FS blacking out/ not responding glitch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

has anyone seen this error? this happens in conjunction when the frame rate on a sim drops to like a few frames per sec . CPU usage seems fairly high, GPU usage very low. I am wondering if this might be a FS issue, a Win10 issue or even a hardware issue. Sys specs below. I am including a video so you can visually see what I am seeing. I should add this isn't everywhere in SL but in certain sims this happens. others are fine - even crowded ones 

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (3707.26 MHz)
Memory: 16326 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.592)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.4250
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 442.50

This can happen if

1. Not enough power - for example low battery on a laptop
  2. Bad cable connection to monitor
  3. Dual monitor where one of above problems found

Try and unplug cables, clean connection. Check power.

1 hour ago, Rachel1206 said:

This can happen if

1. Not enough power - for example low battery on a laptop
  2. Bad cable connection to monitor
  3. Dual monitor where one of above problems found

Try and unplug cables, clean connection. Check power.

The video does not show the SL window title bar, its only the inside of the SL window itself so i'd assume only the Viewer rendering is blacking out, which means none of these are the fault. Further information whether this happens to the entire desktop or just the SL window would clear this up however.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 11:54 PM, NiranV Dean said:

The video does not show the SL window title bar, its only the inside of the SL window itself so i'd assume only the Viewer rendering is blacking out, which means none of these are the fault. Further information whether this happens to the entire desktop or just the SL window would clear this up however.

My bad, I did not watch the video, but just used, what we have seen cause such black screen from time to time.

It is a little weird, the GeForce 1080 should be able to handle nearly anything SL can produce.

Edited by Rachel1206

11 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

My bad, I did not watch the video, but just used, what we have seen cause suck black screen from time to time.

It is a little weird, the GeForce 1080 should be able to handle nearly anything SL can produce.

It's not the GPU. The CPU is the bottleneck in SL here. Though i'm surprised that with an Intel Quad Core which even has hyperthreading he's falling so low with his FPS.

Edited by NiranV Dean

Having just looked at the OP's video I note that the whole of the viewer, UI and all blacks out.  This, to me, suggests that the fault is not with the viewer but with the OP's video card or possibly CPU.  The fault is intermittent and total, so I'd suspect either component failure or a wiring issue. Neither GPU nor CPU should be giving any issues if they were fully functional.

Edited by Aishagain

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

Having just looked at the OP's video I note that the whole of the viewer, UI and all blacks out.  This, to me, suggests that the fault is not with the viewer but with the OP's video card or possibly CPU.  The fault is intermittent and total, so I'd suspect either component failure or a wiring issue. Neither GPU nor CPU should be giving any issues if they were fully functional.

Both inworld rendering and the UI are being rendered, depending on which screen buffer might get reallocated or dropped you'll lose not just the world rendering but your entire UI as well. One instance of this happening is when resizing the Viewer window. I'm still waiting whether this is a total desktop blackout or just the SL application.

this is just the blackout within the viewer not the whole desktop. the viewer framer it self is still there and is flashing 'not responding' at the top left corner. Im not maxed out on RAM and cerianly not maxed out on  GPU memory - CPU is at like 50-60% maybe GPU is about 20%

the one thing i didnt test is if BD viewer reacts the sane way,,,,,,

Ah. You are maxed out on GPU memory? This would just make it even more logical that everything is blacking out and explains both your absolute ***** framerate and the freezing, your GPU is shuffling around textures which kills performance, this can cause complete freezes and with textures and rendering not properly keeping up this might happen. Just like with resizing the window or randomly (like i get) when opening a new IM window.

1 hour ago, NiranV Dean said:

Ah. You are maxed out on GPU memory? This would just make it even more logical that everything is blacking out and explains both your absolute ***** framerate and the freezing, your GPU is shuffling around textures which kills performance, this can cause complete freezes and with textures and rendering not properly keeping up this might happen. Just like with resizing the window or randomly (like i get) when opening a new IM window.

no not maxed on GPU Mem this is a GTX 1080 with 8g of memory - when this was going on used about  4- 5 gig of memory

I went to the Casablanca region, went around and found the wedding chapel you have in your video, which is in the neighbor region LaTarazza At TheGrove. The video of the chapel is in region LaTarazza At TheGrove and it looks like you are use remote cam/video recording from  Casablanca  South.

It is amazing beautiful regions, lot of high rezz textures in trees, objects etc, the GPU memory max usage I observed was 3.1 GB with graphics set to ultra and everything maxed out, the CPU around 18%-27%. I had no problems walking around and see things and no problems with the viewer FS, where the FPS at its  lowest was 7.5 and highest 24 FPS depending on surroundings

Do you use like a machina cam - could this be the explanation of the high CPU usage?

FYI my computer: iCore7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB memory, GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB ( game ready drivers version 442.19), Windows 10 64 bit version 10.0.18363

Edited by Rachel1206

29 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

I went to the Casablanca region, went around and found the wedding chapel you have in your video, which is in the neighbor region LaTarazza At TheGrove. The video of the chapel is in region LaTarazza At TheGrove and it looks like you are use remote cam/video recording from  Casablanca  South.

It is an amazing beautiful regions, lot of high rezz textures in trees, objects etc, the GPU memory max usage I observed was 3.1 GB with graphics set to ultra and everything maxed out, the CPU around 18%-27%. I had no problems walking around and see things and no problems with the viewer FS, where the FPS at its  lowest was 7.5 and highest 24 FPS depending on surroundings

Do you use like a machina cam - could this be the explanation of the high CPU usage?

FYI my computer: iCore7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB memory, GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB ( game ready drivers version 442.19), Windows 10 64 bit version 10.0.18363

I use a 3D mouse and OBS for recording however on  this i was just moving the cam with alt+ right click no 3D cam (with FPS that low, it's all herky jerky on a 3D mouse for recording) 
i plan on going back soon see if i experience the same thing. I also just removed the latest Win10 cumulative update for February, sometimes Win10 updates can really f*** some things up

Well, for what it's worth the 442.50 driver is getting heavily slagged off in the NVidia forums for a host of issues, from black screens to Critcal Structure Corruption errors (Windows 10's version of the BSOD).  It might well be that the driver is the source of the OP's performance issue.  I'd be inclined to roll back the driver to at the least 442.19 if not before.

• Like 1

As an update, I went to the same place on the BD viewer and had zero issue there. I know its not apples to apples comparison, but still, makes me wonder if not a FS issue maybe something within Win 10 is doing something to FS. I'm getting about 20-30 (or more) fps with shadows on with the BD viewer 

I would definitely say this is an issue caused by the latest updates from Windows 10.  It is a known problem. You can either bear with it until Windows 10 stick another update our way, or until Firestorm does another update, or if you can find the particular part of the Windows update that might be the culprit, you can remove it. 

14 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

i still have my gtx 970 but i really don't know how to work that al.. and mostly this set up works fine

I was thinking more along the lines of plugging the second monitor into the video port on your PC's motherboard, or using a cheap display adapter like a 210 or 710 if your PC has a spare slot for it. Using the 970 for that would be a little overkill.

I used to use the integrated graphics because Premire pro can use that for hardware accelerated rendering  but then Premiere no long supports the integrated graphics from Haswell chips in 2020, so, that sucks, and if it is 'activated everytime you start PP it gives you a warning your graphics is unsupported 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.