Abandoned old acct - Best Mesh bodies and heads?

Anuqe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I abandoned my SL account before mesh was a thing that was in full swing, I came back due to an RL friend wanting someone to run her group and boredom.

What are the reccomended bodies and heads that are on the market today?

I've got a decent line of reccs on hair and skin, I'm learning about BoM now as it seems to be more of what I'm use to in a way, back when early mesh clothing and hair clipped through your avatar and required full use of alphas.

I'm a girl, btw.  Forgot to mention that.  I plan to dive back into the adult communities I was apart of and I know a lot of people are really shallow on looks, so I want to try looking my best

Edited by Anuqe
extra info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Anuqe said:

What are the reccomended bodies and heads that are on the market today?

I would say demo, demo and demo.

I have several mesh bodies and it all comes down to personal taste. I will tell you that Maitreya so far has the most clothes being made for that body and the cute dollarbies and whatever usually Maitreya size too. The body is BoM ready. Other examples of bodies are Belleza and Slink.

As far as heads, Catwa probably market leader, but Genus and Lelutka follow close. I can only speak about Catwa and Genus about being BoM ready, I don't wear other heads. An other example of head is LAQ.

Best advice though stays to demo.

Good luck.

PS I picked up a free Genus Project head last week. Some special offer because of Corona.

PS again, Oh I just read the DMCA claim topic...Blah.

Edited by iBrat

Best is very subjective, but here are the ones I would consider buying:

For bodies:

• Maitreya Lara - most widely used body with the most content created for it, hands down.
  • Belleza Freya - most curvy (not that you can't get very voluptuous looks from others but Freya kicks it up a notch.
  • Slink Hourglass - most realistic but getting on in age and getting harder to find clothes for it.  Still a solid choice though.
  • Legacy - newest of the bodies and twice the price of the others.  Think Stiletto Moody of the bodies.  Being new you will be limited to new release content from clothes makers but it is gaining support.

For heads, each of these designers put out many nice versions so I will not be giving any specific one: 

• Catwa - most widely used and supported
  • LeLutka - for BOM, pick from the Evolution line. 
  • LAQ - the heads and controls are sold separately.  All you need is one HUD for as many heads as you care to buy.  You can also use the head without the HUD if you need to stagger the purchases.
  • Akaruki - (if I spelled that right I'll be suprised) lesser known and supported but still great heads
  • LOGO - it has been a while since I used LOGO but they always had the easiest controls
  • Genus - You can get a free head for the next week or so from their group notices.  GenusProject is still free to join as well.  There is currently some drama going on and the store is closed until that is resolved but that not take too long.  Genus is well supported by skin and makeup creators as well.

Since you will be using BOM, finding makeup, freckles and other markings for specific heads is not going to be a challenge.  Most will just use system tattoo layers.  Some of the heads will need specific skins to fit their eyes, lips and nose correctly even with BOM.  I alwasy say to find a skin you like first and see which heads they support.

Personally I use Amara Beauty skin on Maitreya Lara body with LeLutka Nova head.  Like most skins, cleavage shading is separate so can be worn with or without.

20200412_004.thumb.jpg.f1706f319a06262da850ef7a85e55bbd.jpg20200410_001.thumb.jpg.8a653154c2f21eae96f7d6cc23412142.jpg

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
Decided to include Genus even with the drama
  • Like 1

Maitreya body, and a LeLutka head.

Maitreya because it's already said it has most of clothes and accessories. I don't think some has mentioned it, but it is actually some who make clothes for Maitreya only. Not for any other bodies.

I have LeLutka on myself, Catwa on an alt, and now I have Genus on the third alt. In my opinion, LeLutka is clearly, totally, absolutely most userfriendly. The HUD is easier to understand, and easier to see. I have an older LeLutka, because I don't like any of the new Evolution heads. When LeLutka makes a new head I like , I am going to switch to that.

Catwa has one advantage over LeLutka, that brand has many more different heads. But in my opinion, many of the heads look very much the same though...

The best is to pick up a demo of all the heads and bodies you find pretty, and try them with demo skins.

For bodies, check out and try demos for: Maitreya Lara, Belleza Freya, Slink HG and Legacy.

For heads, test out: Catwa, LeLutka, LAQ, Logo and Genus. 

I mainly use Maitreya body and Catwa head, but also Slink HG for curvier looks and LAQ head.

Going BoM right from the start is definitely a wise decision; you'll be able to use system layer skins, tattoos and system clothing just as you did before and you will never have to worry about the nightmare that was appliers. (Except for nail polish - those are still applier-based but in comparison with trying to sort out face makeup they are a piece of cake).

Most of the big name bodies and heads are either already fully BoM-only, or else they are easy to switch using a button on the HUD. Only Belleza is slow on the uptake, for that you'll have to pick up a BoM installer, this is free in the main store. Wear the body (without the full body alpha), wear the installer, click the installer, and you're done.

@Rhonda Huntress spelled "Akeruka" wrong. 😉

If you're on a budget there are a few lesser-known bodies and heads that are worth looking at. Lucybody is one; their main body (Atena) is currently on offer as a free gift in the mainstore on the Midnight Mania. If you've not seen a Midnight Mania before, you click the MM board and if it gets enough clicks by midnight, everyone gets the prize. The catch with this one is the BOM installer costs an extra L$197. Lucybody has a big advantage over other cheap bodies though; it fits Maitreya clothes and Slink shoes, so you'll not be stuck for something to wear. With other less popular bodies like e-body, Ocacin and Altamura, you will struggle to find anything that fits. Beware the free bodies from Altamura; with very few exceptions they are not modifiable in any way and you cannot make them BoM; you're stuck with only the one pre-installed skin.

Heads are less limited; as long as it's BoM, or capable of being made BoM (you can do that with anything that is Omega-compatible), you could use pretty much any head, as long as you like the shape of it. Lightstar is worth checking out; their heads are all BOM-ready now and are just L$1000 compared to around L$5000 for the major brands.  I even had some success with a head that cost just L$30, though the shape of it wasn't for me, and I had to pick up a (free) neck fix to repair a gap between head and body.

Two other bodies to avoid are Kemono and Regalia; these two do not use the standard SL template for skins so normal system skins will not work on them. You can make them BOM but you still need skins made specifically for those bodies and as they are primarily aimed at anime and furry avatars, you'll not find many (if any at all) "normal" human skins for them.

Edited by Matty Luminos

12 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

If you're on a budget there are a few lesser-known bodies and heads that are worth looking at. Lucybody is one; their main body (Atena) is currently on offer as a free gift in the mainstore on the Midnight Mania. If you've not seen a Midnight Mania before, you click the MM board and if it gets enough clicks by midnight, everyone gets the prize. The catch with this one is the BOM installer costs an extra L$197. Lucybody has a big advantage over other cheap bodies though; it fits Maitreya clothes and Slink shoes

Awesome!  The MM goes up to 350 people,  I just joined it and a few MM groups to hopefully attract people to it.   and I know what MMs are, but that's a wonderful explanation for any newbies who are reading this thread.  the fact that it fits mait. clothes and slink shoes makes me happy.  means my WL in the market place won't be wasted.

I hope Genus recovers and comes back, I was able to grab their GG when before this all started.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anuqe said:

Awesome!  The MM goes up to 350 people,  I just joined it and a few MM groups to hopefully attract people to it.   and I know what MMs are, but that's a wonderful explanation for any newbies who are reading this thread.  the fact that it fits mait. clothes and slink shoes makes me happy.  means my WL in the market place won't be wasted.

I hope Genus recovers and comes back, I was able to grab their GG when before this all started.

For the next couple of days you can still get the free Genus head from their group notices (group is free to join) - look for the notice starting with the words "Support from..."

Emma :) 

On 4/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, Emma Krokus said:

For the next couple of days you can still get the free Genus head from their group notices (group is free to join) - look for the notice starting with the words "Support from..."

Emma :) 

Beat ya to it! Lol.  One question on the body though, i keep seeing a gap between the maitreya clothing and it, is that normal on all mesh bodies?

• Haha 1

are you referring to a gap between the head and the body...?

yes i believe that can happen from what i have read on the forum -

getting the head neck size to match the body is important...

some wear collar / choker type necklaces to hide it

some bodies have neck pieces can be tinted to hide the join better

setting windlight to CalWL can help - other windlights may show the seam more clearly

hope this helps!

17 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

are you referring to a gap between the head and the body...?

yes i believe that can happen from what i have read on the forum -

getting the head neck size to match the body is important...

some wear collar / choker type necklaces to hide it

some bodies have neck pieces can be tinted to hide the join better

setting windlight to CalWL can help - other windlights may show the seam more clearly

hope this helps!

More the gap between clothing and the body, I noticed it with a maxi skirt from JellyRoll that I love,  no issues with a gap between the head and body.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.