Shopping inworld

Dana Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a request (actually a couple of them) from me as a pretty new creator.

First is, please try to shop inworld, not just on MP.  Marketplace is our Amazon; everything is there, all searchable and Oh so easy. 

But it's inworld shops that make SL's cities and malls interesting and vibrant.  The rent I pay helps the music venues on those sims stay open; the colorful shop looks WAY better than an empty storefront.  (Just like RL, by the way.)  I always put the SLurl in there so you can "See item in Second Life, and I always try to use that when I visit an MP shop.)

Sim owners, you could help!  I now have two shops in places where I am paying a percent of sales instead of fixed rent.  I think there would be WAY fewer empty shops if more owners did this, and it would be a real shot in the arm for new creators.  Imagine walking thru Detroit, or down New York's Christopher Street, and seeing unique new things behind every window?

What do you all think?  If you're a customer, creator or sim owner I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 4

As a customer, inworld stores are much better for just browsing around to see if something strikes my fancy, and I love discovering things that way--the other night, I followed a blog post about a freebie and ended up buying like 5 things from the store in addition to grabbing the freebie, because there was just such cool stuff there.

The MP is more for when I want something really specific right now, like I'm going to a themed event, it's in an hour, and I absolutely need a (e.g.) gingham dress and have no idea where I might find one. And I usually go to the inworld store when I can, both because it's usually cheaper and because I know y'all get more of the money that way, but sometimes the store doesn't exist anymore, or the store exists but the item is so old that it's long gone, so I just buy it off the MP in that case.

ETA: I guess that leads into what my advice for creators would be! If you move your store, update the link on the MP. :) 

Edited by BookishMelinoe
thought of something to add

1 hour ago, Dana Enyo said:

What do you all think?  If you're a customer, creator or sim owner I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lots of buyers see the stuff on the MP then use the See Inworld link if they are interested. This is the best way to maximise sales. Indeed I read one post where they said if they cannot go and see / test inworld they simply wont buy. After I read that one I got an inworld shop going and it made a dif.

Edited by rasterscan

It depends on what is being sold.  Clothing I prefer to get demos off of the MP and purchase the full version the same way.  Other products such as furniture or homes, of course I'll grab the See Inworld Store link.  The 'fun' of exploring new shopping areas has been pretty much ruined by all the events.  I have no desire to wander aimlessly in some store checking out everything they have.  If they have an item at an event I like, I might stop by the store but not as a rule.

• Like 1

Both MP and in world stores have their pros and cons.  As a creator I have both.  I have one main store inworld and 2 smaller satellite stores and one MP store.  The advantage for me when folks shop inworld is it renders higher profit as I get the full price of each item sold.  MP has increased the percentage of the amount they take from each sale, and although to some that may not make much difference, it does to me.  As a result I actually charge a bit more on MP for each item then I do for inworld purchases (for recently added MP items) and I let folks know that on my MP pages, hopefully, to encourage them to shop inworld.

As a consumer,  I use MP as a place to find items through search,  and when I locate what I am looking for, I will get a demo via MP, and if I like the item and decide to buy it, I will find the in world store and go check it out in person and purchase it there.  So yes it is important for MP stores to put an SLURL on their MP stores so people who want to can pick up items in world.  This of course is mainly for clothing items, that can be demoed,  if an MP store does not offer a demo I just move on.  Some MP stores I notice have a little trick,  they do not put a demo on MP but state a demo is available at the in world store, in that case I will check it out inworld.  For furniture or landscape items etc.  inworld is the only way,  I have to see and test the item before buying which you just cannot do on MP.   

I'm really happy hearing all the "I shop inworld" comments!   It looks like I am going to be down to one fixed rent shop and four percent-of-sales ones, so we'll see what happens.

No.  I only buy on the MP.  Why?

• I can enter a search item, and not be stuck with just one merchant.
  • I can open a new tab for each interesting item, then flip back and forth to compare them.
  • I can open a new tab not just for an interesting item, but an interesting store.
  • I don't have to deal with poorly designed parcels -- FPS issues, forced-landing spots (you mouse around, double-tap to tp to a cool dress, but the darn parcel's settings tp you back to the landing point instead), row after row of unorganized globs of stuff versus using real-world store traffic designs as a model, flying disabled.
  • I can filter out items that aren't copy-yes and modify-yes.
  • I can get an item re-delivered easily.
  • I can get assistance from Linden.
  • I can warn others if a merchant's ad is misleading or their product is crap.
  • I can leave glowing reviews for great stuff.
  • I can read others' reviews for a more informed purchasing decision.
  • I can buy things as gifts for my friends without needing the item to be transfer-yes.
  • I can often find a demo to try first.

As to "see item inworld":  If I bother to log into SL, the slurl better take me directly to the item.  Few things are more annoying than having to do MORE searching, in game, when the slurl takes you to the store entrance for a multi-region store.  The only way to make that worse is to set the landing point to the entrance as well, as it screws up double-tapping to the item you wanna look at when you've finally found it.  When this happens, I usually tp home, log off, close the tab for the annoying merchant, and buy from a more reasonable MP merchant.

The only exceptions I'll make are for high-end houses (Tromp L'oiel has a great demo-rezzer area), or tiny roadside shops with very cheap but fun items that I come across while exploring.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rabid.  Everything you wrote is true, just as it is about shopping on Amazon instead of running all over town finding stuff.

But it's also true that we all need interesting places to visit in SL, so we can wear and use all that great stuff we brought.  LOTS of those places are on sims that rely on rents from shops to keep them going. And when it comes to urban-theme places, nothing looks worse than a street of empty shops. (That's just like RL too.)

So my request is about looking beyond the shopping as just a way to buy stuff.  Just like "Buy Local" campaigns in RL towns, it's the idea of supporting a community. 

• Like 1

I mostly shop in world. Occasionally,  there is a certain piece of gacha I am looking for ( I rarely buy it these days), and would rather search MP for it instead of wasting time and money on pulls. Otherwise I am in world, shopping events and main stores on regular basis. Stores don't always update their market places readily, and sometimes there is a difference in price since MP charges the merchants a fee . MP is very convenient, but I am someone who loves to shop and browse in real life, so I don't usually mind it taking a bit more time.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:08 AM, Dana Enyo said:

This is a request (actually a couple of them) from me as a pretty new creator.

First is, please try to shop inworld, not just on MP.  Marketplace is our Amazon; everything is there, all searchable and Oh so easy. 

But it's inworld shops that make SL's cities and malls interesting and vibrant.  The rent I pay helps the music venues on those sims stay open; the colorful shop looks WAY better than an empty storefront.  (Just like RL, by the way.)  I always put the SLurl in there so you can "See item in Second Life, and I always try to use that when I visit an MP shop.)

Sim owners, you could help!  I now have two shops in places where I am paying a percent of sales instead of fixed rent.  I think there would be WAY fewer empty shops if more owners did this, and it would be a real shot in the arm for new creators.  Imagine walking thru Detroit, or down New York's Christopher Street, and seeing unique new things behind every window?

If merchants would design their stores to be more customer friendly, they'd get more customers in them. It's that simple.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 1

It's not a store owner's job to tell people where or how to shop, it's up to the supplier to find the venues where they can find the demand. People just don't do the store shopping thing the same way they used to, a lot of people shop via events and sales that they browse on sites such as Seraphim or find things that they see blogged or advertised on Flickr by following people and creators whose style they enjoy.

You don't change the market so that it becomes more convenient for you, you either meet the market or find ways to make it more convenient for your customers. 

That said, some people still do shop primarily via going to stores, and others still frequent stores - heck, try getting into Blueberry during a sale. So having an in-world store may absolutely be beneficial - but again, most people who shop don't look for pretty-looking stores, they want ease of navigation; I've left a lot of stores without buying anything simply because the lag-inducing over-cluttering made being there a damned chore. I've never heard of people going to stores to 'show off' what they're wearing, people rather do that at social venues such as hangouts and clubs.

• Like 1

Thank you Orwar!  Good points all.

I'm mainly saying that those hangouts and clubs depend partially on the rents from shops to stay open.  Moving only to MP and events really has a ripple effect that I'm trying to get a handle on with this discussion.  And maybe going farther: is there a way to entice more people into those shops?  How do we make that experience more pleasant and fun?

I shop almost entirely on the MP because I am almost always searching for something very specific either for my home or to wear.

Until there exists an in-world search tool that works like the MP Search, and can provide me with landmarks to all stores currently offering the specific item I'm looking for (eg, "gingham dress, blue and white, maitreya", then in-world shopping is of no use to me.

Many people say "no store no sale" but in my case its quite literally, "no MP,  no sale".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dana Enyo said:

Thank you Orwar!  Good points all.

I'm mainly saying that those hangouts and clubs depend partially on the rents from shops to stay open.  Moving only to MP and events really has a ripple effect that I'm trying to get a handle on with this discussion.  And maybe going farther: is there a way to entice more people into those shops?  How do we make that experience more pleasant and fun?

I can't say I've ever shopped at a store connected to a club I go to. I don't even bother looking at the ad boards they have up if any.    Even I did happen to notice it, I'd probably still search for their main store or MP store and shop there.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:35 AM, Orwar said:

It's not a store owner's job to tell people where or how to shop, it's up to the supplier to find the venues where they can find the demand. People just don't do the store shopping thing the same way they used to, a lot of people shop via events and sales that they browse on sites such as Seraphim or find things that they see blogged or advertised on Flickr by following people and creators whose style they enjoy.

You don't change the market so that it becomes more convenient for you, you either meet the market or find ways to make it more convenient for your customers. 

That said, some people still do shop primarily via going to stores, and others still frequent stores - heck, try getting into Blueberry during a sale. So having an in-world store may absolutely be beneficial - but again, most people who shop don't look for pretty-looking stores, they want ease of navigation; I've left a lot of stores without buying anything simply because the lag-inducing over-cluttering made being there a damned chore. I've never heard of people going to stores to 'show off' what they're wearing, people rather do that at social venues such as hangouts and clubs.

Yeah, if I'm going to a busy store, I've probably got my complexity settings low enough that you're all jellydolls anyway! 😄

I shop mostly on MP unless its for buildings or landscaping stuff then I like to see them in-world. But clothes almost 100% on Marketplace. I can get Demos easy to try on and if the MP listing states its cheaper in-world I will go to the in-World store. But I like the ability to read reviews as well as leave reviews and also its convenient.

It annoys me when a MP store doesn't have demos and also annoys me when they state demos are in-world only. So while I'm standing there naked trying things on I have to get dressed just to go grab a demo. More than half the time I wont bother and 95% of the time if there is no demo for the clothing I wont buy.

I do think it is important to have in-world stores for many reasons. Especially if you sell things other than clothes.

I like to shop in world, I never know what  I'm going to find and it's often easier to see everything camming around than scrolling through MP. Especially since each color has to be listed separately (please fix this!!!) and then there are the other stores around that I might not have seen.

I miss when there were really cool shopping sims like Starlustland that was awesome.

I do shop at events but if I like something at an event I'll go and check out the store and buy things there.

Also when I'm out shopping I will check out what other people are wearing or look at their picks and find places to shop from there.

If I'm looking for something particular I use the Marktplace but .. it's always a fight and the filtering isn't as precise as I would like

• Like 1

Thank you Milly!  I hope you'll stop by my En Yo! shop sometime.

Some of you have mentioned events.  I've explored those but not participated.  They're expensive, feel like an airport terminal and benefit only the promoter; I just feel I would rather support a music venue (Nat's, The Fern and Pasos Latinis) or urban community.(Christopher Street).  But that's just my preference. 

Edited by Dana Enyo

On 6/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, Rabid Cheetah said:

No.  I only buy on the MP.  Why?

• I can enter a search item, and not be stuck with just one merchant.
  • I can open a new tab for each interesting item, then flip back and forth to compare them.

I just came back after a long break and I find it very difficult to find clothes i like on MP. I only see clothes that show more skin than clothes so to speak and I will get cold if i wear them 🥶 I have searched tons of different tags but it doesnt matter what i do I always end up "finding" those tiny micro bikini stuff clothes and cleavage down to my toes  🤣 What am i doing wrong? I dont have adult activated on MP either (or elsewhere either) 😳 Im certainly not a bigot, each to their own, but its just not my style. So i would be very thankful for some tips and tricks how to find my kind of clothes here. 🙃

And maybee this is something to look at when SL wants to attract new ppl... Some may be put off by seeing too much of this type of clothes? 🤐

Edited by Always Incognito
spelling

24 minutes ago, Always Incognito said:

I just came back after a long break and I find it very difficult to find clothes i like on MP. I only see clothes that show more skin than clothes so to speak and I will get cold if i wear them 🥶 I have searched tons of different tags but it doesnt matter what i do I always end up "finding" those tiny micro bikini stuff clothes and cleavage down to my toes  🤣 What am i doing wrong? I dont have adult activated on MP either (or elsewhere either) 😳 Im certainly not a bigot, each to their own, but its just not my style. So i would be very thankful for some tips and tricks how to find my kind of clothes here. 🙃

And maybee this is something to look at when SL wants to attract new ppl... Some may be put off by seeing too much of this type of clothes? 🤐

we have been down this road so many times in a few threads in here.  There are some "key" words that are used to bring up the skimpy type clothes,  so when searching if you use the word "club"  or "sexy"  you are gonna get a load of them.  Try using "casual" or "modest" instead.  And with BOM you can always use a system layer under those ultra low necklines or nipple showing styles, like a modesty shirt or something underneath.  I do that all the time, and often offer these "modesty" shirts along with a too revealing top or dress included with some of the clothing I make. So people have  a choice of how they wish to wear it.  And I agree with  you, not all of us want to show off what we got,  but there are so many who do that the demand is there for these type of clothes, so that is why they are so prolific.  But trust me, there are others out there, nice tasteful styles, it just takes some work to find them, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

my suggestion is to check out flickr or SL blogs and find clothes that you like there but some places you may want to check out are: The Secret Store, Giz Soren, Fashionably Dead, Tres Blah, Neve.

I'm not sure key words because a lot of times people will use various key words even though they don't have anything to do with a listing so that can be hard. 

And if you are in world and see someone dressed the way you want to look check out their profile for groups ,or ask where they got something etc.

13 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

I just came back after a long break and I find it very difficult to find clothes i like on MP. I only see clothes that show more skin than clothes so to speak and I will get cold if i wear them 🥶 I have searched tons of different tags but it doesn't matter what i do I always end up "finding" those tiny micro bikini stuff clothes and cleavage down to my toes  🤣 What am i doing wrong? I don't have adult activated on MP either (or elsewhere either) 😳 I'm certainly not a bigot, each to their own, but its just not my style. So i would be very thankful for some tips and tricks how to find my kind of clothes here. 🙃

And maybe this is something to look at when SL wants to attract new ppl... Some may be put off by seeing too much of this type of clothes? 🤐

The MP is a search engine.  Like any software, you just gotta fiddle with it.  This is especially true with search engines, and more so the MP, because there's really no way to know if you're gonna like something until you actually see it.  One thing I do, because I have a more real-word proportioned body than the typical SL avi, is ensure that anything I buy is modifiable -- then I can stretch it to cover up...or to reveal more.

So.  Tips.  I dunno.  Regardless of what you enter as  search terms, you're just going to have to sift through stuff.  I still find this a lot quicker and less stressful than the alternative of shopping in-world.

For your specific tastes?  I've found plenty of tasteful outfits, even though I'm not even searching for them.  You're in luck with your tastes:  Because less-skimpy outfits aren't as popular, they don't sell well, and therefore usually have a lower price.  Try searching by lowest price first, then play around with the search settings to get different results.  Suggested search terms...hmmm...

• Modest
  • Casual
  • Soccer mom
  • Formal
  • Business atire
  • Hajib
  • Snood
  • Medevial
  • Classy

Some of these might not give you specifically what you are looking for, but click on 'em anyhow and check out the merchants' other outfits;  If they serve those looking for the above search terms, then they're more likely to have what you're looking for than Boobs 'R' Us or whatever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1021 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.