Maturity settings M rated parcel,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I ve been reading the Maturity land ratings and as I understood the following.
we have a land (region) setup with M rating and on this Parcel we have a couple of subparcels devided. Now I understand the following:

- on the main parcel, no Adult acts or adult furniture is allowed. People can be naked (for example nude beach) but no explicit body parts should be shown.

- on the subparcels, people in their home can have Adult furniture. They can check / uncheck the Land option "Avatars can see and chat with avatars on this parcel". Unchecking this means that adults acts will not be visible for other people on the land

My questions are:

1. Although people could set the Land option accordingly, the might or might not set it (although I put it in the rules). That brings in the possibility that people on the land see adult actions going on in the "private" parcels. Would I as a landowner be responsible / should all adult furniture be removed from the (subdivided) parcels?

I really don't want to set the whole region to Adult as that is really not the purpose of the land.

Thanks!!

37 minutes ago, GreenGrass33 said:

I really don't want to set the whole region to Adult as that is really not the purpose of the land.

you don't need adult rating for people doing their daily things ... including ehm that ...every parcel has seperate privacy settings.
Disable visibility is most important to prevent seeing activities from other parcels.
Next to that security orbs, group limitations and, at many adult furniture, limiting use to group/owner..
should be enough :) 

Public adult activities however are reportable.. the ones doing it .. not the landlord, with putting that as rules you did your job.
But of course.. if people on your parcels break those rules you should act on them... you didn't make that rule for looking funny in the covenant.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

a private dwelling is generally understood to be a parcel that is not promoted as a public place nor is there any reasonable expectation when viewed that it is a public place. The absence of banlines, a security orb, or unrestricted visibility, in themselves, does not mean that a private dwelling is a public place

Moderate for a private dwelling is generally understood to mean get-a-room in the RL meaning of the phrase. Basically with a private dwelling, mount sexy time  furniture inside a room or other enclosed space

Edited by Mollymews
tpeo
  • Like 1

thanks for your swift replies! I am quit a long time on SL, but I find this subject difficult.

I think it would be best to set the parcels to invisible and not let the people on it decide, right? It takes away the flexibility but its safer, as people will forget, or dont want to set that setting.

One more question: if I set it to invisible and we all can assume its private then; can I as a landlord rezz adult furniture in the private parcels (set to group access if possible)? Or do I leave that to the people on the parcel meaning its their responsibility? 

42 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

that's not allowed?

On moderate land, adult content/services can't be promoted. There's a difference between saying people will do what they want behind closed doors and renting them somewhere explicitly for that purpose. Adding in the furniture does move it in that direction, as it's more like adult clubs that offer private rooms for hire.

Now, it could be it'd be deemed acceptable if it was never promoted. That'd have to go to a Linden for a final answer. But that creates a really weird situation. The unrented houses couldn't have the furniture, because that's publicly accessible. The information about the rentals couldn't contain information about the furniture, because it can't be promoted in any way. Which means...

"So, just one question about my rental... why did a sex bed appear there overnight?"

"We cannot speak of it."

"..."

"People can be naked (for example nude beach) but no explicit body parts should be shown." - It is no erect body parts that can be shown with a mature rating on a naturist beach, the boys don't have to "ken doll" themselves.

If landowners were responsible and it was enforced, just about every private rental company would go out of business. If the person puts their orgy bed out right next to the public area but on their rental, you would probably want to have some sort of provision in the rules to have them move it somewhere more discreet, or design the parcels so that won't happen. You might want to put in the rules that when using sexy furniture outside they use the privacy setting, but I wouldn't worry about needing to enforce it rigorously, if they are on their private parcel and aren't advertising it as sex club then they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Edited by Aethelwine

On 5/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, GreenGrass33 said:

One more question: if I set it to invisible and we all can assume its private then; can I as a landlord rezz adult furniture in the private parcels (set to group access if possible)? Or do I leave that to the people on the parcel meaning its their responsibility? 

if we are renting M rated parcels as private dwellings then it depends on the furniture and the context of the setting

like a bed in a bedroom. A chaise in a sitting room. A chair in a kitchen. An ordinary object which serves an ordinary primary function within the setting. Contextually a bed, a chaise, a chair, is what a reasonable person would expect to see in each setting. That we might also, as non-primary secondary function, be able to have sex in a bed, or on a kitchen table even, doesn't in itself negate the reasonable expectation of the ordinary primary function of the object

where objects move into A-rated is when their primary function is sex or other Linden-defined adult activity.  A sybian, a bondage horse, etc. That these objects might have a non-primary secondary function in the eyes/minds of the owner superseding its primary function , it is not reasonable to expect that an observer would see that non-primary secondary function as the primary function of such an object

so renting out a furnished property on M rated land as a private dwelling usually passes muster when the furnishings are consistent with a reasonable expectation of the view

Too much quibbling and speculation here.

The Maturity setting is a REGION level setting.  You cannot set individual parcels within a region to a different Maturity setting.

Adult activities may not take place in a G region, so no further discussion required in this case.  Adult activities may take place anywhere in an A region, so again, no further discussion needed.

In Moderate regions, Adult activities are permitted, but "in private".  Just what "in private" means has been the subject of much discussion.  Since LL gave us the ability to set a privacy option on parcels (making avatars on that parcel invisible to those outside it), the general consensus has been that this option ought to be enabled when performing adult activities.  The question of the presence of "adult" furniture has never been addressed by LL, but in my own view, it's perfectly permissible.  Simply the sight of an "adult" bed...or even an unoccupied bondage cross...does not, IMO, constitute "Adult" content.

To the OP:  I suggest giving your tenants the ability to set or un-set the privacy feature of their parcel.  Problem solved.

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The question of the presence of "adult" furniture has never been addressed by LL, but in my own view, it's perfectly permissible.

This actually was addressed in one of the Linden Home threads.  You are allowed to have the furniture anywhere you want, inside or out, because furniture in and of itself is not "adult activity".  No adult pictures outside the home though.

The questionable part of outside adult furniture revolves around using it outdoors - more about 'Is the parcel privacy setting enough to constitute behind closed doors' since people could still accidentally walk onto the property?  I don't think LL ever directly addressed that one and opinions varied greatly on it. 

• Thanks 1

thanks for all the answers. It seems that there is some confusion after all and I was not the only one who find it difficult to understand.

What I now did:

- I set all subdivided parcels to private (visibility) , removing the option to change it. Its sad but safe.

- re write the rules of the sim so its clear they rezz on their own responsibility and only inside the house:

- removed any adult furniture out of the houses, spent another fortune to replace with PG:

I think its really strict, but also I think I did all what is possible to live by the lindens policy. Would be great if the Lindens took this chapter (adult furniture and usage on a M rated land and parcel) in the FAQ's.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.