Jump to content
  • 0
KikiJadyn

Secondlife wont load*

Question

Hi everyone 

the world isnt loading for me and keeps saying update video drivers.. i did that but keep getting the same message, am i going to have to get a better computer just to run this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
11 minutes ago, KikiJadyn said:

Hi everyone 

the world isnt loading for me and keeps saying update video drivers.. i did that but keep getting the same message, am i going to have to get a better computer just to run this?

Does the viewer display the log-in screen before getting that message?  If you can get the viewer screen up - and before logging in - go to  "Help" -> "About <viewername>" and then copy and paste the information from that here. That will help others here figure out why you might be getting that message, and also if there is a work around that might work for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

No i cant get into the log in screen it says Firestorm is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest try reinstalling them. If you continue to receive this message contact the secondlife support portal. Thats the whole message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I think it is saying my graphics card isnt good enough to run secondlife and i need a newer laptop with a nvidia graphics card or a radeon or whatever the really good ones are.... but it used to let me log in before 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, KikiJadyn said:

I think it is saying my graphics card isnt good enough to run secondlife and i need a newer laptop with a nvidia graphics card or a radeon or whatever the really good ones are.... but it used to let me log in before 

What are your current specs?

Easiest way is to use speccy to get the system information, post a screenshot of that here.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
Some other people have been mentioning similar problems with firestorm recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm getting the same message - for the first time ever. - "Second Life is unable to run because you video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers, and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them.  If you continue to receive this message, contact Second Life Support. "   I have new gamer laptop (HP Omen/Bang & Olufsen) witn updated Nvidia graphic card drivers.  

I use Firestorm too - got the same message.

Joni Jameson

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Before logging in you can open the viewer's HELP->About and copy that info to paste here. Then we can tell if you have a problem.

That you have NVIDIA and get the message suggests you are on a laptop in power-save mode, which turns off the NVIDIA chip and uses the CPU HD Graphics. But, since you didn't give us anything to go on... may be not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2/28/2020 at 9:01 PM, Joni Jameson said:

I'm getting the same message - for the first time ever. - "Second Life is unable to run because you video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers, and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them.  If you continue to receive this message, contact Second Life Support. "   I have new gamer laptop (HP Omen/Bang & Olufsen) witn updated Nvidia graphic card drivers.  

I use Firestorm too - got the same message.

Joni Jameson

 

 

 

On 2/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Joni Jameson said:

My graphics drive was just updated yesterday, btw.

 

Try a reboot if you haven't since the graphics driver update.  Then, since it is a laptop, it likely has 2 graphics cards -- verify that you have the SL viewer set to use the Nvidia card.  Sometimes that gets reset after driver updates.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi guys sorry i ran that Speccy thing that someone suggested and here's what it says : Operating system :windows 10  Pro 64 bit  CPU: Intel pentium T4200 @2.0 Ghz RAM: 3.00GB Dual channel DDR2 @ 333MHz  Motherboard: AsusTek Computer Inc. K50IJ    * Graphics: Generic PnP Moniter, Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express chipset Family     Storage: 931 GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB,     Optical Drives: MATSHIDA DVD RAM UJ880AS   Audio: High Definiton Audio Device    Thats the specs i guess I don't know wha t it all means so, if someone could help to tell me plus,  I am saving up some money to upgrade with paypal but it is going to take me a few months because surveys don't pay that good but at least its something.. I wish I could just come into some money then i wouldn't have to worry about it at all.. So, yeah those numbers and letters are what speccy came up with.. I know the laptop is old but i have logged iun before aNd pl;ayed although it was reaalllllyyy laggy and i could barely walk around but at least I was logged in.. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If you really have only 3 GB of RAM (main system memory), you do need to increase that, or get a different computer, as soon as possible.  Just running Windows 10 needs a minimum of 4 GB!  To run SL, you should have 8 GB of RAM at least.

Many laptops can be upgraded with additional RAM.  Take yours to a computer repair place, or Best Buy's "Geek Squad" counter and ask if they can do that with your machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, KikiJadyn said:

Motherboard: AsusTek Computer Inc. K50IJ

There are no Windows 10 drivers for this computer's video chip. You might be able to get it to work under Windows 8.1, but other than that, it's time for a new computer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, KikiJadyn said:

Hi guys sorry i ran that Speccy thing that someone suggested and here's what it says : Operating system :windows 10  Pro 64 bit  CPU: Intel pentium T4200 @2.0 Ghz RAM: 3.00GB Dual channel DDR2 @ 333MHz  Motherboard: AsusTek Computer Inc. K50IJ    * Graphics: Generic PnP Moniter, Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express chipset Family     Storage: 931 GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB,     Optical Drives: MATSHIDA DVD RAM UJ880AS   Audio: High Definiton Audio Device    Thats the specs i guess I don't know wha t it all means so, if someone could help to tell me plus,  I am saving up some money to upgrade with paypal but it is going to take me a few months because surveys don't pay that good but at least its something.. I wish I could just come into some money then i wouldn't have to worry about it at all.. So, yeah those numbers and letters are what speccy came up with.. I know the laptop is old but i have logged iun before aNd pl;ayed although it was reaalllllyyy laggy and i could barely walk around but at least I was logged in.. 😕

There’s nothing to do with this tbh, it could play SL but you’ll need to run Linux or Windows 7 at the newest just for the sake of video drivers.

SL will run on it and ive run it on lower end hardware even, but it’s barely playable. Even if you got SL running on this laptop it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience.

There are no upgrades to do, no cpu change or more ram or whatever is going to make it playable. Look into a new laptop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Kiki Jaden 

The problem was with the Windows 10 update that screwed with graphic cards.(It surppresed my graphic card from showing in the active operating system). Even though my NVIDIA showed in the software, it was disabled.  Windows released an update that helped address it - but my HP support expert also made a modification so that windows would not put the graphic card to sleep.

 

Good luck.

Joni

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Okay thanks for the information everyone.. I am looking and trying to earn Paypal money to do that.. I am kind of addicted to the game and am so upset that i cant play plus i have some cool friends on it too that i really miss hanging out with.. i hope i can get back on it sooner rather than later.. I am happy that someone answered because i really dont understand what all the numbers meant but i do know that higher numbers mean better stuff i just have to upgrade.. "sighes" I wish i could hit the lottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yeah I'm gonna save up some money and get my newer updated laptop then.. one with the right ram and graphics card.. so I  guess i need a Nvidia or Radeon or Ryzen I guess from what i saw doing some online research for gaming laptops.. But man they aren't cheap even the lower end ones are up there too.. Ugh. whoever said to be careful what you wish for got it wrong because I have been wishing for money for a while and haven't gotten jack sh*t for it.. Have a nice evening everyone and thanks for the input..:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, KikiJadyn said:

Yeah I'm gonna save up some money and get my newer updated laptop then.. one with the right ram and graphics card.. so I  guess i need a Nvidia or Radeon or Ryzen I guess from what i saw doing some online research for gaming laptops.. But man they aren't cheap even the lower end ones are up there too.. Ugh. whoever said to be careful what you wish for got it wrong because I have been wishing for money for a while and haven't gotten jack sh*t for it.. Have a nice evening everyone and thanks for the input..:)

 

If You just want “playable” on the super cheap, pick up anything newer than 2nd gen Intel. Old business laptops are dirt cheap.

Thinkpad T420 (14” size), T520 (15”), X220 (13” small), or W520 (giant ass workstation).

Theyre all 2nd gen mobile i3/i5/i7. With Intel HD3000 graphics. Nothing impressive, the machines are from 2011. But they cost about 100$ tops all ready to go and will make SL more playable. Nothing where you’re gonna be maxing settings and seeing 60fps, but medium/low settings to get 15-20fps in most places. 
They’re abundant on eBay, there’s an endless supply of off-lease business laptops.

Anything newer as well, the naming scheme for Thinkpads goes with the generation. T420 is 2nd gen, T430 is 3rd gen, T440 is 4th gen, etc. Performance only goes up with each generation but sandy bridge 2nd gen is the base line.

For comparisons sake, your current laptop is in the Late Core2duo generation and it’s on the low end, late 2000’s type of stuff. It only runs SL on a technicality, as in it will technically run. But it’s not gonna be a great experience. I ran SL on a similar age laptop but a generation back, mid Core2duo era stuff with a slightly weaker integrated graphics chipset, saw maybe 2-3fps on a good day in the majority of places on the minimum settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

eBay has i5-2400 (2nd gen) to i5-7400 (7th gen) laptops with 14" screens for US$30 to $120.

The Pentium is old. The iCore CPUs are newer. the i3, i5, and i7 chips are designated sort of like cars with 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines. For SL the i5 is plenty as SL uses mostly a single CPU core (think cylinder) with side processes of the viewer using as many as 20 threads (threads being an independent task run by a core in the CPU). i5 CPUs handle SL well enough that mine (i5-6600) usually runs at a 25% load with SL. My FPS is 20 to 150 depending on region and avatars present.

The number after tells what generation and how feature rich the model is. A i5-6xxx is a sith generation CPU. It has newer better processing and video tech than a 5th gen. Price is dependent on which chip is in a unit.

While you are saving up some cash watch eBay. There are some DEALS that come through. Some people sell stuff without ever checking what other units like theirs are going for. Snap up a deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ok, guys well thanks for all the info.. I really don't know too much about these things but i do know that i need a better one than what im using now if it doesnt even get to the log in page.. 😞 I hope when I get a new one that will be the last time I have to upgrade for getting logged into SL..I just really miss talking with my friends and getting into contests for lindens but hey now that i know about these surveys i can get my own lindens and actually go shopping for some new good stuff and who doesn't like that right?? So, Cheesecurd, thank you for telling me what to look for    i did see something at my walmart store today for $359.00 and it had ryzen graphics with it plus the other higher end gaming stuff which I would seriously LOVE to own.. but I dont have over $1,000.00 to spend but trust me if i did I really would... I just really really really really want to be able to play again.. And thank you too, Nalates Urriah.. You both were a great help with my questions.. I will be looking up some of the ones you said to watch for and doing more surveys to get my money right to buy one 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, KikiJadyn said:

i did see something at my walmart store today for $359.00 and it had ryzen graphics

Sounds like one of the little Ryzen APU laptops, of which there are many. Should be a good choice for SL, see if you can find a similar one on sale anywhere because they tend to frequently go on sale and drop below the $300 mark.

Any of them with the Ryzen 3200u and 8gb of ram or better will do just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...