Partner cannot stay logged on

KarraSue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the past several days  my partner cannot stay logged on. When she tries to, she is logged out after only 3 or 4 minutes.  This started occurring for her over this past  weekend.   What should she try to resolve this? She has the latest version of Firestorm viewer

Edited by KarraSue

11 hours ago, KarraSue said:

For the past several days  my partner cannot stay logged on. When she tries to, she is logged out after only 3 or 4 minutes.  This started occurring for her over this past  weekend.   What should she try to resolve this? She has the latest version of Firestorm viewer

Without knowing any details of what message your friend gets or any other details about her set up,  tell her to try this  http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Does your partner also get disconnected after a few minutes when logging in on an alt account?
If the disconnect happens on one of their accounts only, it is likely to be an inventory problem & they should contact Linden Lab support to see if their inventory is corrupted or needs deflattened. LL support can easily fix this.
https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131009-contact-support

She just has the one account  She gave me this info

Second Life Regions-Operational

Websites-Operational

Second Life Services-Operational

Inworld services-Operational

External support-Operational.

She also did a speed test and her results were:

Ping: 1ms

Download:128.31 mbps

Upload: 15.16 mbps.

Everything was working fine up until this past weekend, when SL server was having problems.

She filed a support ticket with LL. I am wondering if it could be a bug in the latest Firestorm?

Edited by KarraSue

@KarraSue:

1) That ping is not to SL (unless she actually lives in Tucson), she needs to use the FS speedtest server location: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_speedtest

2) I have not noticed any bugs relating to login issues with the recent Firestorm, though nothing's impossible.

Your partner's issue sounds very much ISP related, but Whirly made some very valid observations which she would be advised to follow up via LL support if the speedtest result looks normal.

Edited by Aishagain
additional text

@KarraSue

1) Having your internet working and having it working well enough to do routine tasks and even access the LL website are not the same as having a connection working well enough to stay online in SL  That has been shown far too many time for me to count.  It's not enough for the data pipeline to be connected, it has to be flowing fast enough!

2) If your partner is in Maine, the speedtest is still in no way adequate.  She must test to the Tucson datahub.as listed on the FS wiki.

3) Drake's suggestion that she try, just for completeness' sake, the LL default/official viewer is important.  Support will almost certainly ask her if she has and if not will tell her to go away and try it, before they will act.

The reasoning is sound.  LL techs know their own viewer and its foibles better than any other client(viewer).

Edited by Aishagain
additional info

On 11/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, KyaraSalvatore said:

I'm having the same issue, but I've never had problems with the internet getting into second life before!

LL support told me to restart my modem, router and everything connected to the internet, and my computer, and yet the problem continues!

The reason we harp on CONNECTION is this type of problem is almost always a connection issue.

Never having had a problem means nothing. The entire Internet is changing by the millisecond. The large ISPs shift traffic to balance load by the second and are changing out and updating equipement every day. Techs are connecting new accounts and disconnecting others affecting local neighborhood connections. Traffic and construction accidents take out a route and push traffic to different hardware. A rat chews a cable...

Once you restart your computer and router you have taken care of the connection within your house. Next to test is the ISP's connection from your house to their data hub. Then from backbone your ISP is using through the backbones to the one the Lab is using. Then into the Linden part of the network. All these parts are owned by different people and any part may be having a problem.

Until the lab gets about a billion calls per minute they seriously doubt it is their system... Most of the time the problem is out THERE, not in the Linden house. But, until a large number of people have the same problem at the same time, we are going to give you the proven most common advice that fixes the problem, 'look at your connection'. You are, of course, free to ignore our advice. In which case we sit back and watch you whin. Eventually the ISP or backbone provider will find and fix the problem... but if it is in your particular leg of their system that may take a really long time for them to notice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.