Mouselook - unresponsive to small movements

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Β  Β So I've been playing around a little with a gun (in a totally safe way!), but I've found that aiming is a chore due to how mouselook responds to mouse movements. If I want to just move the cursor a little bit when aiming, nothing happens, so I move the mouse further, and finally the cursor moves - and of course does so much too much instead.

Β  Β I've tried playing around with the settings for mouselook, and the sensitivity doesn't appear to do anything about it, it only makes the movements faster when I well get there. It's a little annoying when you're trying to aim at a small target down range.Β 

Β  Β Any way to fix this?

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

I suppose it could be lag, although I don't know why it would affect you only in mouselook and why Wulfie would see it only with Firestorm.Β  Try seeing what your mouse does in the standard LL viewer in mouselook, and see if you have the problem in another (preferably empty) region.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Look in the mouse app on your computer and see if there's a sensitivity adjustment there.

Β  Β It only occurs in mouselook, it works fine everywhere else, including when not in mouselook in the viewer.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Also, change the batteries in it, if it uses batteries.

Β  Β Nuh, it's a proper mouse, with a cord, the way <insert deity of your choice> intended!Β 

How severe is it? I can confirm that it happens on Firestorm, most noticably while zoomed in (hold right click and scroll up), but I'm talking maybe fractions of a degree at no zoom.

Other viewers Black Dragon and maybe even the LL viewer) don't have this issue as far as I recall.

I'd like to know the answer too.

Β 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β So I've been playing around a little with a gun (in a totally safe way!), but I've found that aiming is a chore due to how mouselook responds to mouse movements. If I want to just move the cursor a little bit when aiming, nothing happens, so I move the mouse further, and finally the cursor moves - and of course does so much too much instead.

Β  Β I've tried playing around with the settings for mouselook, and the sensitivity doesn't appear to do anything about it, it only makes the movements faster when I well get there. It's a little annoying when you're trying to aim at a small target down range.Β 

Β  Β Any way to fix this?

Β 

Old-school Mouse Maintenance:

Unscrew the cap under your mouse, and remove the weighted ball (usually they are rubber-coated).Β  Clean this ball, and also use something like a pencil eraser to remove all the dirt and built-up hairs that accumulate on the horizontal and vertical rollers.

Β 

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

How severe is it?

Β  Β Like, inconsistently severe.

Β  Β It sometimes feels as if I'm 'pushing' into a direction, and when the cursor decides to unstick, the avatar model shifts too (noticed this when testing whether having my avatar visible whilst in mouselook would somehow help, which it didn't).Β 

Β  Β I also tried to move my cursor in a circular motion, first outside of mouselook to make sure that it moves smoothly (which it does!), and then in mouselook. If only I had any idea how to record a gif whilst in mouselook .. Basically the camera doesn't move in a circular motion, but bumpily jumps from side to side and up and down, occasionally deciding just not to move with the mouse, making the view slowly drift into a random direction, and then another.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Old-school Mouse Maintenance:

Β  Β 1. people still use rubber ball mice?

Β  Β 2. the issue isΒ onlyΒ in mouselook.Β 

• Like 1

Β  Β Oh, capturing a gif in mouselook actually worked out rather easily. Uh. Not that it's very helpful due to the low framerate that makes it look choppy when I move my cursor normally - trust me, it's smooth!

b6b85b804701890a0daf584f7a997ef7.gif

8726837ea3013048381e39ce1afb4213.gif

Β 

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Try seeing what your mouse does in the standard LL viewer in mouselook, and see if you have the problem in another (preferably empty) region.

Β  Β Okay, tested both the standard viewer and Black Dragon. No issues in either of the two.Β 

Β  Β And I tried TPing to two other places, and it's still the same (it's been like this forΒ yearsΒ though - I never committed to any 'FPS' type stuff in SL because I figured mouselook is just borked, but I figured since people actually do play shooter games and stuff in SL, surely it can't be like this for everyone).Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Okay, tested both the standard viewer and Black Dragon. No issues in either of the two.Β 

Β  Β And I tried TPing to two other places, and it's still the same

Very strange indeed.Β  That does seem to narrow the field to being a viewer problem, and in particular, a Firestorm one.Β  This is something that @Whirly Fizzle or developers on their team should hear about -- if they aren't already aware.

• Like 1

Some more context with a bit better footage than Orwar: (Though my mouselook seems to behave slightly differently.)

https://puu.sh/GYQGa/2f0e66fc8d.webm

I'm moving my mouse very lightly, which causes jagged movement on Firestorm. The angle of the jaggedness seems constant, so it becomes more pronounced with lower FOV like when you zoom in with Mouselook.

Edit: My issue seems to be present in both LL and Black Dragon viewer. I think it's simply because mouse sensitivity isn't adjusted for the current level of zoom. This probably isn't the same as Orwar's issue.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Some more context with a bit better footage than Orwar: (Though my mouselook seems to behave slightly differently.)

https://puu.sh/GYQGa/2f0e66fc8d.webm

I'm moving my mouse very lightly, which causes jagged movement on Firestorm. The angle of the jaggedness seems constant, so it becomes more pronounced with lower FOV like when you zoom in with Mouselook.

Edit: My issue seems to be present in both LL and Black Dragon viewer. I think it's simply because mouse sensitivity isn't adjusted for the current level of zoom. This probably isn't the same as Orwar's issue.

Yea, mouse/camera sensitivity isn't updated to the zoom level you use. Good thing you bring that up again, i should take a look into that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the verge of "fixing" this. Turns out this has been a little goosechase. There are several things here at work that cause this behavior.

First. I thought it would simply be the slope threshold that the left click uses (4 pixel), removing that however didn't solve this so i had to dig deeper.

Second. Turns out the real issue here (aside from the slope threshold) is the Mouse Smoothing that is used outside of (what the description suggests) Mouselook.

Third. Digging even deeper it looks like the issue is only the last part of the Mouse Smoothing, so rather than simply making it work only while in Mouselook (which would still present the issue of it not precisely acting upon your mouse movement while in Mouselook) i opted to turn off the full integer rounding that is applied at the end which seems to have changed all 1-2 pixel shortΒ burst movements into 0 pixel movement, effectively rounding the mouse movement away completely if you didn't move your mouse fast enough or far enough in a very short timeframe, thus ignoring them.

Β 

Also:

https://gfycat.com/unequaledpowerfulladybug

UnequaledPowerfulLadybug-size_restricted

• Like 1

Old thread, but it's the only one on this matter.

Recently moved from Singularity to Firestorm and i'm now plagued by the same issue.

It's essentially like any camera movement, regardless of it being in mouselook or not, has a deadzone for small movements.

I can't be the only one still annoyed by this? I'm so confused.

Edited by Nuup Bergan

On 1/22/2023 at 6:51 PM, Nuup Bergan said:

Old thread, but it's the only one on this matter.

Recently moved from Singularity to Firestorm and i'm now plagued by the same issue.

It's essentially like any camera movement, regardless of it being in mouselook or not, has a deadzone for small movements.

I can't be the only one still annoyed by this? I'm so confused.

I worked around this issue by raising the mouse sensitivity in windows settings and lowering the sensitivity on the mouse using the buttons on it. Now it's as smooth as other viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.