Man Cave Event secrets?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well here is a bit of interesting info. I asked a male friend to go over and check to see if he could get gifts IN THE LINDEN VIEWER which he doesn't normally use. He was already a member of the group and just activated things.  He is getting all the gifts.  I will go over later in the Linden (painful) Viewer and see if that makes a difference for me.   My other friends were using Firestorm -- well one was my alt.   Doesn't seem like that should matter, but maybe a setting that the script wants.  He is wearing non-rigged hair and non-rigged shoes and a mesh body and head and clothing.

Just a hunch on this: is it only female avatars having problems with the gifts? I got them all just fine (except for the couple that had nothing in them) but I was just wondering if the scripts were detecting the base system avatar being worn (if that's even possible).

3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Just a hunch on this: is it only female avatars having problems with the gifts? I got them all just fine (except for the couple that had nothing in them) but I was just wondering if the scripts were detecting the base system avatar being worn (if that's even possible).

I didn't have any problems after joining the group - using my normal Lil female avatar.

No, one was male (the one that got in earlish right after a sim reset). He was using FS though.  I was wondering if it might be that I have "autoaccept" on and my alt does too. Not sure if the guy does; will ask IF the Linden viewer works for me.  Ah I see LittleMe is answering as she got the gifts when tesitng. This has definitely been a PROJECT.  

When I can get in again on the linden viewer I will see if that helps. Kind of like using EDGE to test with since it has all the default settings and no ad blocking :D.   I am glad my friend got his though. I KNEW folks were getting the gifts -- and again I don't really care about them being a GIRL, but would like to solve the mystery if possible.  I didn't think about going in the Linden viewer as a testing device. Seems like a good thing to try.  Sim was full but easier to get in lately so SOON I will report. If the other viewer doesn't solve it, then I have NO clue. 

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

Ok, it was worth checking, since Chic mentioned she'd been having issues but her male friend had no problems at all.

The first one on FS didn't get anything. The one that went over just NOW on the LINDEN viewer (at my request) got them all. That doesn't actually solve anything, but I will test the Linden viewer later and see if I have something set that the script doesn't like --- perhaps.  No other ideas. 

Just some thoughts

(1)
If a script wants to check the active group of an avatar and this group is NOT the group of the object. It will check the avatars attachments and compares the group uuids of attachment and the hardcoded group uuid in the script. Hud's don't count here as a script can't see huds. That prevents the need to set the object to the required group.

The assumption is - that every avatar has at least a body/head/hair/shoes/clothes.
So if someone sets up a clean system avatar with huds only - the script will find no group.

(2)
In heavy lag conditions we'll see if a script is designed properly or not 😁

(3)
Normally a script that spams status messages in open chat triggers in me some prejudices about the scripter - but in this case I can see the need to not run into throtteling of llRegionSayTo. Open chat is the easy way  😁

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

Just some thoughts

(1)
If a script wants to check the active group of an avatar and this group is NOT the group of the object. It will check the avatars attachments and compares the group uuids of attachment and the hardcoded group uuid in the script. Hud's don't count here as a script can't see huds. That prevents the need to set the object to the required group.

The assumption is - that every avatar has at least a body/head/hair/shoes/clothes.
So if someone sets up a clean system avatar with huds only - the script will find no group.

(2)
In heavy lag conditions we'll see if a script is designed properly or not 😁

(3)
Normally a script that spams status messages in open chat triggers in me some prejudices about the scripter - but in this case I can see the need to not run into throtteling of llRegionSayTo. Open chat is the easy way  😁

That was already mentioned and tested as well as it could be WAY up in earlier comments.  MY thinking (neither I or my male friend can get in at the moment  to test) is that it has something to do with autoaccept. This primarily because on clicking the first of many gift giving objects I got the "here is your gift - enjoy message".  Then then next one I clicked I got the "wrong group" message. This happened at least twice when I was testing, maybe more as I wasn't really looking for that. So (not being a script person but having done LOTS of beta testing in the past) I was thinking that the script tried to give me the first item but since I didn't CLICK on an ACCEPT box it wouldn't give me any more.   

IF the Linden viewer works for us, then the next test (or it could be instead of but I want to try the Linden viewer) would be to turn off auto-accept in FS and see if I could get a gift.

I KNOW for sure that I am not the only one having issues getting things as I have stood in the far end of the event and watched the chat (while I wasn't clicking) and saw the wrong group messages -- then check all the folks around me and they had the correct tag on.  So we must have something in common.  Hoping it is auto-accept.   I have NEVER had an issue like this before. Just glad it is with something that really doesn't matter all that much.  If we figure out what it is, then hopefully folks making these scripts will change the scripts LOL.  Well one could HOPE like I said.

Thanks for the input.

OK. I can GET THEM with the LINDEN viewer --- as suspected.  Going off to watch a silly movie and enjoy my not too cheap wine. Will try turning off auto-accept in FS tomorrow when I can get in again.  But that answers PART of the question.   

• Like 1

OK, I really don't know what to say. I turned off auto-accept in FS and "for a few times" it worked. I got a pop-up box ONCE. Then I got a "wrong group" message again and then it worked a couple of times with no pop-up but after that, clicking did nothing. It would say it was sending but didn't send. 

So we may never know. But it certainly seems like there are issues with that script. So I clicked on 8 or so and got three before it stopped.   Hopefully it isn't affecting TOO many people.   That's my report. I can't think of anything else to test.

image.thumb.png.7df35d53983a788c8f6c67876d58e718.png

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So we may never know. But it certainly seems like there are issues with that script. So I clicked on 8 or so and got three before it stopped. 

To the extent I've tracked the findings so far, it kinda seem less likely a script problem and more likely some weird Firestorm thing. Certainly it must usually work with Firestorm; even my testing alts had no problems using Firestorm. But there are just so many potentially interacting features and settings in that viewer, it's hard to even know how to test. Like, here's a thing:

1459373028_Screenshot2020-12-26095654.png.97e44f63c6f8cfefc15f6198c7b3e4ec.png

Now, probably that isn't even relevant, but it's another obscure setting that could theoretically interact with one of the Inventory settings (maybe related to auto-accept) and/or some other unknown viewer timing preference in one of a gazillion potential combinations. (This is the sort of thing that gets magically fixed with a fresh install, deleting all cache and other history -- but of course that's a huge pain.)

There certainly exist some fantastically obscure scripting library bugs, too -- e.g., one that depends on whether the scripted object or the avatar has the higher-valued UUID! -- but those server-side scripting bugs are rarely affected by which viewer is used.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.