Usage of Copyrighted Pictures or Game Posters

AsherWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there folks, I'm pretty new to Second Life in general and am still getting used to things. I've been designing my little living space and I had a question regarding Second Life's policy on images from copyrighted sources. Not to sell or anything, just to display in my room. Specifically, there is some official video game art/posters I'd like to put on a canvas, or maybe a movie poster. Is that allowed by Second Life or completely prohibited? Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

Reading the Terms of Service which of course you read before you agreed to it, right?  will tell you that you are not allowed to upload anything that is not YOURS or that you have express consent by the creator to upload. I am guessing that neither of those things apply in the case you mentioned.  

Is it done? Yes. It is legal. No. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, StrongZer0 said:

Actually, there is a loophole. If you make commentary about said posters in your house; say a speech bubble with how awesome it is...then it does not violate the rule. HA!

I sure wouldn't bank on that.. hehehe

If you make a copy of someone else's work and use it as a whole and then give them credit for it..That isn't fair use or getting permission to use it.

If i make a copy of the movie Brave Heart and never bought the movie, then gave them credit by writing on a disc who made the movie.. That's not fair use or having permission..

A good example of fair use is like, if I'm creating a speech and decided to quote a line from someone else's speech into my speech.. Something like, Abraham Lincoln once said,Quote "Four score and seven years ago" End Quote..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you make a copy of someone else's work and use it as a whole and then give them credit for it..That isn't fair use or getting permission to use it.

If i make a copy of the movie Brave Heart and never bought the movie, then gave them credit by writing on a disc who made the movie.. That's not fair use or having permission..

A good example of fair use is like, if I'm creating a speech and decided to quote a line from someone else's speech into my speech.. Something like, Abraham Lincoln once said,Quote "Four score and seven years ago" End Quote..

Nevertheless, courts have upheld the fair usage rights of reaction videos. Granted it is not the complete work. Courts have also granted the use of a compete work with commentary of that work. Say the image of the Mona Lisa for example. In addition, copywrites do time out, so at some point, the image will be public domain. Steamboat Willy version of Micky Mouse for example. Also, if AsherWolf has purchased the image, he is completely within his rights and the terms to display said image. 

1 hour ago, StrongZer0 said:

Nevertheless, courts have upheld the fair usage rights of reaction videos. Granted it is not the complete work. Courts have also granted the use of a compete work with commentary of that work. Say the image of the Mona Lisa for example. In addition, copywrites do time out, so at some point, the image will be public domain. Steamboat Willy version of Micky Mouse for example. Also, if AsherWolf has purchased the image, he is completely within his rights and the terms to display said image. 

They usually don't react to the whole thing, just clips of things..

If they react to a movie, you'll notice they don't play the whole movie, a comedian  they don't do the whole set.. They are using only part of  it to create content, not the whole thing..

If i remember right, Youtube has a certain amount of time they have to switch away from it before it gets tagged..

Yea, Copyrights are not forever and do open up..  But making a copy of someone else's complete work still under them  without permission..you need more than giving credit to them..

I mean unless the content owner is fine with it..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

I think parody is considered fair use that's why the use of the photos used in the memes here on SL forum get a pass most of the time.  To really be fair use for parody, you'd have to add a word bubble and some parody is what the poster above I believe is saying to your poster.  IOW, change it; parody it, don't use it as is.  I think the changing it or parodying it especially is proof you are not going to sell it as is or something like that.  Look up fair use parody.

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

AsherWolf,

If you purchase a digital image and you are using it for yourself and not in a commercial way, you may decorate your home with that image. To this end, it is not advised; although may be done, to download an image from Google as it has a high likelihood of not having cleared the copyright standards and may likely violate the TOS. Nevertheless, there are some older public domain movie posters that may even be cooler. https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=public+domain+movie+posters&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNhsXAquTtAhWOPXAKHYVSB6cQjJkEegQIBxAB&biw=1920&bih=975

I hope that this is a clear-cut answer to your question.

1 hour ago, StrongZer0 said:

I replied to that one already.. The response notice in the forum may have sent you  to the first one.. hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.