could coronavirus be a good opportunity for sl

JahPorka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Cinn, don't worry about it. It's really not very important, and I don't think I have a great deal more to say on the subject anyway.

Let's just agree to disagree: life's too short (and, right now, dark and weird) to waste time on "tussles," right?

Not even to hear a grudging "you have a point, but?" 

I hate typing on my phone.  I really like the new direction of this thread.  What are you reading today?  My closest book at the moment is  HG Wells The Time Machine.

• Like 3

There are the Forum Famous and Forum Legends and let us not leave out the Forum Elite, since I noted that I never get titled anything reprintable, I will humbly accept the title of Queen of the Derail. 

Yes, I now dub thee: Thread of "What are you reading now?" with a side thread of what are you drinking with it? To go with the BDSM Club books (and, yeah, that's a real thing) I still have half a box of the sublime Bota Box pinot grigio, which in a Food & Wine review received top honors as "for a boxed wine it actually tastes like... wine!"

YW

ts curtsey.gif

@Beth Macbain and I share the guilty pleasure of liking Taylor Swift (I suspect Beth and I share several guilty pleasures, but not together in the same room, I don't roll that way). She once mentioned that there is an appropriate Taylor Swift gif for every occasion. Recently I've been trying to see if that is true, and darned if it isn't. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

@Beth Macbain and I share the guilty pleasure of liking Taylor Swift (I suspect Beth and I share several guilty pleasures, but not together in the same room, I don't roll that way). She once mentioned that there is an appropriate Taylor Swift gif for every occasion. Recently I've been trying to see if that is true, and darned if it isn't.

Taylor_Swift.gif.12d4d61105bd987f4d992e5268d58e32.gif

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I hate typing on my phone.  I really like the new direction of this thread.  What are you reading today?  My closest book at the moment is  HG Wells The Time Machine.

I've been slogging through a whole bunch of Henry James recently, and the poems and other bits and pieces of Dorothy Parker.

I've decided a need her biography, or perhaps a book about the Algonquin Round Table. I need to be more fabulous and glamorous and witty.

(I'm thinking about dipping into Nancy Mitford soon, too. Because I also want to be a Bright Young Person. (Well, one out of three isn't bad.)

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've been slogging through a whole bunch of Henry James recently, and the poems and other bits and pieces of Dorothy Parker.

I've decided a need her biography, or perhaps a book about the Algonquin Round Table. I need to be more fabulous and glamorous and witty.

(I'm thinking about dipping into Nancy Mitford soon, too. Because I also want to be a Bright Young Person. (Well, one out of three isn't bad.)

I like James a lot, but I LOVE Nancy Mitford! Let me know what you think of her. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I like James a lot, but I LOVE Nancy Mitford! me know what you think of her. 

Me too! How very U of both of us!

Well, actually, I've only ever read The Pursuit of Love, which I took up many years ago when I was going through a Waugh phase (as one does). I never got to the sequels -- I'm not sure why not.

It'll be interesting reading her in ebook format, rather than a battered old Penguin. For some reason, I really associate Waugh and that generation of comic novelists with battered old Penguins. They just seem "right" . . .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Me too! How very U of both of us!

Well, actually, I've only ever read The Pursuit of Love, which I took up many years ago when I was going through a Waugh phase (as one does). I never got to the sequels -- I'm not sure why not.

It'll be interesting reading her in ebook format, rather than a battered old Penguin. For some reason, I really associate Waugh and that generation of comic novelists with battered old Penguins. They just seem "right" . . .

Pursuit is the best, I think. What are some of your other favorites? It’s like we share some of the same best friends 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

What are some of your other favorites? It’s like we share some of the same best friends 🙂

Oh, where to start? A lot of the time, it depends on mood.

Let's see, novelists in the last 100 years or so . . . they're mostly British, although I read a smattering of American and Canadian. Waugh, Woolf, Forster, Wodehouse, Graham Greene, Muriel Spark, Kingsley Amis (but not his annoying son), Barbara Pym. I think my two favourite contemporary novelists are Jeanette Winterson and Julian Barnes. Ian McEwan traumatizes me too much. Nicholson Baker is funny and weird. Neil Gaiman. Andre Alexis and Thomas King (Canadian). I'm actually not a huge fan of Atwood.

Pre-1920 is a whole other bag.

I'm sure I've missed a ton, but that's a start!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, where to start? A lot of the time, it depends on mood.

Let's see, novelists in the last 100 years or so . . . they're mostly British, although I read a smattering of American and Canadian. Waugh, Woolf, Forster, Wodehouse, Graham Greene, Muriel Spark, Kingsley Amis (but not his annoying son), Barbara Pym. I think my two favourite contemporary novelists are Jeanette Winterson and Julian Barnes. Ian McEwan traumatizes me too much. Nicholson Baker is funny and weird. Neil Gaiman. Andre Alexis and Thomas King (Canadian). I'm actually not a huge fan of Atwood.

Pre-1920 is a whole other bag.

I'm sure I've missed a ton, but that's a start!

You have hit the Jackpot again: I have read one book each from Waugh, Forster, Pym, Amis, and Barnes, looong ago, several Wodehouses, but GRAHAM GREENE is one of my very top favorites, and I think I have read everything of his in all genres!  His gift is supernatural. 

I will look into the others you named — I have a hard time finding things I can stand to read. 

I can’t think of any I have read from the same era besides mystery writers like Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.