Warning - Latest Windows Update wipes logins BOTH FS and Linden viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

image.png.51f3a2dec3ba17a052586fd42d3cbd5e.png

This shows the disk containing you backup couldnot be found. It looks like some drives reassingned by the system, can you see the backup files from File Explorer? For example I have my backup of FS like this: "H:\SL\FS Backup"

1 hour ago, Rachel1206 said:

This shows the disk containing you backup couldnot be found. It looks like some drives reassingned by the system, can you see the backup files from File Explorer? For example I have my backup of FS like this: "H:\SL\FS Backup"

I did find another backup and used that and it DID restore. However it did NOT restore the logins. So I can confirm that doesn't work.  Typing them all in again. I am such a NICE gal LOL. 

It got me today, on the laptop where I am retaining Windows 10 just for the challenge. It's an old intel integrated graphics chip laptop that therefore needs 32-bit versions of the viewers.

The lost logins weren't a problem, but the new behaviour was a little alarming.

I downloaded the latest version of a TPV that I use to connect to my standalone, and when I clicked on it to install, I got a large blue square dead-centre of the display with a message "Windows prevented an unauthorized App from running on this PC". 

So, in answer to the question "What are you doing to 'make Windows better' this time?" - they're protecting me from disturbing their "windows as a service" installation by running something they themselves haven't approved?

Ok, so there's a way round it, if you look hard enough, I got the install completed. But how long is it before Windows10 won't allow you to get around the big blue box for any program that hasn't been through an official vetting stage at Redmond?

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It got me today, on the laptop where I am retaining Windows 10 just for the challenge. It's an old intel integrated graphics chip laptop that therefore needs 32-bit versions of the viewers.

The lost logins weren't a problem, but the new behaviour was a little alarming.

I downloaded the latest version of a TPV that I use to connect to my standalone, and when I clicked on it to install, I got a large blue square dead-centre of the display with a message "Windows prevented an unauthorized App from running on this PC". 

So, in answer to the question "What are you doing to 'make Windows better' this time?" - they're protecting me from disturbing their "windows as a service" installation by running something they themselves haven't approved?

Ok, so there's a way round it, if you look hard enough, I got the install completed. But how long is it before Windows10 won't allow you to get around the big blue box for any program that hasn't been through an official vetting stage at Redmond?

You just click "Learn more" and accept to continue. Blame should really be placed on software distributors, who do not provide the certificats to ensure their packed installation is valid and can be trusted.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

Blame should really be placed on software distributors, who do not provide the certificats to ensure their packed installation is valid and can be trusted.

That's our TPV dev teams, I'm not going to blame them for anything, especially not the nice ones who continue to provide me with 32-bit viewers. I think they've got enough to do already without suddenly having to dance the Microsoft Mazurka.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, because all programs that are "signed" by that Microsoft Certificate are - in fact - trustworthy ....

cannot roll my eyes nearly hard enough ....

Then do like this - not recommended for normal users, who want just a little help to keep their system secure.

Open Settings -> Click on Update & security -> Click on For developers. Use developer features, select the Sideload apps option. Confirm, reboot system.

How hard can it be, but maybe to hard to see with rolling eyes and stupid humiliation.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

Then do like this - not recommended for normal users, who want just a little help to keep their system secure.

Open Settings -> Click on Update & security -> Click on For developers. Use developer features, select the Sideload apps option. Confirm, reboot system.

How hard can it be, but maybe to hard to see with rolling eyes and stupid humiliation.

I do not use and have not used Windows for many years now. The closest thing to it I currently use is Proton and WINE. The closest thing to it I will use in the future will be ReactOS (once it properly catches up).

There is no reason whatsoever to require the average end user to enable Developer Features, least of all to circumvent something that should not even be there in the first place. Android has a similar problem with functions that should not even be behind such a 'wall' having been placed in the Developer Options (among other issues).

It is not all that hard to understand and is (part of) why I stated that I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. The other part is that a program "signed" by Microsoft is not intrinsically more "trustworthy" - such has been the case since the early days of their OS and company.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 8:01 PM, Solar Legion said:

I do not use and have not used Windows for many years now. The closest thing to it I currently use is Proton and WINE. The closest thing to it I will use in the future will be ReactOS (once it properly catches up).

There is no reason whatsoever to require the average end user to enable Developer Features, least of all to circumvent something that should not even be there in the first place. Android has a similar problem with functions that should not even be behind such a 'wall' having been placed in the Developer Options (among other issues).

It is not all that hard to understand and is (part of) why I stated that I cannot roll my eyes hard enough. The other part is that a program "signed" by Microsoft is not intrinsically more "trustworthy" - such has been the case since the early days of their OS and company.

OK Solar, I actual agree with you on this, but for the normal Windows user, they are confronted with this limitation.

And of course given the history of Microsoft trying to obstruct others and especial earlier open source, trustworthy can be questioned. But it is an attempt to secure the normal user againgst malious software.  Personal I wish, we had like an independt 3rd party certifying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

Personal I wish, we had like an independt 3rd party certifying.

That's called a bribe collector.  See ad blocking and malware blocking companies for references.

9 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

That's called a bribe collector.  See ad blocking and malware blocking companies for references.

Or imagine a people based chain-block technology veirifications - no Big Brother, no big data company, no monopoly seeking company - and the goverments, big tech companies would hate it!

On 3/14/2021 at 3:07 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Sooooo -- Last night I got the 'you need new Windows message'

image.png.fd06ce37bc084ada813679138d595267.png

Let Win10 Pro do its thing while I brushed my teeth. Things seemed OK at least the computer still started :D.

But all my logins from both Firestorm and Linden viewers are gone. No I remember all the logins except for a friends who was here some time ago so not a big deal, but wanted to worn FS folks especially to save a backup if you don't normally.  I am guessing that would put things right. I am just typing in passwords as needed.   

So we don't have to pay for new versions of Windows now, but we certainly gave up a lot of power in the process. As the saying goes, "if you didn't pay for the product, you ARE the product".  I do my best to avert that whenever and wherever I can :D.

I just wanted to report back on my own experience. Like Chic, I also got this update. After I installed it, I opened up my Firestorm and checked...

...and all my saved usernames and passwords were still there. Nothing was lost!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know if I just lucky, or what!

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.