Overall SL Performance down?

Rhyn Inglewood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alot of cables got cut in Asia and Eastern Europe, and for those in the UK cables got cut in London. Whilst it shouldn't take long for providers to route around the problems. I am thinking perhaps that has put additional strain on the internet. I have been having problems since Thursday, but not just with SL, even youtube videos are pausing to cache. My connection is poor at the best of times so it doesn't take much to tip things to being noticeably bad. If things don't improve by next weekend I will be calling my ISP up to see what is going on and if the problem I am having can be fixed by upgrading to a more expensive service.

• Like 1

Many cable providers are throttling people by routing them on overloaded lanes while providing faster lanes to bigger customers, we were told this would never happen after giving them the right to police themselves, basicly our current president sold us out by removing protections for us.   https://www.battleforthenet.com/

On 12/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, Chic Aeon said:
On 12/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Overall SL mesh triangles up

Creators aren't ashamed anymore to sell ornaments for the christmas tree, made of 65536 triangles each.

I thought the point of this thread was like --- THE LAST FEW DAYS

Overall SL mesh triangles up THE LAST FEW DAYS then. Because: Christmas?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Well certainly could be all the gifts out --- BUT over on the new part of Belli where there are hardly any people moved in yet things are rezzing VERY SLOWLY as in prims first then shadows on shadow prims then furniture here and there and finally the houses. Now I know the houses have lots of scripts in them and that might be why they are rezzing slowest THERE but it (for me) it is all over except for my place.  

BUT you certainly may be partly correct since I just teleported down to my ground level which I haven't visited in awhile so not in cache and while I could watch the textures come in things did rez fairly normally.  This is a stand alone homestead and pretty much made with my "game asset" mesh -- so really not the norm of SL - LOL.  IF it is just so very many folks not knowing, paying attention or CARING -- then this is not a good sign.   

Sadly.     Hopefully things will improve. May in part be movement to the cloud (no idea how that is going). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Not really, if anything there is less triangles around, because less people online during holidays. You can check the graphs on various sites with SL stats. And xmas decor mostly replaces the usual one, people don't tend to have unlimited free LI to add more things on top of what they already have, so it's a seasonal/temporary replacement, not an addition to already existing stuff.

2 hours ago, ArielEngle said:

maybe Second life needs to limit creators on the complexity of the items they make so rendering can improve cause clothes don't need scipts

I do believe there is no correlation between rendering performance and the number of scripts the object has. Rendering performance is mostly a viewer side calculation while scripts mostly execute with the server's resources.

But, since clothes do not need scripts, why stop there? Mesh bodies do not need scripts either, according to your logic. Neither does hair. The only virtual worlds that I am aware of where clothing, hair, and bodies mostly do not have scripts are those built upon OpenSim. But do not get too comfortable as scripted goodies are gaining popularity there too.

Edited by DilliDallagio
grammar
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, steeljane42 said:

because less people online during holidays.

But not before, when people play dollhouse and barbie in SL and dress up themselves and their houses exorbitantly for Christmas and leave all the triangles there for you.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.