How to make someone else's object disappear?

Leandra Kohnke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried looking for this in the knowledge base but couldn't find it. My problem is that my neighbour has a building he uses as an "art" installation. His installation is a very bright very large Nazi swastika high in the air and beside it a picture of Trump wearing a Hitler uniform. As a Jew I find the trivialization of the Holocaust to be extremely annoying. I find the huge vivid glow in the dark Swastika "triggering" and since I am married to an American who is also a Republican I find equating the leader of his country and his political party to be the same as Hitler to be really distasteful. The region is general and I bought land in a general region to try avoid this kind of garbage. He did not have his disgusting childish political hate on full display when I bought the land. I do not have any political stuff on my land. Is there some way I can derezz the object this pair of images is on so I don't have to see it every time I look up? My land is around his on three sides and it seems like every time I fly or turn or look at the sky this horrid THING is staring at me. People are entitled to their political opinions however awful and bigoted they may be, but I really dislike the way he is subjecting me to his. Getting rid of being able to see his display would resolve my discomfort without interfering with his right to display his Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Abuse Report in the "Broadly Offensive" category.  Ensure you are standing within 50 meters when you do.  Don't expect IMMEDIATE action.  Governance team is busy.

If any portion of his object is encroaching upon your land you may "return" it yourself.

Edited by TVTuner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

AR and then derender.

3 hours ago, Leandra Kohnke said:

Can you explain how one does a "derender"?

It is a typical presumption that you are using a specific third-party viewer.

Okay, so first get as close as you can to the offending material, and ALT-CAM to show it clearly. When you create an abuse report, the report will use your camera view as a screenshot and your avatar position as the location.

Based on your description, fly up close to it (so your avatar is close) - then alt-cam far away enough to show the entire offense from below and explain that it can be seen from the ground (and report the draw distance setting you have.)

While filing the Abuse Report, there is a button to report an object - click that then click on the offending objects. Under the category, choose the one you feel is the most relevant, because your description could fall into a few of them. In any case, you are describing an offense to Community Standards.

If you are using the Second Life Viewer from Linden Lab, then you do not have a de-render option (it shows how self-centered a world-view is for some people are when giving this advice as a sole solution). The best you can hope for is for Linden Lab to remove the offense or to sell your parcel and move away to another parcel somewhere else. In that case you can try to sell your existing parcel or cut your losses and abandon it.

It is unfortunate that extreme liberal types tend to prefer inciting violence or using vitriolic methods of communication. And I agree, throwing the nazi term around does not offend their target as much as it deemphasizes the weight of evil that they were, the same with references to Hitler. But c'est la vie, I suppose. 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leandra Kohnke said:

Yes I filed an abuse report and I used by Firestorm viewer to find the derender command and it vanished. Poof! Gone! Like it does not even exist anymore. So very nice. Thank you everyone.

In these cases, always do file an Abuse Report, because when you defender anything - it is only derendered for you. All visitors to your place will still see it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not needed, when AR a object it automaticly takes the location, even on a different region.

To that end, a few things residents can do when making Abuse Reports can help greatly:

• Make sure the abuse report includes a clear screenshot of the violation (if applicable)
  • Click on the offending object in edit so it is highlighted in the screenshot when you report it.
  • Be close to the object when you report it and not camming in from 200m away. 
    That way the investigating person can easy see what the problem is and find it quickly from the slurl in the report.

Edited by TVTuner

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not needed, when AR a object it automaticly takes the location, even on a different region.

Absolutely true for objects.

2 hours ago, TVTuner said:

Stand within 50 meters of the offending object when opening Abuse Report dialog to save the Governance team time.

This only applies when the object itself cannot be found (such as a sound or particle emitter or an agent, etc.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.