Fixed Camera add-on, or MP item?

JentheBean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a way to have a fixed camera that I can point at a pose stand, so if I get off the pose stand and move around, I can always go back to the pose stand and the click on the 'camera' and get the exact same view, crop and angle every time? Maybe something on the AH, or a script I can drop in a prim?

Thank you,

51 minutes ago, JentheBean said:

Is there a way to have a fixed camera that I can point at a pose stand, so if I get off the pose stand and move around, I can always go back to the pose stand and the click on the 'camera' and get the exact same view, crop and angle every time? Maybe something on the AH, or a script I can drop in a prim?

Thank you,

Firestorm has the ability to save camera settings, though I don't remember exactly how right now.  Someone will pop in here soon with specifics -- or you can ask in the Firestorm Support group inworld or check their Help pages.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling (of course)
  • Thanks 1

Setting the camera for a prim you sit on is pretty simple (if you can modify it):

{
    state_entry ()
    {
        llSetCameraAtOffset (<0.0, 0.0, 1.0>);
        llSetCameraEyeOffset (<3.0, 0.0, 1.0>);
    }
}

You drop the script into the prim and then you can delete it: these camera properties of a prim persist without the script being present.

Inevitably you'll want to tweak the actual numbers used. The "At" is where the camera points at in relation to the prim, and the "Eye" is where the camera is located in relation to the prim. For each the values are the distance forwards/backwards, the distance left/right and the distance up/down, all from the centre of the prim.

It does get tricky when the prim has been turned on it's side, or the sit position isn't facing the same direction as the prim's forward, and to help cope with that edit the prim and set the reference to "Local" in the editor window. The red green and blue arrows will show you the actual directions you need to consider.

Then when you sit on the prim your camera will move to the specified settings (provided it's in the default setting – press Esc a couple of time to get it there).

• Like 2

Yes.

In Firestorm and Black Dragon Viewer both, you have an option to 'save' and 'load' a camera position, I mention it in my camera control guide here: 

There are also camera position save HUDs you can find on the MP. I know there's at least one for free. Cough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2020 at 1:07 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I always use an alt when taking photos. Technically, it’s a selfie even if there are two avatars. 

That's what I was thinking but I just didn't want to set up an email account and whole account just for outfit photos. 

Right, the great suggestions above are for if I want to "be the camera". That I understand.  I need the camera to be fixed, locked in place, then move around even leave the simc and come back home and the camera would be fixed in place like the pose stand is. I could just stand on the pose stand, touch the camera (prim) and the image would be captured.

Maybe this can't be done and I do have to use an alt. Put them on a pose stand, lock their camera position, and just never touch them.

Thank you everyone

• Like 1

I find using an alt as the photographer easier when working on a project such as a multiplicity photograph. The alt positions the camera in the frame and not move anywhere, then go to the other viewer where the main is and they can switch poses and move around the scene to their heart's content. Return to the alt's viewer and snap away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JentheBean said:

Right, the great suggestions above are for if I want to "be the camera". That I understand.  I need the camera to be fixed, locked in place, then move around even leave the simc and come back home and the camera would be fixed in place like the pose stand is. I could just stand on the pose stand, touch the camera (prim) and the image would be captured.

Maybe this can't be done and I do have to use an alt. Put them on a pose stand, lock their camera position, and just never touch them.

Which viewer do you use?  If Firestorm, do the following:

Under the Avatar menu, select Toolbar Buttons.  Find the button that says 'Phototools camera' - the picture looks like a motion picture camera, rather than the snapshot camera:
image.png.4fd7fd8d41845f0aa49a4e6f46947a2b.png     
   Mine is grayed out because I already have it on a toolbar.

Drag that button to the bottom or side toolbar for ease of finding later -- you might need to Unlock the toolbar first (the Locked checkbox at the bottom of the Buttons window) - then close the Buttons window (or re-lock it first, if you want):
image.png.c02be090ea0541ec88762f8557161368.png                     

Click on that 'Phototools camera' in the toolbar and that will open the tool into the viewer:
image.png.c09423603ecb59ec1eea49f676d04e5d.png
   Yes, it says "Cameratools" on this window even though the associated toolbar button is called "Phototools camera".

Now, get everything set up the way you want it, as far a your screen position / angle.  Basically exactly like it would be just before actually taking the picture.  On the Cameratoolls, click the tiny icon that is second to the right -- looks like an eye with a downward arrow:
image.png.95d6f0918d419b920ddd14c7a04e1003.png

Go off and do whatever you want, TP elsewhere if desired.  When you return and are ready to put your camera view to that same setting, click the toolbar button again to bring up the Cameratools and then click the farthest right icon - the one with the eye and an upward arrow:
image.png.5623452a13df8c17daa222e18b17d8ee.png

You camera view should go right back to the saved setup.  You do still have to open the actual Camera and take the shot.

You can do something similar in the Black Dragon viewer, though I do not know if it is done the same way.

If you use the regular SL Viewer, best I know, the above cannot be done.   

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.