How Does Your SL Look Today?

So, as mentioned in another thread (which features a different photo from this same shoot), I got bored yesterday, discovered a dress I'd bought that I wasn't sure what to do with, and spent close to an hour fiddling to put together an outfit that might make it wearable.

I think I succeeded? It's kinda cute? Anyway, I wore it dancing last night, and no one left the room in protest.

Cheezu-Dress-2-Blank.thumb.png.49d19cc158ee3a6ba30317e2def1f92d.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, as mentioned in another thread (which features a different photo from this same shoot), I got bored yesterday, discovered a dress I'd bought that I wasn't sure what to do with, and spent close to an hour fiddling to put together an outfit that might make it wearable.

I think I succeeded? It's kinda cute? Anyway, I wore it dancing last night, and no one left the room in protest.

Lol, who in their right mind would protest to seeing you in that dress? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Lol, who in their right mind would protest to seeing you in that dress? 

Well, thank you!

It's a perfectly nice dress, very well-made. There's nothing "wrong" with it, except that it isn't really my "look." So I had to mix it up a little, and make it a bit gothy, but in a soft and slightly ironic way (hence the fluffy hair and big nerd glasses!).

I can wear this now, whereas I wouldn't have just "straight up," so to speak.

I think I also bought this in white (what was I thinking?): maybe I'll try a bit of a kinderwhore look with it. If it works, I'll post a pic!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, thank you!

It's a perfectly nice dress, very well-made. There's nothing "wrong" with it, except that it isn't really my "look." So I had to mix it up a little, and make it a bit gothy, but in a soft and slightly ironic way (hence the fluffy hair and big nerd glasses!).

I can wear this now, whereas I wouldn't have just "straight up," so to speak.

I think I also bought this in white (what was I thinking?): maybe I'll try a bit of a kinderwhore look with it. If it works, I'll post a pic!

"Kinderwhore"? What's that?

I love the look though. It's a different side of you showing through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I happen to really like this soft goth look.  Those boots are fabulous and the fishnets are a great detail.  Keep experimenting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

"Kinderwhore"? What's that?

I love the look though. It's a different side of you showing through.

"Kinderwhore" is the (easily misconstrued) name given to a style that originated in the 90s with Riot Grrrl and women-fronted grunge bands like Hole and Bikini Kill (which was very much my scene in those days). It's particularly associated with Courtney Love.

It takes a very soft and conventionally "feminine" look -- babydoll dresses, for instance, or dresses with Peter Pan collars, worn with Mary Janes -- and subverts it ironically by grunging it up and sexualizing it. The idea was to use the look to interrogate and expose the hidden and oppressive sexual underpinnings of conventionally soft and feminine clothing. Babydoll dresses, for instance, tend (it can be argued) to infantilize women (hence the name, "babydoll") while covertly fetishizing them as sexual objects.

So, in some ways, kinderwhore was less a "style" than an overt political statement; the name is less a reference to the look than to what it is exposing about conventional fashion aesthetics. It's not a look I ever actually adopted myself, but I liked the idea.

Here's Courtney Love kinda rocking the look.

tumblr_p83lb7RLox1qa09rfo4_540.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Kinderwhore" is the (easily misconstrued) name given to a style that originated in the 90s with Riot Grrrl and women-fronted grunge bands like Hole and Bikini Kill (which was very much my scene in those days). It's particularly associated with Courtney Love.

It takes a very soft and conventionally "feminine" look -- babydoll dresses, for instance, or dresses with Peter Pan collars, worn with Mary Janes -- and subverts it ironically by grunging it up and sexualizing it. The idea was to use the look to interrogate and expose the hidden and oppressive sexual underpinnings of conventionally soft and feminine clothing. Babydoll dresses, for instance, tend (it can be argued) to infantilize women (hence the name, "babydoll") while covertly fetishizing them as sexual objects.

So, in some ways, kinderwhore was less a "style" than an overt political statement; the name is less a reference to the look than to what it is exposing about conventional fashion aesthetics. It's not a look I ever actually adopted myself, but I liked the idea.

Here's Courtney Love kinda rocking the look.

tumblr_p83lb7RLox1qa09rfo4_540.jpg

With Courtney Love though, I wonder if it's more for shock value, than it is a political statement. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

With Courtney Love though, I wonder if it's more for shock value, than it is a political statement. 

I think both of these things can be true.

I think Love is probably a pretty awful person (although I think too that that angle has been exaggerated, not least of all by Love herself), and her feminism has always been . . . problematic. (She once famously sucker-punched Kathleen Hanna, which is a bit like a Roman Catholic cardinal socking the Pope.) But it's real enough, just idiosyncratic.

And she -- and many others in the Grunge and Riot Grrrl movements -- definitely and consciously relied on "shock value" to carry their message. They were angry, and they wanted to be sure you knew it.

Here's Love on kinderwhore from a Rolling Stone interview from 1994:

Where did your fascination with the tarnished baby-doll look really come from? And where’s the feminism in it?
"I would like to think–in my heart of hearts–that I’m changing some psychosexual aspects of rock music. Not that I’m so desirable. I didn’t do the kinder-whore thing because I thought I was so hot. When I see the look used to make one more appealing–when I see a 14-year-old girl in a fanzine acting like she’s nine, it pisses me off. When I started, it was a What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? thing. My angle was irony." (Emphasis mine)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think Love is probably a pretty awful person (although I think too that that angle has been exaggerated, not least of all by Love herself), and her feminism has always been . . . problematic. (She once famously sucker-punched Kathleen Hanna, which is a bit like a Roman Catholic cardinal socking the Pope.) But it's real enough, just idiosyncratic.

And she -- and many others in the Grunge and Riot Grrrl movements -- definitely and consciously relied on "shock value" to carry their message. They were angry, and they wanted to be sure you knew it.

Where did your fascination with the tarnished baby-doll look really come from? And where’s the feminism in it?
"I would like to think–in my heart of hearts–that I’m changing some psychosexual aspects of rock music. Not that I’m so desirable. I didn’t do the kinder-whore thing because I thought I was so hot. When I see the look used to make one more appealing–when I see a 14-year-old girl in a fanzine acting like she’s nine, it pisses me off. When I started, it was a What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? thing. My angle was irony." (Emphasis mine)

You can imagine my initial thought until I realized this was about Courtney Love lol!

Supporting argument for what you wrote: her band name, "Hole".

• Haha 3

In search of TP and other supplies, I brave the roads of Bellisseria 

Snapshot_015.thumb.png.d5fbcf59662c14d3dea6a4c1f6479d5e.png

I can't seem to find a store anywhere, where are they all?  

Snapshot_016.thumb.png.b98fb28a3ac58a088ed3a60e3aa3eed8.png

There must be one around here somewhere!  I don't want to travel all the way to the mole mart, that is in an entirely different continent.  Are there any convenience stores in Bellisseria?  I know there are little bars, perhaps I can snag some TP from one of them.

So far, I've only collided in to one light pole, not a single pedestrian or incoming cars, I call that a win!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

When we are taking pictures, my focus is her and her focus is me, so right there that gives me an advantage,

Do you really want to bring this argument into the forums?  You know dern well I will always have the complete and total advantage. Life is like a camera with focus on it, guess who I focus on? I settled that pretty quick.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Visited The Fletcher Gallery today! Bought a pic, and enjoyed a number of others, including this lovely one by @Katherine Heartsong (which I've mutilated hideously in my rendering: visit the gallery to see it in its original glory!)

The-Fletcher-Gallery-Blank.png

Thanks! That was a surprise to have 2 from the forums, you and Sid Nagy, visiting in one day. It's just new, the gallery is far from completed like Sid said, but the construction of the building is really unique, I can't help but show off how doors lead to other galleries, Bill did a wonderful job customizing this building. There's a unique collection of art, it's going to be the best of whatever we find. Where should your Cleopatra picture go? 😃

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cirleen said:

Do you really want to bring this argument into the forums?

Worse things have been brought to the forums. Of course the best thing that has been brought to the forums is when I brought you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And of course "message" and "money" get blurry  What they portray has to be able to generate both interest and income. Producers are not well known for giving a band "carte blanche" in their music or image.

• Like 2