Latest MacOS will not allow Firestorm to run

CaerolleClaudel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got a MacBook, and cannot get the Firestorm viewer to work. I get an error that the app cannot be verified to be free of malware. My understanding that the verification is something added in the last few months by Apple. The official throws a slightly less bad error, and the SL site says you can get past that with Cntl-click, but the Firestorm one just won't run, and the error gives really only an option to trash the app. I guess  could use the official app, but it is so poorly-featured compared with FS (the worst is not having built-in AO, I would have to try to figure out how to set up a wearable one, and I have not done that in years). Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

• 1 year later...

I have one of the latest macbook laptops, it just blockes me from dowloading Firestorm. This is certainly the first and very last Apple computer I will ever touch. they are so limited the mouse has no speed at all. Any one have any idea hoe to block apple from blocking FS viewer

26 minutes ago, Pamus Bing said:

I have one of the latest macbook laptops, it just blockes me from dowloading Firestorm. This is certainly the first and very last Apple computer I will ever touch. they are so limited the mouse has no speed at all. Any one have any idea hoe to block apple from blocking FS viewer

Did you try what was posted above?

Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Apple Support

49 minutes ago, Pamus Bing said:

You can adjust trackpad tracking speed in the "Trackpad" pane of "System Preferences" (2nd from the top in the menu). The same setting is available (via the "Mouse" pane) for Apple's mouse, should you use one with your MacBook.

Apple's security provisions to require an extra permission step, as explained in the link I provided, and Rowan re-provided.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
QA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, xxVi3perxx said:

I hate macs lol SL burned my mac to the ground literally it stopped working. 

I'm in my 39th year of failure free enjoyment of Macs, 14 of them spent in SL.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
I keep forgetting that our first birthday is the start of our second year.
  • Like 1

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Some issues never die.

I realize that, but threads that have had no new activity for over a year should. People should just a start a new thread or if their is important info in the old one, link to it. I cannot recall the last time I logged into the Forum and now I am getting email notifications. When I was here I hated seeing something that looked interesting and then realizing someone had bumped a three-year-old thread that had completely-out-of-date info. Just my opinion, though; I can just shut off notifications for me part. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pamus Bing said:

Sorry I asked. seems the apple lovers dont want to help

FS worked on the laptop. now the latest wont load, LL viewer will loat but it is so limited

You might try wording it as a simple request for help, rather than a screed against Macs. From a quick glance it seems you triggered reactions against your attack on Macs rather than engaging people’s desire to help others.

I am not going to read back, but that is likely why I started this thread in the first place. MacOS is far more picky about stuff, for security reasons, and you have to jump through some hoops to get Firestorm to load, or at I did. A pain, for sure, unless you have used Macs a long long time and learned all their idiosyncrasies. Definitely a different system than Windows or Linux. Good luck! :)

2 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I realize that, but threads that have had no new activity for over a year should. People should just a start a new thread or if their is important info in the old one, link to it. I cannot recall the last time I logged into the Forum and now I am getting email notifications. When I was here I hated seeing something that looked interesting and then realizing someone had bumped a three-year-old thread that had completely-out-of-date info. Just my opinion, though; I can just shut off notifications for me part. :)

report your own topic, they should lock it.

The latest Firestorm should be notarized, meaning there should not be any issues from the Apple side of the equation to download, install and run it.  There might of course be other issues with their code that blocks it from running on M1/M2 processors.

You can try my Dayturn viewer builds, which are signed and notarized with my Apple developer ID. In addition it has a number of updates to the code to make it more compatible with newer version of macOS. It is also built with the latest Xcode on a Mac with M1 processor and verified to run under Rosetta2 on Apple Silicon.

You can download the preview version from here

Edited by Gavin Hird
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.