disappearing linden?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember few years ago people allegedly would stretch tip jars make them invisible and attach them to thier avatars, then take liesurely strolls through shopping places full of other players.  Most of the times people wouldnt realize they were paying someone other than the vendor. Not paying attention to that little blue pop up telling them who they paid. I am curious as to what  and how your lindens went to your friend tho.

DrakyDarkstar wrote:

not sure anymore, anyway ill ask him before anything else

Not sure?  You don't know if this person has used your account?  You don't know if you told them your password?

This would be why your money is missing.... :matte-motes-agape:

ETA:  I just hope you don't have your mommy or daddy's credit card hooked up to your account.

Years ago, when I moved to a new plot, I made a party to friends. Bought some poles, hired a DJ. Give a freebie tip jar to the girls that wanted to use the poles. The party was a success, more than 20 people in, people having fun.

Than I saw a girl near the poles that was unknown to me. Setting to see alfa (ctrl+alt+T), I saw an invisible object over each tip jar. Inspecting it, the objects belong to this girl, and had some script in it. I realized that they were invisible tip jars, trying to collect the girls’ tips.

I don’t know if wearing something could have the same effect.

the pay option is not available on items set with transparency, to prevent exactly this sort of theft.

if you have ever accepted an item from this friend, and granted it debit permissions, this is one way in which money can be taken from your account... and a reason that message comes up as different color to warn you of the danger. NEVER grant debit permissions to an item unless you are sure you know what you are doing (and if you can't read and understand the script that is requesting those permissions, you aren't sure), otherwise you are putting the full trust of your wallet in someone elses hands.

likewise with your account password, you are handing someone access not only to the money on your account, but also to any linked credit cards or other funding sources. Never do this... period. in fact it is a violation of ToS.

for people that do show a 0 or negative balance inworld, but no transaction on the account page, in V2 you can click on your L$ balance displayed at the top, and it will request a refresh... it may take a few moments, but will usually fix itself... if not a relog to a less busy region almost always fixes it. if that fails then you should file a ticket, and list the steps (in order) that you have already taken.

Vania Chaplin wrote:

Years ago, when I moved to a new plot, I made a party to friends. Bought some poles, hired a DJ. Give a freebie tip jar to the girls that wanted to use the poles. The party was a success, more than 20 people in, people having fun.

Than I saw a girl near the poles that was unknown to me. Setting to see alfa (ctrl+alt+T), I saw an invisible object over each tip jar. Inspecting it, the objects belong to this girl, and had some script in it. I realized that they were invisible tip jars,
trying to collect the girls’ tips.

I don’t know if wearing something could have the same effect.

But ultimately unsuccessful.  That the party was a success indicated that the dancers got their tips and all went well.  Kudos on a successful party.

DrakyDarkstar wrote:

well we checked, my friend didnt get anything, so i guess theres somekind of error there, ill wait a while longer to see if the money comes back or whatever, i did change password anyway.

If your transaction show that you gave the money to your friend, he is the one with your money ask him to return it.

There is another way that doesn't require a compromised account folks.  Giving the permission to a scripted object to withdraw L$ from your account.  Once given, all that has to be done is have the object stay rezzed in world and you're now an L$ ATM for the less scrupulous.

"the pay option is not available on items set with transparency, to prevent exactly this sort of theft.".

I don't think this is true, but others should check it.  I made a donation box for money to go to Donation Linden for the Japanese disaster. I used a partially transparent texture on one side in order to layer textures & give a double exposure effect. My donation box still worked fine.  If a partial transparency would work on a donation box, then wouldn't a full transparency also work on any other Pay object?

My box was flat with the semi-transparent side on the front. The interior surface, sides & back were regular textures, but the front-facing surface was 50% transparent. I clicked on this surface to test it. Others also donated money through the box, & I'm pretty sure they also clicked on the 50% transparent surface. When I was trying to figure out how to make a donation box, someone also suggested puting an invisible box around the Linden Relief bear. If a 50% invisible surface would work on a Pay object, I think a fully invisible one would too.

- But why argue the point?  I'm sending you an 80% invisible Easter egg with a donation script in it, set to pay to me.  Drop a linden in it to see if it works. I'll send you back the money if it does. IM me to let me know what happens.

Now I think about it I picked up a basketball game off the market, it was either cheap or free I forget. But when rezzed to be set up it asked about permissions to take money, which of course I said no. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.