ALT Selling on the Marketplace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering could I use my alt to sell a duplicate item on the marketplace if I change the permissions for my alts products ?  . My real account sells only no copy/ transfer items. I'd like my alt to sell the same item with copy/trans permissions. Is this legal ? I'm trying to ascertain whether customers prefer a cheaper no copy version or more expensive copy/trans permissions. Thanks in advance for any help :)

1 minute ago, Jada Tammas said:

I was wondering could I use my alt to sell a duplicate item on the marketplace if I change the permissions for my alts products ?  . My real account sells only no copy/ transfer items. I'd like my alt to sell the same item with copy/trans permissions. Is this legal ? I'm trying to ascertain whether customers prefer a cheaper no copy version or more expensive copy/trans permissions. Thanks in advance for any help :)

why not put it on your own name? There are many creators/sellers that offer different permission objects in one store.
But if you want, you can make multiple stores when using alts, nothing is against it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jada Tammas said:

You can do this on your main account if you like. It would probably be better to do so, as it will be easier for customers to find a product with alternative permissions in the same store, and you can still collect your statistics.

But there is no reason stopping you from opening another store with an alt. Some people do this when they sell things that are very different from each other. e.g. clothes on one account and home furnishings on another.

• Like 3

If you are using full perm mesh components, it would probably be wise to look at the sales license for them.

Some include lines like this "One item can only be licensed to one avatar. Buying one item and transferring it to your alt avatars or colleagues is not allowed." In which case you would need to rebuy the component for the Alt reseller to sell it on with your own textures.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

If you are using full perm mesh components, it would probably be wise to look at the sales license for them.

That's an important point. You don't re-sell full perm anything you haven't made yourself or have had custom made for you of course, not even if the creator forgot to specify it in their EULA. But the OP is clearly a seasoned SL'er, not a noob, so she knows that already. It's still a good reminder to many others who may read this thread though.

1 hour ago, Jada Tammas said:

I'm trying to ascertain whether customers prefer a cheaper no copy version or more expensive copy/trans permissions.

It would be really interesting to learn the answer to that. I used to list items with and without transfer permissions side by side in my Builders' Supplies stores and what I found out was that people pay the extra L$ for full perm whether they actually need it or not. But that's all building elements for creators. It may be different with the kind of "modern" full perm items buyers can just resell right away, pretending they made them themselves.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jada Tammas said:

The question is really can I sell the same item with different permissions i:e copy?trans on my alt account? It would make things more manageable for me.

I see no reason why not, but I am not seeing why it would be an advantage to you. I can only see the downside in that you may get people reporting the alt to you as someone that has stolen your items. But so long as you have taken that into account and still have good reasons for selling the same items with different perms through an ALT, then go for it.

You can sell you own items however best suits you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jada Tammas said:

The question is really can I sell the same item with different permissions i:e copy?trans on my alt account? It would make things more manageable for me.

Yes but copy/trans is not full perm.  Full perm is copy/modify/transfer.

Since you state you sell no copy/transfer items, you might want to change the other object into copy/no transfer especially if it is not your own creation.  If it's from a full perm kit, the answer is no...you cannot sell full perm items someone else has made as copy/transfer as a general rule.

And, if this is a script, if you are going to sell it as no modify...it's real worth is about free, imo, because that is not full perm.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.