Tip jars in stores

MelodyClone1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are (or were?) a few shops I frequented back then several years ago which offered their products for free, but also had tip jars near their vendors with a titler, reading "Pay what you think it's worth".

I always donated a few 100L$ whenever I "bought" something there, because these products were truly worth it.

• Like 3

I do not have a tip jar at my store, but I have one on my sim.. it is rare to get a tip. but I don't care, my sim is there for everyone to enjoy... I honestly do not use my sim to recoup the 200.00 a month I spend on it. lol  I have little traffic to my sim because I do not even think my sim shows up in search results under all the advertised destinations that no longer exist...

I will join a group and pay a bit for a group for freebies. I found the quality of the items tend to be better quality than random "freebies"

• Like 3

But, to answer the OP, the tip jars or donation jars are there as an either or regarding the freebies usually.   Some people may not want to buy anything but they liked the freebies...so the tip jars are available but it by no means you have to tip because you may not even like the freebies or you may just be low on lindens.  

In my case, most of my items are geared towards women too at my clubs...I am working on some things for males but the work is not done yet and it's still a toss up as to whether I can even accomplish the items...they just aren't good enough yet.  I do, however, have a few unisex items (but very, very little).  And, also some people prefer to travel light...they just don't want any of the freebies nor have need for them. 

So, it's best to offer a choice.  

My free items at my stores are just free artwork "thank yous" and do not entail a lot of work on my part...so I don't feel I need to leave a tip jar.

However, I always let people know my free items are for anyone...no purchase is required.  It's free for all if they'd like one of whatever.      

For me when visiting stores:  It's almost a 99.9% guarantee I will buy something.  I went there because I like the creator, so I mostly buy and sometimes several items.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Golly. After reading this thread I think I'm coming to the conclusion that in SL I'm a cheapskate! :)

In RL I'm an excellent tipper (if the service is good). In SL I tip at music places generously when I can. I refuse to go to clubs that scream about Linden Love$, but if I end up at a new place that does that then immediately I decide "no tips." But stores? I'm not sure I've seen the tip jars (or I just selectively don't see them). I don't shop at freebie places, so that doesn't come into play. If the store is on a beautifully maintained sim and I'm enjoying that, I have been known to tip. I understand what the OP is saying, and don't think she's wrong but it is one of those "no right answer" sort of opinions. I also really don't care if people do or don't, and it would not affect me in shopping in such a place. There's other things to be irritated about in SL, for me this isn't one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

One of my favourite texture creators only put a tip jar out because a group of loyal customers demanded it. She's in the "I'd rather you bought something" camp. For whatever reasons they had, these customers wanted to give.

This is why I ended up with tip jars... people wanted to tip me and it's easier to have a jar than to go through my profile and pay money. I figured that if someone didn't like using tip jars and would rather buy something, they could ignore the tip jar and buy something.

There's not anything deeper than that really. No lack of confidence, or being a scammer, or anything else. Just people having different preferences for how they pay for stuff/experiences.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, MelodyClone1 said:

Why do these even exist? Or a better question is why do people donate? Don't get me wrong, there are lots of creators I support. But isn't the definition of tipping to provide you an actual, personal, catered service, or to award services that exceed expectations? What service are they providing you buy selling a virtual copy of something which costs them $0 since it's just 0's and 1's in a server? If people want to support the creator... uh why not just buy stuff in the store?? I don't get the logic behind donating 100L, vs just buying something for 100L cause I assume you love the store's items to even bother donating to start with... Would people donate to Apple for letting them download a copy of iTunes..? No offense but if you put a tip jar in a store stocked with a solid collection of items, that just shows how little confidence you have in your items in making enough to cover overhead costs.

Maybe they are customers who DO buy their stuff but also want to tip extra? Maybe they picked up a free group gift and donated because they felt it worth a fee?

Donating for free items happens online all the time. Adblock is a free browser plugin that accepts paypal donations. They charge what we feel its worth to us. And yes I have donated as a thank you for things I use.

• Like 2

I'll tip shops that provide a gift I enjoyed receivng.  I'll tip musicians. I get uncomfortable when hounded in local to tip at venues.  It should be enough a jar is out without a host putting the crowd through the 10th degree.  My husband is the tipper in real life and I think he's actually a pretty heavy tipper- conditioned after my son's toddler antics while out in public restaurants.  😆

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.