Tech query driving me nuts!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently got delivered an HP Envy 360. And it is driving me up the wall ☹️

Every time I try to type in the Google bar, it gets as far as 3 letters then starts opening up random Windows 10 pages. I've never had this problem on a laptop before.

I went to an SL club earlier and couldn't even complete a sentence in the chat bar - every time I hit an e, I started jumping (even though my cursor's still in the chat bar). Even trying to search on Marketplace opens up Windows features every time I type a few letters, and it's taking me ages to type a sentence (I'm writing this right now on my older but more reliable work PC laptop, and the difference is amazing)...

I am really considering going back to Macbook, even though it's more expensive. But if you know anything about PCs, is there a way of stopping this feature? It's driving me nuts and though the fps/quality on SL is great, I can't type in chat without a dozen windows popping up. 

I am totally dumb about computer stuff so if the Envy 360 DOESN'T suck, and there IS a solution, please explain it like I'm a baby in a pram :) I will be so grateful if anyone can help me out...this is the first time I've ever experienced this. 

Edited by Rat Luv

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Every time I try to type in the Google bar, it gets as far as 3 letters then starts opening up random Windows 10 pages. I've never had this problem on a laptop before.

I went to an SL club earlier and couldn't even complete a sentence in the chat bar - every time I hit an e, I started jumping (even though my cursor's still in the chat bar). Even trying to search on Marketplace opens up Windows features every time I type a few letters, and it's taking me ages to type a sentence (I'm writing this right now on my older but more reliable work PC laptop, and the difference is amazing)...

I am really considering going back to Macbook, even though it's more expensive. But if you know anything about PCs, is there a way of stopping this feature? It's driving me nuts and though the fps/quality on SL is great, I can't type in chat without a dozen windows popping up. 

I am totally dumb about computer stuff so if the Envy 360 DOESN'T suck, and there IS a solution, please explain it like I'm a baby in a pram :) I will be so grateful if anyone can help me out...this is the first time I've ever experienced this. 

Are sticky keys enabled?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

OK, first Alt+Enter is the default short cut in all major browsers Chrome, Firefox, IE/Edge to open a search in a new tab.

In Windows it self Alt+Enter opens the properties of a selected file/object/item.

None of the above should in anyway interfere with, what you are doing in your SL viewer. As  @RowanMinx write, check if sticky keys are enabled. If not you must likely have a keyboard on your laptop or external keyboard with fault, where the Alt key is hanging. This could a simple thing as dust, hair in the key.

A wireless keyboard where there are interference from other radio sources or even low battery can also behave erratic.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

A wireless keyboard where there are interference from other radio sources or even low battery can also behave erratic.

Reminds me of the time I completely factory reset my tablet because it was acting erratically. Was a BT keyboard in my closet I had paired, hated, and forgotten with stuff recently stacked on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Per answers.microsoft.com

There is a keyboard troubleshooter under settings->update & security -> troubleshoot -> additional troubleshooters -> keyboard.

You could also uninstall the keyboard in the Device Manager and reboot the computer which will reinstall the drivers.

In my experience, I was given a laptop that had a different key layout than what I was used to and I kept hitting the wrong key as touch typist. Check if the keys match the previous keyboard you were using. You might be able to re-map the keys to your old layout or you might have to learn to type differently.

• Thanks 1

• Rat Luv changed the title to Tech query driving me nuts!
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Sorry to do this again - does anyone know if there's a contact at LL for viewer support if you're NOT a premium member? Or an inworld support group for the official SL viewer? Thanks.

There's an SL viewer thread in the Technology section of this forum:  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/308-second-life-viewer/  

I hope someone there can help you

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.