Fluids

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All prims in SL are solid, different shapes but solids, There is no way to make a fluid? No, I'm not talking about a glass filled with water, but about a fluid substance, changing the form. I'm almost sure there is no this possibility, but anyway it's better to ask to others...

P.S.: Sorry for my english, I'm not english mothertongue

You could swap the maps in a sculpt under script control to get a changing volume, but since there are both texture-loading and update issues it is a good idea to have a small nearby sculpt-previewer showing all the sculpt maps and their surface textures in very small form so that they will have been preloaded by the time any transform takes place.

• Like 1

The other standard way to create fluids, of course, is to use particles.  If you walk through regions in Bellisseria, you'll see many examples of fluid behavior in things that the moles have created there, many using particle displays.

Did someone say... fluid?

You can do some tricks with llTargetOmega and llSetTextureAnim, but this only really works for flat horizontal surfaces. First you create your water surface, then you use a script to make it spin with the llTargetOmega function and make the texture spin in the opposite direction with llSetTextureAnim. In the above example, the rotation cancels out completely and the texture stays still. You could also have the speeds slightly different so the texture slowly rotates, depends what you want.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can do some tricks with llTargetOmega and llSetTextureAnim, but this only really works for flat horizontal surfaces.

That's an absolutely brilliant idea! You don't really want to cancel out the texture aniamtion with omega rotation unless the surface is flat anyway so that shouldn't matter.

Here's another brilliant solution btw, sadly not mine:

https://gyazo.com/1152f6fab253ee0ffbc474873cccce42

This is a 16 frame animation with the surface split into multiple squares, each filling up the whole UV map, and some really, good normal and specular maps thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.