When You Were... A Newb Challenge

Tara Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. Was there something that took a while to understand?

working out what all the viewer menu items did. And working out what they didn't do

the most remembered being no Undo for take off your clothes. Intimately mixed in with not immediately understanding that Wear means Replace. So take off and then Wear like in the real world. Resulting in trying to find some place far away from nosey eyes to get dressed

2. What was the most helpful in getting started?

Places like Tower of Prims, College of Scripting and the Particle Laboratory. I was really interested in how to make stuff when I started

3. Which part of SL do you wish more people knew about?

More a wish that the Library Starter Avatars come with a basic BOM mesh body and head, and that the Library Starter avatars mesh clothes, hair shoes, etc, fit all of the starter avatars by body gender type, so new people have a basic mix n' match wardrobe to experiment with from the outset

today, meshing up their avatar is the most difficult thing for new people to learn how to do I think. And there is nothing at this time, from a practical hands on pov, in the new resident onboarding experience to help them with this

i get that Linden might not want to be seen to be gomming the mesh body market, but people do need some tools (meaning available basic assets) to learn how to mesh up their avatars

• 2 weeks later...

1: "Why is this shirt on jacket layer, undershirt layer, underpants layer, shirt layer and pants layer? And when I wear this garment that is named shirt, it is just a strip of fabric over my hips?? It is a shirt! " "Why does the straps go zigzag up over my shoulders? Instead of straight, as they should?"

2: RL partner, inworld friends. He was not so well versed in SL, but he got me started and the basics. I don't think he understood the plethora of layers either. Then came blogs. I think I was a very early reader of FabFree.

2: That SL is more than sex.

Edited by Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.