linux

mariadesign

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Typically in Linux there is an install.sh shell script in the top level download folder that will, when run with root privs, install to somewhere like /opt or /usr.

open a terminal, navigate to the folder where you downloaded the viewer, check that install.sh has execute privs, then "sudo ./install.sh"

Once done, sometimes the SecondLife entry appears at once in the  internet panel on the menus, but other times you might have to run it once.  I advise doing this anyway in a terminal because if there are missing library links you will only see them in the terminal output, when run from a menu entry they just don't appear and you are left with the "what happened?" feeling.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

i am now install gimp on terminal i say sudo apt install gimp and installed all ok now i say  sudo apt install Second_Life_5_0_9_329906_i686 reading package list done ,building dependency tree , reading state information done , E: unable to locate package Second_Life_5_0_9_329906_i686 

Yes, it's not in the standard repositories, you have to download the tarball from Linden Lab and unpack it, then follow my earlier instructions.

Start Here Linux Download link

Then use archiver to unpack the gziped tarball into somewhere in your downloads folder. (Depending on your setup you might need to unzip the tar file first and then extract the tar file to a folder, I found Archiver created the folder in one go)

The resulting folder is where you go to then run the install shell script.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

1. LL's "official" client for Second Life on Linux is woefully out of date at this point - use a TPV.
  2. You're not likely to find any client/viewer i the 'normal' repos for any given distribution - I have to use the AUR on Manjaro!
  3. Many components will require 32 bit libraries, so best hope your chosen flavor of Linux still has such libraries and that they're up to date.

Firestorm works quite well on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. You don't even have to really "install" it, just download and unpack it into some directory (I use ~/local/Firestorm). To run it, you can cd to the directory that has a file called "firestorm" (a shell script) and then run that from a terminal. Once that works, make an icon to launch it.

A Firestorm repository for Ubuntu would be convenient for those who don't want to go through all this. .

The CoolVLViewer install on Linux makes some of the assorted Windows installers look pretty sluggish. The only thing that might catch somebody out is that you have to make the file executable. It's a good, up to date, piece of software, but far enough from the current UI to be awkward. I am not sure if it's even worth trying the SL viewer for Linux. it's such an ancient piece of software, so many things just aren't there. With EEP out there, the only choice for that would be the Windows viewer running under Wine, but good luck finding up-to-date info for setting that up.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone really wanted something as close as possible to Linden Labs viewer there's a flatpak repository at:

https://flatpak.firestormviewer.org/viewer.flatpakrepo

It is currently at 6.4.1 (Which is 6.4.0 EEP). Of course it is all unsupported and not official from LL

I try to keep this as close in sync with LLs releases a possible. It lacks:

-  KDU (do not have the LL sources for this and do not want to use the Firestorm version I officially got).

- FMODEX, I am going to include FMODSTUDIO when LL switches to it.

- Havok, again no access to the LL version, but one can still dream.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.