When You Were... A Newb Challenge

Tara Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ask me my top 3.png

Share your experiences from when your avatar was just learning how to walk, run, and fly! Let others know the things that stumped you and what underrated aspect you want the world to see!

To participate in the challenge, download the blank template and fill it out using Photoshop, or any imaging and graphic design software. You can also use pixlr.com for free without installing any software. Or, you can just answer in text below! 

If you decide to do this challenge and post it on any social networks, don’t forget to use the hashtag #SLNewbChallenge. You can also add your images to the Second Life Challenge Flickr Group.

Thank you for participating in the challenges! Stay safe, stay home, stay virtual!

• Like 7

Back in 2006, I didn't have the best graphics card and didn't know what the hardware requirements were so even looking around was limited. I knew, from an article in a newspaper insert, that one could go to classes, shop, and buy land but I had no idea how to go about finding anything. I spent about 30 minutes looking for a place that provided classes on more than just moving, walking, and flying, but wasn't sure what I was looking for...a list posted somewhere?...a building with a sign?...I spent about 30 minutes standing around in a plaza with others before becoming frustrated and logging off. 

Finding the hardware requirements and upgrading. Being willing to spend real money to find out what was available. The first thing I did was rent land. After that, when I found out that I could create a prim and build stuff, I was hooked.

That SL is NOT A GAME! A game has a goal and scores...SL does not have a specific objective to 'win'. It can be a dangerous place because there are real people behind the avatars, some are not nice, just like in real life. Also, it isn't so much what they don't know about, it's that they don't bother learning. 

• Like 1

i: Many things. There probably still are features that I still don't fully grasp, but I quickly made friends with helpful and patient people that helped me out immensely. Whilst I didn't do much building per se, I hung out a lot on my friends' sky platforms to watch them build, and try things out on my own in a corner.

ii: Helpful people and my own stubbornness. The learning curve can be pretty steep in the beginning, being patient and methodical certainly makes the ride smoother.

iii: Resource management. Creators who employ 1024 x 1024 textures for a single button on a pair of trousers ought to be keelhauled. 

• Like 1

1 how to get into this game finding things on here that interested  me what I did was i searched roleplay and found avilion and used that as my link to get into this and then when I  needed money for a staff or something I learned about the jobs on here and learned to have fun working all sorts of jobs on here.

2 lots of people from various sims and groups teaching me about all the different stuff i could do on here

3 avilion and the jobs on here and some of the educational stuff I was disabled on ssi when I was working for latex I thought surely if I could spend 40 hours a week working for a quarter an hour surely there must be something I could do doesn't sound like a lot of money but it was more then you would have made playing wow being entertained on here a little bit kept me out a trouble a little more when I was between boyfriends helped me learn skills so  I could have a happier life like I have now.

• Like 1

1. How to use the Alt key to pan the camera around to see my face. I thought going into edit appearance mode was the only way to see the front of my avatar.

2. Having patience in climbing the learning curve on the ins and outs of SL. Mastering the basics doesn't happen in one day. Breaking things down into baby steps make it seem less overwhelming. 

3. SL is a lot more than playing Barbie dress-up.

• Like 1

1. How to buy SL land. I kept flying around and clicking in vain on land in the mountains, as you would in The Sims Online, and I could never seem to take ownership. Finally, I realized I had to turn on the map and look for what was then called "First Land".

2. A friend from TSO who took me step-by-step through how to rez and shape a prim.

3. The Mainland. Low cost. Often more prims in a group rentals. The group land bonus. Contiguous!

!. The biggest hurdle for me was understanding norms for behavior in SL. My first account was abandoned because I didn't understand and "got off on the wrong foot." I started this one four months after I started the first one.

2. My mentor. Once I explored SL a little, I knew that I wanted to be a stripper because it was so far from anything I had experienced, or would ever experience, IRL, and I was very curious about the experience. The club at which I got hired had a formal mentoring/training program. My mentor went shopping with me and helped me select a skin,  a shape, etc., to make a nice avatar. It was much simpler in 2007.

3. This is the hard one. I have very rewarding relationships in SL. I love tweaking my avatar and her outfits (I have over 500 outfits). I love tweaking my house, the grounds, and the outbuildings to make them better. I guess that, if I must choose, I wish more people knew how rewarding inter-avatar relationships can be.

1. Was there something that took awhile to understand ?

lol , just about everything as I couldn't even get the hang of walking forward, backwards, walking up or down stairs , I to date still would bump into walls on occasion ,lol

2. What was the most helpful in getting started ?

I actually had help as my spouse at the time friends helped assist me , so that helped a great deal especially nowadays when people look at newb as if they was a plague when they ask a simple question that them they selves knew nothing about when they started themselves but deem themselves superior as they are no longer newb stage which is pathetically wrong to look down on those who was once "YOU" !

3. What part of SL do you wish people knew more about ? 

The beautiful sims out there that get unseen as so many creators put so much work into building and landscaping in hopes that people would visit and yet get no visitors, so the sim shuts down , I myself need to start back exploring as I see such breathtaking sims and it's so obvious the creator put a lot of work into it , just sad people over look such beauty, as most never go past the club scene for example and miss out ! People need to try something new even if it means doing one thing new as a challenge , perhaps once a week or once a month as who knows it may become habit and they may find something they never knew was even out there !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1243 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.