Animesh Hair

Annie Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

35 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

When done well, Flexi hair is still king. And mesh hair that uses flexi elements often looks superior and not so plastic. Fact: Mesh aint all that. Sometimes good old fashioned prims work better.

Well, whether something looks better or not is a matter of personal taste. I agree that flexi CAN look good (and Coby’s example above is an example of it looking great), but I personally don’t care for the aesthetics of it. I have long hair in RL, and when walking down the road it does not flow wildly around my shoulders (or through my shoulders 😉). In cases like that, mesh hair is closer to reality. 

37 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I have long hair in RL, and when walking down the road it does not flow wildly around my shoulders (or through my shoulders 😉). In cases like that, mesh hair is closer to reality. 

I do also! And I have worm my hair in the same style as the thread topic (when traditional is warranted) and my hair doesn't swing the way it does in the this example! I am not saying it wouldn't swing this way, but rather it has a lot to do with how one walks. Which is why I'm still curious about how well the AO-proper is (I haven't had an opportunity to demo, yet.) Though I am skeptical, at this point, with regard to the idea becoming a big thing.

As for the flexi bit: I did infer well-made. LOL

Edit to add: the best-case scenario might have been to have the hair scripted independently of the AO-proper; just a scripted animesh object that changes animation based on avatar movement or lack thereof. The creator that does this will have created a real thing that could sell well. As I understand this item (thread subject specifically) - one would have to change their full AO every time they change their hair when these are among the choices. Ummm, not so sure about that. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I do also! And I have worm my hair in the same style as the thread topic (when traditional is warranted) and my hair doesn't swing the way it does in the this example! I am not saying it wouldn't swing this way, but rather it has a lot to do with how one walks. Which is why I'm still curious about how well the AO-proper is (I haven't had an opportunity to demo, yet.) Though I am skeptical, at this point, with regard to the idea becoming a big thing.

As for the flexi bit: I did infer well-made. LOL

Edit to add: the best-case scenario might have been to have the hair scripted independently of the AO-proper; just a scripted animesh object that changes animation based on avatar movement or lack thereof. The creator that does this will have created a real thing that could sell well. As I understand this item (thread subject specifically) - one would have to change their full AO every time they change their hair when these are among the choices. Ummm, not so sure about that. :)

I have doubts that it will become a big thing too, especially if every style requires a new $L900 AO. That’s a bit much to ask of people! I am curious to see where it goes from here, and if independently scripted animesh hair is in our future, like you mention above. I’d love to see that! But I’ll pass on having to buy an AO plus hair. 

where I would be interested in animesh hair is when it helps rigged hair to be moved closer or further away from the body or even a bit to the side sometimes

like when wearing a top vs wearing a coat for example. Other example of this is when  wearing a ponytail with and without a backpack.  Same when wearing bows on the front of a bodice. Being able to move the hair away from the bow would be quite nice, bringing the hair back closer to the body when not wearing a bodice bow

with short hair strands as well. Like when wearing sticky out elf/neko ears or biggy earrings. Being able to move rigged hair away from the ears so it doesn't clip them would be a nice to have

using animesh to simulate flex is cool, but I think I rather have being able to adjust my rigged hair to better fit what I am wearing

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

where I would be interested in animesh hair is when it helps rigged hair to be moved closer or further away from the body or even a bit to the side sometimes

like when wearing a top vs wearing a coat for example. Other example of this is when  wearing a ponytail with and without a backpack.  Same when wearing bows on the front of a bodice. Being able to move the hair away from the bow would be quite nice, bringing the hair back closer to the body when not wearing a bodice bow

with short hair strands as well. Like when wearing sticky out elf/neko ears or biggy earrings. Being able to move rigged hair away from the ears so it doesn't clip them would be a nice to have

using animesh to simulate flex is cool, but I think I rather have being able to adjust my rigged hair to better fit what I am wearing

You are describing object collision, which is not at all support in SL. Everything is basically a non-tangible "ghost" - think of everything as being made of gasses, nothing is solid unless it is made to be physical - so what you are describing is if each attachment worn had its own physics (which would be great!) - but, alas, impossible in SL the way the software is developed.

• Like 1

I  risked this on my alt because now my curiosity is about to kill me. I'll report after I've vetted this thing. Hahahaha!

In short: the AO is built into the hair and is apparently priority 6 - it overrides all other MOs (that's a good thing) - the stands appear to auto-advance every minute or two or three. It's still designed for people with baby-arm lengths and 9 foot tall avatars (you'll be buried halfway into the ground if you G-Sit) - other than that the stands are very conservative, nothing silly or whacky, the walk and run are realistic.

The real question is; Will ever new Animesh hair cost L$1100? Sheesh.

Edited by Alyona Su

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I  risked this on my alt because now my curiosity is about to kill me. I'll report after I've vetted this thing. Hahahaha!

In short: the AO is built into the hair and is apparently priority 6 - it overrides all other MOs (that's a good thing) - the stands appear to auto-advance every minute or two or three. It's still designed for people with baby-arm lengths and 9 foot tall avatars (you'll be buried halfway into the ground if you G-Sit) - other than that the stands are very conservative, nothing silly or whacky, the walk and run are realistic.

The real question is; Will ever new Animesh hair cost L$1100? Sheesh.

Animesh uses a separate skeleton from the avatar itself, so even priority 1 animations would be enough to not get affected by things like furniture or dances.

35 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Animesh uses a separate skeleton from the avatar itself, so even priority 1 animations would be enough to not get affected by things like furniture or dances.

It's Animesh, b ut it's using full animations that animate the avatar. And for the record: Stay out of LL water LOL

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

It's Animesh, b ut it's using full animations that animate the avatar. And for the record: Stay out of LL water LOL

Yup, it plays two animations per "stand" or whatever state the avi is in. When you're sitting, the hair plays a sit animation for the avatar, and a totally separate animation (using bones like tail, spine, leg, etc) for the hair. This way the hair's animations don't conflict with bones the actual avatar might be using. (So for example, if the hair used the tail bones but you have a tail, the hair would cause your tail to wave around as well if it wasn't a separate animesh object.)

What might be an interesting thing to do is to into the hair's contents and play one of the hair-animations on your own avatar.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 1/24/2020 at 6:35 PM, Mollymews said:

Animesh is relatively expensive as an attachment. Animesh is an avatar, a thing with a skeleton. The Lindens did limit and optimize to reduce the render cost. But, for an attachment it is render expensive.

Animating different attachments and keeping them in sync is difficult. 

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Animating different attachments and keeping them in sync is difficult. 

yes. Like you say, at the moment an animesh object has no way of knowing/understandiing the avatar skeleton  when the avatar skeleton is being animated by an independent process (some other animation not made by the animesh object creator)

maybe one day Linden might give us the ability to rig an animesh object's skeleton, when attached, against the avatar skeleton as well as against its own

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Not quite as extreme of an effect, but yeah, animated capes exist. (Both animesh and traditionally rigged.)

Yes, yes. I have them. Since I have premie account I can wear the hair and the cape, my cake and eating it, too. Then I get to kill everyone's frame rate. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.