Overall SL Performance down?

Rhyn Inglewood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Rhyn Inglewood said:

What's up with SL lately?  Textures aren't caching, objects aren't rezzing, overall performance just seems degraded.  Anyone else noticing this? 

I have to say, personally, no, I'm not. In fact, quite the contrary: SL has been behaving remarkably well for me recently.

I tend to notice when it doesn't, because I do a lot of photos, and that involves ramping my graphics settings all the way up in most instances: when there is even a slight change in performance, it becomes very noticeable with everything up high, and I'm saving a 6000px wide pic.

I think that there are so many variables involved in what makes for good performance that it can be really difficult to make generalizations based upon one's own experience?

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have to say, personally, no, I'm not. In fact, quite the contrary: SL has been behaving remarkably well for me recently.

I tend to notice when it doesn't, because I do a lot of photos, and that involves ramping my graphics settings all the way up in most instances: when there is even a slight change in performance, it becomes very noticeable with everything up high, and I'm saving a 6000px wide pic.

I think that there are so many variables involved in what makes for good performance that it can be really difficult to make generalizations based upon one's own experience?

True, but textures not caching and objects not loading isn't a generalization.  It's definitely happening more than usual for me.

4 minutes ago, Rhyn Inglewood said:

True, but textures not caching and objects not loading isn't a generalization.  It's definitely happening more than usual for me.

Oh, I don't doubt for a moment that that's your experience. I'm just not sure how likely that is to be an SL-wide phenomenon.

It's also true that maybe there has been a degradation in the grid's performance, but that for obscure reasons having to do with my internet, or the regions I'm going to, or whatever, it's not hitting me as it hits you. It's entirely possible that your poor experience is the norm, and my better one is the aberration.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rhyn Inglewood said:

What's up with SL lately?  Textures aren't caching, objects aren't rezzing, overall performance just seems degraded.  Anyone else noticing this? 

Are you getting an error message? https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_textures_discarded

A few possibilities: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/graphics_crashes_and_glitches

Or you could look for yourself: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/firestorm_troubleshooting 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rhyn Inglewood said:

I've noticed all of that yesterday, in particular the long delay in rezzing some objects, and also taking longer for the new baked textures to appear when changing clothes. I suspect it's increased usage not just of SL at the weekend but of the whole internet.

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've noticed all of that yesterday, in particular the long delay in rezzing some objects, and also taking longer for the new baked textures to appear when changing clothes. I suspect it's increased usage not just of SL at the weekend but of the whole internet.

Yeah, it's holiday season. Students are home for vacation and hiding from their families by diving on line.  It happens every year at this time. Lots of free time, followed in a few days by lots of new computers that people got for Christmas.  I haven't noticed any unusual problems myself yet, but I tend to avoid crowded places in world and I have a fairly high-end machine.

• Like 1

I've just done some testing and this issue might not be LL's servers but the clients/ client hardware causing the delays?

I popped over to see a friend who'd complained last night about things being rezzed and simply not appearing, at about the same time I was trying to build and was getting agitated about how long it was taking to see what I was doing.

The item they were rezzing, a two-sculpt  linkset, was remaining invisible to them for several minutes although the area search picked it up instantly. I watched, using Singularity, and the sculpts appeared, properly shaped, after a 15-second delay, while they couldn't see it for up to five minutes. They tried both the LL viewer and CoolVlViewer, with similar delays. We then did some tests which showed that when I used the LL viewer with ALM on, I couldn't see the item when it was rezzed, but turning off ALM made it appear at once, and they found the same thing with CoolVlViewer. So the server was giving out the object information at once, while the clients were then having a variable (15 seconds to 5 minutes) think about it.

Of course, there might have been a different problem last night, and LL might have seen the forum posts and investigated to fix something, these things can happen :)

44 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I haven't noticed any unusual problems myself yet, but I tend to avoid crowded places in world ....

Peak.thumb.jpg.bfd5f976b33e560204bcd9078a9c62d5.jpg

Same here. Alone on my sim for now. Steady as she goes aside one high peak.

The calm before the coming storm. Or breeze. We' ll see.

Yes, I've noticed severe lagging in places where I normally do not, even with my graphics down. Loading textures in Bellissaria is gruellingly slow. I've crashed out of SL several times in just a few days, and that is really unusual. Worst though, was yesterday all of my landmark history disappeared. AUUUUUUUGH. You know, the teleport history for the past...ever. The reason I no longer keep physical LMs in my inventory? Just... gone. I'm really hoping that's a one day glitch. I tried logging out and in yesterday to fix it, to no avail. Of course most of my issues could be on my side of things, not the LL side of things. (The TP history though? That's LL right?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

(The TP history though? That's LL right?)

Sadly for you, that is a locally stored file created by viewer usage. If you bounce between different viewers, there will be a teleport_history.xml file in each location on your local drive where they store your user data. If your teleport historical record in-viewer is empty it is because it cannot find its associated file.

A further look on my own system shows each viewer names its teleport history file differently. One viewer names it "teleport_history.xml" the other calls it "tp_history.xml." The contents of each are different and reflect the in-world places I visited and left using each viewer.

Edited by DilliDallagio
Notes on unique naming of local teleport history file.
  • Thanks 1

This is off topic, but the comment about increased internet use during the holidays reminded me:

I read an article that said that the internet was a huge contributor to greenhouse emissions and climate change.  It said that something like 20% of emissions are due to the enormous power consumption of all our computers, servers, transmitters, receivers, etc. etc.

We're going to all have to be Amish, by and by.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:39 AM, Rhyn Inglewood said:

Maybe, but I'm noticing it on sims where there aren't even other people, just my own stuff and nothing scripted. 

Hardware / driver /network issue?

If you do much modern gaming will have noticed that often when there is an update to the OS and an update to the graphics drivers - when they are not closely aligned in time there's a period in between where everything starts to suck...

Maybe some windows / Mac / Linux update has your GPU out of sync what the OS now thinks is ideal?

This is why on gamer forums the first response to most tech support issues is "see if there's an update for your graphics card".

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Ok, I've repeated the tests I ran earlier today and there's not much change in the times for the objects to appear (slight, say in the order of another 3-4- seconds). Now, since the textures in the places I visit are already cached, any slow loading times and grey periods can't be due to anything other than a slightly longer time for the region to send me all the object position and geometry and texture details, because it can't take any longer for my PC to look through the cache for a particular texture and splat it on the faces. So, I suspect the delays are due to more people logged in demanding data from things like the assets servers, the bake servers, and then of course, there's network bottlenecking.

So, the worst case scenario is that what's wrong with SL is -

us. There's too many of us logged in.

• Like 2

Here's another thing: many creators of clothing items don't seem to care about optimizing tri counts in medium and low LoD 3D models, because land impact does not count for attachments. So if someone's wearing a nice dress, each and every triangle of that dress is being processed by computers from people standing hundreds of meters away. The customers don't know and the creators don't care.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Overall SL mesh triangles up

Creators aren't ashamed anymore to sell ornaments for the christmas tree, made of 65536 triangles each.

I thought the point of this thread was like --- THE LAST FEW DAYS.  That was MY reading anway :D.  And to that, I say yes. Case in point.  I have been checking the Cosmopolitan Advent tree daily -- usually early in the morning like now.  Yesterday for the first time clicking on a sock gave me multiple copies of the item in most cases. One item it was like EIGHT copies. I went back later in the day and this continued.  Some mesh was loading very slowly and invisible for awhile.  This is not a normal occurrence for me. 

I agree that many creators don't care how heavy there mesh is. No argument there. But that problem is NOT NEW.    

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.