How can I block advertising?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How can I block the advertising notice in my email from a certain group? I don't have the group on my list! I already block the people who send!

How to block just the group to not receive more publicity of this group in my email without having to deactivate the sending of offline emails?

They send advertising every 3 or10 minutes! It is very uncomfortable!

24 minutes ago, Lizz Winstanley said:

yes exactly, I receive them through my email, is it possible to block only this group?

the group is always the same "* A&P Midnight Mania & LC *"

advertising 2-vert.jpg

It may also be a Subscriber notice.  

Typically the notice will contain a line telling you the object that sent the notice and where that object is.  Go to that location. If it is a subscriber, Unsubscribe.  If not, Block / Blacklist the object.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Notices that come from subscribers look different. The subject line says "Message from Second Life" and the text is something like this:

The object '.::Secret Sale Sundays::.' has sent you a message from Second Life:
<whatever the message is>

This person's inbox says "group notice" and it's exactly the same as the ones I get from my groups. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Notices that come from subscribers look different. The subject line says "Message from Second Life" and the text is something like this:

The object '.::Secret Sale Sundays::.' has sent you a message from Second Life:
<whatever the message is>

This person's inbox says "group notice" and it's exactly the same as the ones I get from my groups. 

Shows you how much I actually pay attention to those various emails that I get.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Typically the notice will contain a line telling you the object that sent the notice and where that object is.  Go to that location. If it is a subscriber, Unsubscribe.  If not, Block / Blacklist the object.

IF it is a subscrib -O then that "may" work. Unfortunately there are a lot of cagey people that go to great lengths to NOT have the subscirber at the SLURL noted (have no idea "how" they do that).  Some also add you to there group manually an "YOU" never joined. Been there a few times.  

IF all those messages are coming from the same ADDRESS to email, then you could block them in your email program and never see them. 

IF that isn't an option you can find the owner of the group or subscriber and send a note card asking them to remove you from the group.  If that doesn't work, try a second time keeping track of your notecards and dates and be sure an include some text about sending in an abuse report.    THAT has worked for me every time. They know they shouldn't be doing this but they do it anyway.

Obviously if you are in the GROUP you can turn off emails from that group  but that doesn't seem to be your issue.

EDIT:  There is no group of that name listed in legacy Group Search (and I am guessing the OP etc may need to remove that "damaging personal info" from the thread = blocking out the name of the Group).

SO it is likely (really not too sure about this as I have never done it) that this is a mailer that is hooked up with Midnight Mania?  And by clicking a Midnight Mania (something I haven't done in years now) you get up on the list? and it looks like that list is open to a lot of folks to post their notices.    

Just a guess.    

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

the group shows up in web search:  * A&P Midnight Mania & LC *

It may be that there is something wonky in the group notices system. Dunno just might be

Lizz, what I would suggest to try is rejoin the group and then leave it again. A bit like turning the power on and off and hope that it fixes the problem

and if this doesn't fix it then file a support ticket. In the ticket explain that you are still getting notices from a group that you no longer are a member of

17 hours ago, Mollymews said:

It may be that there is something wonky in the group notices system. 

and if this doesn't fix it then file a support ticket. In the ticket explain that you are still getting notices from a group that you no longer are a member of

It's most likely a spam bot automated system if it's sending that many notices.  It's programmed to do that.  I dunno what wonky means but I do believe it's a spam bot automated system.  Even though there are a bunch of different offers to see...it's still all automated.  Sellers can pay a certain amount of money each week to the spam bots and the bots send out the notices, not even real people.  

18 hours ago, Mollymews said:

It may be that there is something wonky in the group notices system. Dunno just might be

Lizz, what I would suggest to try is rejoin the group and then leave it again. A bit like turning the power on and off and hope that it fixes the problem

Nothing wonky with the system. It's that particular group. I ended up leaving it and a couple of others some time back because of the constant flood of ads inworld. Which is the reason I don't have offlines sent to email. I get more than my fair share of "regular" junk mail in my email as it is without adding SL junk emails to it.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.