Shopping inworld

Dana Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

The MP is a search engine.  Like any software, you just gotta fiddle with it.  This is especially true with search engines, and more so the MP, because there's really no way to know if you're gonna like something until you actually see it.  One thing I do, because I have a more real-word proportioned body than the typical SL avi, is ensure that anything I buy is modifiable -- then I can stretch it to cover up...or to reveal more.

So.  Tips.  I dunno.  Regardless of what you enter as  search terms, you're just going to have to sift through stuff.  I still find this a lot quicker and less stressful than the alternative of shopping in-world.

For your specific tastes?  I've found plenty of tasteful outfits, even though I'm not even searching for them.  You're in luck with your tastes:  Because less-skimpy outfits aren't as popular, they don't sell well, and therefore usually have a lower price.  Try searching by lowest price first, then play around with the search settings to get different results.  Suggested search terms...hmmm...

• Modest
  • Casual
  • Soccer mom
  • Formal
  • Business atire
  • Hajib
  • Snood
  • Medevial
  • Classy

Some of these might not give you specifically what you are looking for, but click on 'em anyhow and check out the merchants' other outfits;  If they serve those looking for the above search terms, then they're more likely to have what you're looking for than Boobs 'R' Us or whatever.

Thanks a lot! Its obviously a language problem as I havent searche for a lot of the words you suggests 🌷

• Like 1

In all fairness though, it seems the norm is to abuse the searchwords on the MP to try to maximise exposure. Search for 'boots' and you still get bikinis. And sure, you can report the listings for being tagged wrongly, but there's so many of them, especially when someone has spammed the listings with seventytwelve different colours of the same item and all of them are wrong ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

we have been down this road so many times in a few threads in here.  There are some "key" words that are used to bring up the skimpy type clothes,  so when searching if you use the word "club"  or "sexy"  you are gonna get a load of them.  Try using "casual" or "modest" instead.  And with BOM you can always use a system layer under those ultra low necklines or nipple showing styles, like a modesty shirt or something underneath.  I do that all the time, and often offer these "modesty" shirts along with a too revealing top or dress included with some of the clothing I make. So people have  a choice of how they wish to wear it.  And I agree with  you, not all of us want to show off what we got,  but there are so many who do that the demand is there for these type of clothes, so that is why they are so prolific.  But trust me, there are others out there, nice tasteful styles, it just takes some work to find them, unfortunately.

Thank you for great suggestions! 🌷 I havent thought about system clothes, good idea! I didnt search for those words you suggest tho, i used "top" "blazer" "jacket" for example and drowned in "skimpy" stuff 🤪

• Like 1

Since I started this topic I hope it's OK to suggest you look at my shop.  I have only one really skimpy dress (and I made that by request).  See everything at https://enyoshop.com.  (If you shop inworld you help me support the sims I'm in; LM links are on the home page.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

Thank you for great suggestions! 🌷 I havent thought about system clothes, good idea! I didnt search for those words you suggest tho, i used "top" "blazer" "jacket" for example and drowned in "skimpy" stuff 🤪

You could check this thread, too.  Most of the stores mentioned have more modest clothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also since you haven't mentioned a particular style beyond modest.. but places like M.birdie, Amitomo, Cheezu,  or dami may have stuff as well, they mostly do gachas but you can find demos ( you really want to demo things) . They do more casual styles and may seem to young but a lot of that is styling.

When I'm looking for a particular style and have multiple stores to check out I really prefer in world over MP. I can go to the store, cam around ,  see what they have laid out rather than having to scroll through the mulitple color options or the various pages and then see if there are gifts and things like that. And see if there are similar stores near by,  if there are other people there check out how they are dressed,  grab demos a lot quicker

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Why not just give the URL for your MP listing?

That would also bring up a security warning if it was done the same way as the other URL. The issue was adding a full stop to the end. When posting links, they need to be posted exactly as they are with no extra punctuation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

That would also bring up a security warning if it was done the same way as the other URL. The issue was adding a full stop to the end. When posting links, they need to be posted exactly as they are with no extra punctuation.

Had a feeling it was something as simple as that.  Still don't get why the MP URL wasn't used, as the other website lacks a "buy" button.  That's the key component to any e-commerce site, an actual way to buy stuff, which the MP provides...and that brings us back to the OP's original question, viewd from a merchant's perspective:  I'm not a merchant, but if I were, I'd want a website with a buy function more than an in-world search where someone has to first TP to my store.  My experience in real-world e-commerce has lead me to realize that sales revenue is inversely proportional to the number of steps a customer needs to take to make a purchase.

Oops!  Polenth is absolutely right; my period after the website URL generated that message.  I gave that instead of the MP URL because MP doesn't allow a creator to organize things.  My Website (besides being fun to do and I hope interesting to browse) breaks things up into collections.  Let's try again:  https://enyoshop.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

a bit late to the game here, but I absolutely prefer to wander/window shop in world than using the MP.    I use the MP when I need something in the next half hour for a themed event or some such and I simply don't have time to explore.  But in general, for me, I like the process, the activity, of shopping.  I want to wander the store and see what they have.  I like going to Sims that have several shops setup so I can wander from store to store.  

The MP does allow me to narrow my focus on a few key words and categories, but is not so good at simply discovery.   I can't begin to count the number of times I've gone into an inworld store, looking for one thing I had my mind on and found something quite by accident some different and wonderful and I would never have known it existed had I not gone looking around.  I do miss some of the mall experiences from when I first joined SL.

the MP is too narrow, and too sterile, for my taste.  it's a good tool for what it is, but for my own aesthetic of how i live my Second Life, it diminishes the experience.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.