thing since sliced bread at the marketplace, the next sale or both.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Still Saturday. 🍻
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm totally unsure at the moment.
Will I set myself to start studying PBR or simply call it a day and stop creating for SL in the near feature if PBR fully hits SL and the marketplace? 
So far I'm leaning towards it is not worth the extra effort. How often do people really look that closely to their surroundings in SL?
Time will tell, I guess.

TBH, I haven't found PBR to be drastically different to work with. On the material side, it's just a few added options, and we can actually see the loaded image in the material editor. The probes are definitely something new though. 

I didn't have to remake anything I created,  just update the materials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think that people who know how to do that are able to create from scratch themselves.
Consumers want to have things, put it out and then after a few weeks onwards to the next best thing since sliced bread at the marketplace, the next sale or both.

I can create a building, but it's time intensive. I would rather buy a building and retexture it, than spend a month or more, making one from scratch. Caitlin and I have been doing that. I watched Cinny do it with many of her buildings. 

So I absolutely agree with Love. Sell MOD items if you don't want to create PBR materials. If you aren't creating the materials yourself, then there really isn't much to learn. It doesn't affect how you build anyways.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

How often do people really look that closely to their surroundings in SL?

I'd have to say not as closely as some seem to think.  I toss something out and if it fits the theme, I don't really care how the light/shadow hits it as I walk by.  I mean, honestly, there is more chit chat about how avatars look than the surroundings.   What do we look for in all that other stuff?  Land impact, triangles, LOD.   If items aren't made well to begin with, no amount of PBR crapola you add to it will make me buy it.  

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd have to say not as closely as some seem to think.  I toss something out and if it fits the theme, I don't really care how the light/shadow hits it as I walk by.  I mean, honestly, there is more chit chat about how avatars look than the surroundings.   What do we look for in all that other stuff?  Land impact, triangles, LOD.   If items aren't made well to begin with, no amount of PBR crapola you add to it will make me buy it.  

The other day I noticed, that a few chairs in my living room (SL) were floating at least a few inches above the ground.
It has been that way several months before I found out. ;)

Edited by Sid Nagy
Yup...
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I can create a building, but it's time intensive. I would rather buy a building and retexture it, than spend a month or more, making one from scratch. Caitlin and I have been doing that. I watched Cinny do it with many of her buildings. 

So I absolutely agree with Love. Sell MOD items if you don't want to create PBR materials. If you aren't creating the materials yourself, then there really isn't much to learn. It doesn't affect how you build anyways.

For now I just wait and see.
I can afford it to do so,  SL is not my RL money supplier.

• Like 2