Why do my items keep disappearing from my inventory?!

CloudRedHeart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This has been going on for some time but when I try to find something in my inventory I know I have and cannot find it, I have to go back to the marketplace history and get the items I'm missing redelivered(IF I bought it off the marketplace!). This is driving me crazy with not knowing what I have missing from my inventory to have to get it redelivered. An example is I knew I had a "Follow grab hug HUD" and was going to hug a friend with it to find it NOT in my inventory when I know I had the item. Why does this keep happening to me?!?

8 answers to this question

4 hours ago, CloudRedHeart said:

This has been going on for some time but when I try to find something in my inventory I know I have and cannot find it, I have to go back to the marketplace history and get the items I'm missing redelivered(IF I bought it off the marketplace!). This is driving me crazy with not knowing what I have missing from my inventory to have to get it redelivered. An example is I knew I had a "Follow grab hug HUD" and was going to hug a friend with it to find it NOT in my inventory when I know I had the item. Why does this keep happening to me?!?

I agree this has been happening a LOT lately.  A couple of things if this is not the "empty folder" issue which is covered in the link Marianne posted. 

Search (Firestorm anyway) doesn't search the RECIVED folder at least for me -- so that can be a problem.  

You can try logging into another viewer (Linden if you are using Firestorm) and see if the item is there.  If so, it "may"  THEN be there when you log back into your default viewer (this is a newly found phenomena for ME anyway).

What appears to be happening -- again for ME -- is that inventory search isn't working well any longer. Sometimes yes and sometimes no,  but I have proven to myself over and over again (this from a few months back when I was doing all the 52 colors posts ahead of time) that the items ARE actually there.  I can find them by looking through my inventory by hand.   So they aren't really missing.  It is just a problem with inventory search. 

Not sure if that is what is happening to you too but I can't believe I am the only one with the problem. Most likely a lot of people have it but don't notice it.  For me, all the conversation about groups not working means little because I never do anything with groups but put my tag on to get gifts or to rez furniture :D.   So things can be broken and plenty of people won't even know. 

Good luck.  And yes, I did try typing in the EXACT name of the item (many tests) and search didn't find them.  

I'm on the LL viewer. And sometimes the viewer starts to reload the inventory according to a text message in the header of the inventory.
During that time items can be missing. I always log out for half an hour or so then.
When the message is gone, the complete inventory is back.

And I always try to keep the most important parts of my inventory sorted, so I can find things manually (sometimes 😆)

Edited by Sid Nagy
Editting is my new forum hobby.

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Search (Firestorm anyway) doesn't search the RECIVED folder at least for me -- so that can be a problem.  

If you move your received  folder into the main inventory section then search will search it.  At least it always does for me.

• Like 1

I'd love to know why my item count keeps going down and then root folders are missing items that I know I have.... I just don't get it. Tried logging on the SL viewer and some items were restored, but the item count went down AGAIN. Should I be worried that SL is slowly eating things I've bought?

14 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

I'd love to know why my item count keeps going down and then root folders are missing items that I know I have.... I just don't get it. Tried logging on the SL viewer and some items were restored, but the item count went down AGAIN. Should I be worried that SL is slowly eating things I've bought?

Overlooking the received folder issues which wasn't my problem of late and doesn't sound like yours either --- there definitely is something going on (more than normal) :D.  It may be the "cloud"  or it may be something else. A few years ago (two or three?) there was a huge rash of reported problems and eventually The Lab agreed that there were issues.  People were loosing tons of items. Most of them were never returned. 

This isn't exactly the same issue since -- as you say -- sometimes logging into another viewer OR  in the case of the current "missing outfits" problem someone is having, logging in with the same viewer but from a different computer -- gets the items to appear again.  Along with this though I have found a larger than normal amount of items that I know I had and no longer do.   

This comes with the territory and has been happening for well over a dozen years. So yes, you are likely really losing things but no, there isn't really much to be done.   If you have expensive items that cannot be redelivered upon loss, the the safest thing is to keep them rezzed. That isn't 100 percent safe but the best we have.  

I make multiple copies of many items, some in "backup" folders, some in dated sub folders etc.   I still lose things which has me thinking that the items in question are lost somehow in the database.   Since I have a fairly good memory and I always back up my files when taking down a build or a styling I can frequently get the items back from within a coalesced object.   But often they are just gone.

Over a decade ago my whole "Home and Garden" folder disappeared,  a fellow blogger lost 10,000 poses (long before redelivery and what she was doing with 10,000 poses I have NO idea :D)   and a good friend lost her whole store inventory  -- anything that wasn't rezzed at the moment and could be copied back into inventory was gone including all the textures used to MAKE the items.  So it is best I think to be philosophical about it all and realize than in many cases you can replace the items lost with something even better -- if not at the moment then "soon" . 

Long ago people used to say that LL never lost any items.  After so many reports, that is no longer the case. The database fairies anger easily it seems. 

On 4/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Overlooking the received folder issues which wasn't my problem of late and doesn't sound like yours either --- there definitely is something going on (more than normal) :D.  It may be the "cloud"  or it may be something else. A few years ago (two or three?) there was a huge rash of reported problems and eventually The Lab agreed that there were issues.  People were loosing tons of items. Most of them were never returned. 

This isn't exactly the same issue since -- as you say -- sometimes logging into another viewer OR  in the case of the current "missing outfits" problem someone is having, logging in with the same viewer but from a different computer -- gets the items to appear again.  Along with this though I have found a larger than normal amount of items that I know I had and no longer do.   

This comes with the territory and has been happening for well over a dozen years. So yes, you are likely really losing things but no, there isn't really much to be done.   If you have expensive items that cannot be redelivered upon loss, the the safest thing is to keep them rezzed. That isn't 100 percent safe but the best we have.  

I make multiple copies of many items, some in "backup" folders, some in dated sub folders etc.   I still lose things which has me thinking that the items in question are lost somehow in the database.   Since I have a fairly good memory and I always back up my files when taking down a build or a styling I can frequently get the items back from within a coalesced object.   But often they are just gone.

Over a decade ago my whole "Home and Garden" folder disappeared,  a fellow blogger lost 10,000 poses (long before redelivery and what she was doing with 10,000 poses I have NO idea :D)   and a good friend lost her whole store inventory  -- anything that wasn't rezzed at the moment and could be copied back into inventory was gone including all the textures used to MAKE the items.  So it is best I think to be philosophical about it all and realize than in many cases you can replace the items lost with something even better -- if not at the moment then "soon" . 

Long ago people used to say that LL never lost any items.  After so many reports, that is no longer the case. The database fairies anger easily it seems. 

"Yes, I checked the Received Items and such as mentioned, only a few of the bunch that I'm missing were there. But I'm literally missing folders and some order histories. Even so I can find some of the items in my inventory only by the means of them being on an outfit. Other than that I can't seem to do anything else like find the original or order purchase."

Edited by CloudRedHeart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.