Marketplace listing process/editing appears to be broken

Arwen Serpente

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The MP listing process and editing function appear to be broken.

I was listing some new items this morning and discovered that:

1. Once a new listing is completed, any edits thereafter are not being saved to the webpage. Same holds true for existing listings - edits are not being applied.

2. In my store, item titles and descriptions are missing for alternative languages - I list in English, so the French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese are missing titles and descriptions.  This has affected both new and old listings.  My listings have always had all fields (title, description, features) and tabs/languages filled.  Now they are blank, except for English.  I tried to edit/correct several manually (individually and in bulk) but, the system is totally inconsistent in applying the edits - even within a bulk edit group. A listing may display the correct info in English, French German on the webpage, but Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese are still blank.

I checked other stores and found totally inconsistent results - some have missing titles and descriptions, others only partially, and others appear unaffected.

This may or may not affect your store, so best just to take a peek to see.

Also, it may be affecting whether your customers can check out - there are several threads on "Access denied" and "Internal Server" errors that are active on the forum. They may or may not be related somehow (they just could be browser/cookie issues and not this). However, today, I saw a post saying that the person was unable to purchase an item because the title and description were missing. The comment is at the end of this thread https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/446541-marketplace-issues/?tab=comments#comment-2071867     

I created a JIRA based on my experience.  Please add comments if you are finding related problems.  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-228270

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Did you auto fill from an old listing?  There was a bug AGES back where if you did that, some of the issues you describe above e.g. languages missing would occur.    I can't remember if they ever fixed it (I think they did, but perhaps it reoccured?).  I will check my store, thanks for the heads up!!

• Thanks 1

I've experimented with all different ways of creating a listing. Auto fill/bulk fill, individual. I know the issue that you're referring to and there was a workaround that I have used successfully  to this day. If you are interested in more details, take a look at the JIRA I filed.  I've been going back to manually edit listings and there are real issues - for instance I edited the main description then copied it over to all the languages - then checked the listing - the main description does not reflect the change, while all the languages do. There is something very wrong.  Also, if an item is missing a title in an alternate language and the customer is shopping in that language, it cannot be purchased. The shopper makes it to check out, but the system does not recognize the item and returns an Internal Server Error message and the sale fails.  This is a big issue.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Thanks 1

Interesting!

Checking mine, English looks fine - all ads as far as I can tell.  I switched to French, and some "Titles" and entire "body" of certain ads were empty white zones = no text.  They were "older" ads, but not ancient ads. Items missing text I had added various times prior - some dated November 2019, others January 2020.  I have added new listings as recent as the last two days, that have not been affected.  Too, on the affected ads, some appear to have a text title with missing body text, except the "Title" is my uploaded Bag name (prefix "Bag...") which I always change out that text when creating the ad.  In those cases, the title seemingly had to be changed (reverted?) by the system sometime after I saved and double viewed the ad for what I wanted it to say. 

That this has affected items that I created once and never edited since, and on items created in some cases months apart but has not seemingly affected the ads I created between those two dates... hmmm

• Thanks 1

All I can say is that something is really broken. This morning I went to manually update listings for missing titles and descriptions.

- The issue of edits to listings not being saved appears to be a timing issue.  Some edits are displayed immediately upon saving. Others appear hours afterwards.  Completely random and slow.

- I used Manage Listings Search to isolate a group of my "fat packs" so I could do the edits.  However, search only recognized those items prior to listing yesterday: https://gyazo.com/f7f5b6a91fbc256e052e7e70bdd8189f 

The 5 new fat packs that I listed yesterday (and are active) are not coming up when I search Manage listings for "fat pack" (or any other search term that should bring them up). They show up only in the general Manage Listings page without any search terms used. https://gyazo.com/0d23e84ed53d4dd2ea05fe7095a33b20

- I can't say how severe the impact on business may be because of these listings problems, but I do know it is negative. Customers viewing items in their language (other than English) cannot purchase items without titles. The sale fails and returns Internal Server error messages, so those sales are lost.  The Manage Listings search issue seems more of a Merchant headache than a customer one.  It strikes me that all these problems are related and due to some change that was made to the MP Listings function in general (even though I have not heard anything about such a change).

• Thanks 1

I have been having same problems past 3 or 4 days. I have been editing many of my listings and the changes do not take. I have done these changes mainly in the evening and most seem to update by the morning, some do not! I am basically just shortening many descriptions and removing links that no longer apply. This is getting very frustrating. I have better things to do with my time, like create new items. I created another jira because on yours, there was no place to comment. This needs to be fixed FAST!

9 minutes ago, Brooke Fairplay said:

I have been having same problems past 3 or 4 days. I have been editing many of my listings and the changes do not take. I have done these changes mainly in the evening and most seem to update by the morning, some do not! I am basically just shortening many descriptions and removing links that no longer apply. This is getting very frustrating. I have better things to do with my time, like create new items. I created another jira because on yours, there was no place to comment. This needs to be fixed FAST!

Same experience here, Brooke. Editing is not being saved consistently and/or being applied hours later (ridiculously slow).  My biggest concern (for my store, maybe not yours or others) is that Item Titles and descriptions for all languages other than English have been erased by the system bug.  If someone is shopping in a language other than English they may not even notice my listings, or, if they do, their attempt to purchase will fail since the cashier cannot process a transaction without an Item title.

I desperately want this fixed. I have a feeling there are many Merchants affected who don't even realize it.  Why would they?  It's not a normal business task to go back to already created listings and page through languages to see if your copy is still there or erased.

Not sure why you can't comment on the JIRA I created except to say that a while back JIRA was made very difficult to add comments to due to griefing. Could also be that Spidey Linden accepted the JIRA. If you add a link to your JIRA here in this thread, I'll go over and see if I can add comments. I'll certainly vote for it to gain some visibility.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Sometimes the missing picture can be due to an ad blocker in your browser.  If you've got one, turn it off, refresh and take another look.  Pictures may reappear.

Thanks, not in this case, I see everyone else's posts with pictures and ones I do not see show the MP default image. That surprises me because used to be it would not post without a picture. 

@Brooke Fairplay:

I added my comment on Jira https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-228274

Though, this is not my only problem:

Description text is only shown when I login with "English" language (upper left corner of marketplace).
With every other language (German, Japanese, Portuguese a.s.o.) there is NO description text with my items.

And NO, I did not fill in my text into the other language tabs ... because
This problem is new since some days. (My last listing dates from 2020/03/01.) Until then, I could make ONE description text that was shown in ALL languages.

Moreover, there is no possibility of making any corrections to my listings (see Jira above).

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem . I cannot buy untitled products . Many of my products have no title and no description text and cannot be sold for 3 or 4 days .

I  don't know what to do but I am selling less because of this problem . People prefer to buy on the market place rather than inworld .

Is a big problem for a seller

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

don't worry, LL can always make up for lost sales by raising their MP commissions. That is much easier, much faster and much more efficient than fixing any problems Merchants are having.

Why not double them, at a stroke. Oh ...

I've been working on correcting listings that had item title & description erased by the bug.

Good news - it looks like the system delay in reflecting edits has been corrected.  I'm finding that after editing and saving, the changes are being reflected immediately (as they should). 

Bad news - items without Titles and descriptions have not been fixed. They cannot be purchased. That is lost sales.  Here's a view of a category in the MP in Japanese https://bit.ly/2TthoAh - as you scroll down, you'll see items without titles - they cannot be purchased if the shopper is shopping in Japanese (this example) and result in Internal Server Error message. If the shopper switches to English, the title is restored and the sale goes through successfully.  This needs to be fixed.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zafia Vesta said:

Hello, I am seeing my store in MP in Spanish and the description is not seen in this language either.

Yes, I gave Japanese as an example, but it is true for languages other than English as well. I took a quick look at your store (which I love :)) - the items without Titles will result in failed purchase if the shopper is trying to buy them in that language. When I looked at some of your listings, its a mixed bag - some have titles in English and Portuguese, or English and German, etc - if it has a title the sale will succeed.

This bug is incredibly frustrating. Just as I report that edits to the description are being saved and carried over to the webpage, I get a group of listings that will not change no matter how many times I save them...The English description is frozen and the other language descriptions show the new copy. Will have to check them in a few hours to see if they update. This is nuts.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.