Advanced lighting help!?!

ITookBothPills

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All! I'm new to Second Life and have the free Mesh Project classic body and a Catwa head. I turned on the advanced lighting model for the first time today, and it looks like someone dumped black paint on her. Is there anyway to fix this? She looked amazing before I adjusted my settings and I've already spent a lot of cash on clothes, head ect. Thanks in advance peeps!!

First of all, what you've spent makes no difference. Do not use that as some kind of argument to get people asses in gear, it will not work.

Second, check your windlight settings, make sure you have hardware skinning on too. If nothing works, stay in high settings.

Yikes!! Super friendly community you have here! The only problem I have is the body, which you can read above that I obtained for free. However, after 2 weeks worth of tweaking, looking for clothes that fit, and yes, spending real cash, I would be bummed to have to start over again. Honestly though, since no one even openly chats in this game, and you're obviously so welcoming, I can think of better ways I could have spent my $40.

Edited by ITookBothPills
  • Like 3

A total investment of $ 40 and a whole of 2 weeks - cute! 😆

If you only want to whine and badmouth everything... well, why should anyone care for you?

If you seriously request help, then provide something useful for the helpers... your settings, your computer specs, a screenshot at the very least showing your problem. 

But your choice, really.

• Like 1

As you can see in my original post I was asking a very simple question! I was just wondering if anyone knew why the advanced lighting model caused black streaks on my avatars body. Is it really such an abnormal problem? Sorry I don't allow people like Fritgern to bully me online. All I was trying to state is that I've already made an investment and don't want to start from scratch. Is that really so difficult to understand? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi there, Pills

Try this.  Right click yourself and go into Edit Shape.  You don't have to edit anything.
On the Appearance window that opens, hit the back arrow to close out of edit mode.

c8bc68d0109020267ad4889e4bc1359d.png

That should fix your stripe issues.

This is a known bug and is being worked on but it is easy enough to deal with for the time being.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ITookBothPills said:

Hi All! I'm new to Second Life and have the free Mesh Project classic body and a Catwa head. I turned on the advanced lighting model for the first time today, and it looks like someone dumped black paint on her. Is there anyway to fix this? She looked amazing before I adjusted my settings and I've already spent a lot of cash on clothes, head ect. Thanks in advance peeps!!

Without a pic... hard to know for sure.  It may be you just need adjust your material settings on your body and head HUDs, turn them off or adjust.  Also .... Catwa has a very busy help group.  There are a lot of specific help and fashion groups in SL that are very active.  A ton of in world help is available, if one pays attention. Search for: Catwa Head Friends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ITookBothPills said:

I'm new to Second Life and have the free Mesh Project classic body and a Catwa head. I turned on the advanced lighting model for the first time today, and it looks like someone dumped black paint on her.

Catwa CSR here :)

'Black paint' when Advanced Lighting is enabled sounds like you've been playing around with the HUDs and have enabled the Environment/Materials options, especially if - when you stand near a light source such as a lamp - that 'black paint' effect looks shiny and metallic.

I'm not logged in right now, so I can't check where to find the fix for your body, but click around in the Legacy Edit HUD and try to look for any option that you can disable with the following words on it:

• Environment
  • Gloss
  • Shine
  • Materials
  • Specular

It could be called any of those.

If your Catwa head is also showing the same effect, please add your Master HUD v4.5 and go into the tab at the bottom (Skins/Ears). Under the middle 'Materials' section, click the pink 'X' in the middle to remove any specular that you might have applied. Then, go into the 2nd tab from the top (Alpha/Lashes/Tint/Neck Size) and - under the Materials section (to the right of the large shaded tinting box) - click the pink 'X' under the tall pink Glossiness slider. Screenshots below, to guide you:

remove_shine_comp.jpg.e64870f6f995aea6cce8c110fc8cfa2a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ITookBothPills said:

Yikes!! Super friendly community you have here! The only problem I have is the body, which you can read above that I obtained for free. However, after 2 weeks worth of tweaking, looking for clothes that fit, and yes, spending real cash, I would be bummed to have to start over again. Honestly though, since no one even openly chats in this game, and you're obviously so welcoming, I can think of better ways I could have spent my $40.

😅 Sensitive. You got someone in a grumpy mood. Deal with it. It makes you look rather silly to paint the whole community with the same brush and certainly won't win you any mercy. This can be a REALLY tough crowd. Plus, SL has its share of jerks.

Plus, your type of question is best asked in the Answers section of the forum. You aren't in the wrong place, there is just a better place.

Pictures of the problem really help. Skell is making a best guess and is certainly the most knowledgeable here on Catwa. But, he can't be certain unless you define the problem well and a picture does that. On Windows you can use the Snipping Tool and copy-paste from your screen to the forum. People also use Gyazo to post links to pictures.

14 hours ago, ITookBothPills said:

As you can see in my original post I was asking a very simple question! I was just wondering if anyone knew why the advanced lighting model caused black streaks on my avatars body. Is it really such an abnormal problem? Sorry I don't allow people like Fritgern to bully me online. All I was trying to state is that I've already made an investment and don't want to start from scratch. Is that really so difficult to understand? 

Yeah, I'd say you got some pretty rude replies. :(

Also, $40 RL monies is not nothing. Not much either, but something. I remember my own early foray into in SL. I bought a tiny home, worth only like $LL 2,000 or so (less than $10 bucks in RL). And it wasn't mod, as advertised. I was very bummed out. So much so even, that I even bothered marketplace support, and asked for a refund. Nowadays I spend over $100 RL money on SL, per months, on rent alone. The point of the story being: in the beginning, even relative small purchases can really put a dent in your SL experience when you are disappointed with the result, as you fear future investments might be a waste of money too. No need to judge you for that.

As for your actual issue, I doubt it's got anything to do with a mis-purchase. Advanced Lighting simply (and obviously) makes everything more sensitive to light sources. That's the whole point. :) Suddenly almost totally dark avis is usually simply the result of an unfavorable windlight setting. You could do the obvious, and change windlights (under Enviroment Settings), or try and compensate for the darkness with the creation of several light-objects near your avi (inside your home, for instance), or do the old thing: wear an actual face-light.

As a final solution you can try when colors are getting too weird: avoid taking the Blue and Red pill together, next time. 🤣

But seriously, welcome to SL!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.