Catwa Head/ Signature Gianni Neck Seam Issue

Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all :)  I've been helping my husband get his Catwa head a shape he'd like and we've succeeded.  Yay!  The only problem I'm finding is in minimizing the neck seam appearance.  He has matching head/ body appliers from Adam &Eve, and we've tweaked the snot out of Windlight settings to no avail.

Is there something else we're not thinking of?  I'm attaching his picture for reference.

Syn Neck Seam.png

No. The seam will always be there, and its prominence will depend on the lighting setup - which also means that you have no means of controlling how others perceive it on their end, with their graphic settings and windlight options.

What you can do is use a neck sleeve, I think both Signature and Catwa include options for them. It's either that, or covering it with an accessory, such as a scarf or choker. Personally I don't like the neck fixes, as they net you more clipping edges than the single seam between the head and body itself, especially when you're moving.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orwar said:

No. The seam will always be there, and its prominence will depend on the lighting setup - which also means that you have no means of controlling how others perceive it on their end, with their graphic settings and windlight options.

What you can do is use a neck sleeve, I think both Signature and Catwa include options for them. It's either that, or covering it with an accessory, such as a scarf or choker. Personally I don't like the neck fixes, as they net you more clipping edges than the single seam between the head and body itself, especially when you're moving.

Oh I know it will always be there; I was just attempting to minimize it a bit more.  He's got the neck fix on, but regardless of the Windlight setting used, the line of demarcation between head and neck is still far more obvious than my neck seam (which is Genus to Maitreya Lara).

I did explain to him that the best we can do is minimize the appearance on our own monitors, and not worry about the fact that what others see may be way different :)

Edited by Ajay McDowwll

42 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Seam? The screenshot looks as if the whole head was entirely different colour ... or rather: as if it was covered in a semi-transparent colour layer. 

Did you check if any other (tinted) layers might mess up?

I tried to see if there was something else messing it up, but I'm a bit at a loss on the Catwa heads HUD.  I have Genus, so I'm unsure what I'm doing with Catwa even with having read Skell's tutorials.  I'll stare at it some more.  That's how it seems to me, also.

15 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I tried to see if there was something else messing it up, but I'm a bit at a loss on the Catwa heads HUD.  I have Genus, so I'm unsure what I'm doing with Catwa even with having read Skell's tutorials.  I'll stare at it some more.  That's how it seems to me, also.

It can also be gloss turned on. I am not sure if Catwa comes with a bit of gloss in the out-of-box-head.

If you have adjusted things in the Catwa HUD, try "reset to factory default" and apply the skin again. And turn off neck fix in both head and body if you see a different colored "ring" around the neck. That often helps.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I tried to see if there was something else messing it up, but I'm a bit at a loss on the Catwa heads HUD. 

unpack the head again and start with a fresh copy, because what you show simply can't be "just"the windlight i think, as Lillith already said.. this differens is huge.
With the right windlight settings use of the seam cover is often giving worse result than without.

i mostly use one of Nam's optimal skin and prim or other shadowless setting.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Hey all :)  I've been helping my husband get his Catwa head a shape he'd like and we've succeeded.  Yay!  The only problem I'm finding is in minimizing the neck seam appearance.  He has matching head/ body appliers from Adam &Eve, and we've tweaked the snot out of Windlight settings to no avail.

Is there something else we're not thinking of?  I'm attaching his picture for reference.

Syn Neck Seam.png

This is a MASSIVE difference, that's not just a matter of lighting. It looks to me like either;

- The head has a darker tint on the skin layer; check the colour tint tab on the Catwa hud

- Either the head or the body has Gloss on but the other doesn't; check the gloss sliders on both huds

- He has purchased different tones of the skin head and body by accident; double-check the names of the appliers

- He has accidentally clicked either the head or body hud to go back to a default skin; re-apply the skin appliers

If none of these help, then as suggested, get a fresh copy of both the head and body and start again.

If it STILL doesn't help, try getting a demo of a different skin from another store, and trying that on instead. That can rule out whether there is a problem with the Adam & Eve skin; they may have packed the wrong tone in one of their boxes.

If skins from other places look bad as well, I guess he will just have to live with it and hope that other people see him differently.

ETA another thought - Did he buy the Adam & Eve skin from their actual store? Or did he find a cheap one on the Marketplace that was just called Adam & Eve? If the latter, he's been scammed.

ETA yet another thought - the Signature pack includes two versions of the body, one normal and one Bakes on Mesh. Check that he's not wearing the Bakes on Mesh body; if he does that, it won't accept the applier but it will just show whatever classic skin he's wearing underneath.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1

Okay, we found the difference.  FINALLY.  And I want to beat my head on the keyboard for thinking this was a bigger deal than it was (and bugging you guys with it).

He'd used the applier for the skin (definitely from the A&E physical store), but after he put it on... he clicked one of the skintones in his Signature HUD, and apparently that overwrote it.

Sigh.

Regardless, problem solved.  Also, the neck sheath in the Signature HUD fixed it the rest of the way.  I had to Google quite a bit to learn that the button just labeled "sheath" was actually the neck sheath/ fix on the HUD.

So anyway, yeah.  I'll just paste "MESH NOOB" to my forehead and wander back to my corner, LOL

Thank you all for your time.  I know it was really a basic error, but your assistance gave me ideas on what to Google and where on the HUDs to search; ultimately that, and clicking around insanely, got us there.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.