How to use the 10% bonus on group land

AdminGirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I'm thinking about going premium to buy this plot/parcel on mainland. It's 1,120 sqm. I read about how a group can get 10% bonus, but how do I actually get it so that I won't pay any tier on that parcel? Do I...
(a) buy it personally and then deed the whole parcel to a group, or
(b) buy it personally and then deed 90% of the parcel, or
(c) buy for group at the point of purchase?

Thanks (I'm a little confused 😶)

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

Hi

I'm thinking about going premium to buy this plot/parcel on mainland. It's 1,120 sqm. I read about how a group can get 10% bonus, but how do I actually get it so that I won't pay any tier on that parcel? Do I...
(a) buy it personally and then deed the whole parcel to a group, or
(b) buy it personally and then deed 90% of the parcel, or
(c) buy for group at the point of purchase?

Thanks (I'm a little confused 😶)

First off, groups require 2 people or they are automatically deleted -- so create an alt and add that person to the group that you create.  If you add someone else to the group, never make them an Owner.

Before buying a piece of land, activate the group tag.  Then in the buy window, you Buy for Group and click the box that says something like 'owner makes contribution'.  That will do a personal tier donation into the group for however much is needed, automatically taking the 10% bonus into account. For that 1120 sqm plot, the system would automatically contribute 1019 of tier for you into the group at the time of the purchase.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

First off, groups require 2 people or they are automatically deleted -- so create an alt and add that person to the group that you create.  If you add someone else to the group, never make them an Owner.

Before buying a piece of land, activate the group tag.  Then in the buy window, you Buy for Group and click the box that says something like 'owner makes contribution'.  That will do a personal tier donation into the group for however much is needed, automatically taking the 10% bonus into account. For that 1120 sqm plot, the system would automatically contribute 1019 of tier for you into the group at the time of the purchase.

Thanks so much! 🙂

10 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I have another scenario. If I wanted to buy a 2048 sqm parcel via a group and I have two premium members in the group without any land ownership, can the group use their tier to cover owning that parcel?

Yep - have both members donate their tier to the group, on the Land/Assets tab of the Group Info window.  Then do the Buy for Group on the applicable land.  With 2048 tier in the Group, you could buy up to 2252 sqm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep - have both members donate their tier to the group, on the Land/Assets tab of the Group Info window.  Then do the Buy for Group on the applicable land.  With 2048 tier in the Group, you could buy up to 2252 sqm.

Ah thanks again!

• Like 1

Hi, @AdminGirl!

LittleMe has given you excellent advice.  I would add that before you actually do this, you read up on all the details.

There are two subjects here:  Creating and managing a group, and buying land for the group.

For the first one, see this link: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/creating-managing-moderating-and-disbanding-groups-r48/  Key points to remember:

• Once you create the group, invite your own alt.  Then log in on the alt's account and join the group.  Groups need at least two members or LL will delete them after 48 hours.
  • Only you and your alt should ever be in the Owner role.  Once you put anyone else in that role, they cannot be removed, or removed from the group, without their consent.  Much Drama has arisen as a result of this.
  • Only the Owner role should have the group ability "share in group liabilities and receive group dividends".  Otherwise, if you sell the land, everyone in the group with this ability gets a share of the proceeds.
  • You can create a "Tenant" group role for your renters, if you plan to rent out your land.  That role should have, as a bare minimum, the ability to rez objects and to Deed objects to group, and to set Home on group land.  You will probably want to give them some other abilities as well.

For Group land,  see this link: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/group-owned-land-r32/  Key points:

• I'm assuming here that you don't currently own any Mainland or a Linden Home.  You CAN, but it will affect how you should deal with things, and your overall tier costs.
  • Yes, if the group has additional members and they are Premium, they can donate tier to the group too.  This will enable the group to own more land.
  • Either donate your tier to the group before buying the land, or use the "owner makes contribution with Deed" check box during the purchase process.
  • Be sure your group is the active group (that group's tag shows above your head) before you purchase the land.
  • Do not right click the ground and choose "Buy This Land".  Instead, right click the ground, choose About Land.  Then use the "Buy for Group" button in the About Land window.

Here is an example.  We assume two residents, both Premium, both group members, neither one currently owns any Mainland, a Linden Home, or has donated any tier to other groups.  We want to know how much land the group can own without incurring a monthly tier fee.  The answer is, (1,024 sq m donated by Avatar A + 1,024 sq m donated by Avatar B) x 1.10 (the 10% group bonus) = 2240 sq m. (This is 2252, but decreased to the nearest multiple of 16.  Because land comes in minimum size 4x4 or 16 sq m. pieces.)

The group may own MORE than this, but one or both members will need to increase their tier donation.  This means that one or both members will pay a monthly tier fee.

What happens if Avatar B gets tired of Avatar A, the land, or SL, withdraws their tier donation, and leaves?  The group will get a warning message that they don't have enough tier donated to pay for their group land.  This won't actually become a problem until the next tier collection date, but it does need to be resolved before then.  Avatar A can either elect to pay a monthly tier of $7.00 (for another 1,024 sq m, see the tier table here: https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php).  Or she can sell or abandon the land, or at least 1120 sq m of it.  Or she can recruit one or more new members willing to donate enough tier to cover the shortfall.  A few groups actively recruit people to get tier donations, and pay those members a weekly or monthly fee in exchange for the tier.  This is known as "renting out" your spare tier.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Hi, @AdminGirl!

LittleMe has given you excellent advice.  I would add that before you actually do this, you read up on all the details.

There are two subjects here:  Creating and managing a group, and buying land for the group.

For the first one, see this link: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/creating-managing-moderating-and-disbanding-groups-r48/  Key points to remember:

• Once you create the group, invite your own alt.  Then log in on the alt's account and join the group.  Groups need at least two members or LL will delete them after 48 hours.
  • Only you and your alt should ever be in the Owner role.  Once you put anyone else in that role, they cannot be removed, or removed from the group, without their consent.  Much Drama has arisen as a result of this.
  • Only the Owner role should have the group ability "share in group liabilities and receive group dividends".  Otherwise, if you sell the land, everyone in the group with this ability gets a share of the proceeds.
  • You can create a "Tenant" group role for your renters, if you plan to rent out your land.  That role should have, as a bare minimum, the ability to rez objects and to Deed objects to group, and to set Home on group land.  You will probably want to give them some other abilities as well.

For Group land,  see this link: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/group-owned-land-r32/  Key points:

• I'm assuming here that you don't currently own any Mainland or a Linden Home.  You CAN, but it will affect how you should deal with things, and your overall tier costs.
  • Yes, if the group has additional members and they are Premium, they can donate tier to the group too.  This will enable the group to own more land.
  • Either donate your tier to the group before buying the land, or use the "owner makes contribution with Deed" check box during the purchase process.
  • Be sure your group is the active group (that group's tag shows above your head) before you purchase the land.
  • Do not right click the ground and choose "Buy This Land".  Instead, right click the ground, choose About Land.  Then use the "Buy for Group" button in the About Land window.

Here is an example.  We assume two residents, both Premium, both group members, neither one currently owns any Mainland, a Linden Home, or has donated any tier to other groups.  We want to know how much land the group can own without incurring a monthly tier fee.  The answer is, (1,024 sq m donated by Avatar A + 1,024 sq m donated by Avatar B) x 1.10 (the 10% group bonus) = 2240 sq m. (This is 2252, but decreased to the nearest multiple of 16.  Because land comes in minimum size 4x4 or 16 sq m. pieces.)

The group may own MORE than this, but one or both members will need to increase their tier donation.  This means that one or both members will pay a monthly tier fee.

What happens if Avatar B gets tired of Avatar A, the land, or SL, withdraws their tier donation, and leaves?  The group will get a warning message that they don't have enough tier donated to pay for their group land.  This won't actually become a problem until the next tier collection date, but it does need to be resolved before then.  Avatar A can either elect to pay a monthly tier of $7.00 (for another 1,024 sq m, see the tier table here: https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php).  Or she can sell or abandon the land, or at least 1120 sq m of it.  Or she can recruit one or more new members willing to donate enough tier to cover the shortfall.  A few groups actively recruit people to get tier donations, and pay those members a weekly or monthly fee in exchange for the tier.  This is known as "renting out" your spare tier.

Thanks so much Lindal, that's so helpful 😃

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.