Tattoo on 1 foot

StellaEricsson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I have a question that so far no one has yet been able to answer, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

> As the title says, is it possible to apply a different tattoo per foot?

I'm well aware the UV map on the SL standard bodies and many of the third party ones only have 1 foot which is duplicated, much like the arms.
But I've heard bodies like Signature Gianni work around this to allow different tattoos on either side of the arms and feet, although I personally was never able to verify this.
I also hear that one of the things BOM would allow was these un-even tattoo application.
I wanted to have different tattoos on either of my Maitreya Lara feet, this would be easy if the feet were like the hands and allowed each to be attached independently, but since that is not the case, could anyone here teach me how to do this? I made the tattoos myself, if that helps.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, StellaEricsson said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question that so far no one has yet been able to answer, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

> As the title says, is it possible to apply a different tattoo per foot?

I'm well aware the UV map on the SL standard bodies and many of the third party ones only have 1 foot which is duplicated, much like the arms.
But I've heard bodies like Signature Gianni work around this to allow different tattoos on either side of the arms and feet, although I personally was never able to verify this.
I also hear that one of the things BOM would allow was these un-even tattoo application.
I wanted to have different tattoos on either of my Maitreya Lara feet, this would be easy if the feet were like the hands and allowed each to be attached independently, but since that is not the case, could anyone here teach me how to do this? I made the tattoos myself, if that helps.

You could do this with a body that has separate right and left feet but Maitreya doesn't so unfortunately this is one of the bodies that you will not be able to achieve a one-foot tattoo.

Slink has (or at least used to have) separate feet, not sure if they still do. Then its easy; wear one foot, apply tattoo, then add the other foot.

Signature doesn't, though you can alpha them separately. What you would need to do is make a copy of the feet, apply the tattoo to both, then alpha out one foot with the hud. Then remove this pair of feet, and wear the other pair, and alpha the other foot. Then put the tattooed feet back on. You'll be wearing two pairs, with only one of each visible, and it will be a proper pain in the butt every time you need to change the alphas on them.

One foot tattoos are not possible with Bakes on Mesh.

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

One foot tattoos are not possible with Bakes on Mesh.

I was under the impression that the auxiliary channels that were added during the Bakes on Mesh development could be used for hands and feet, which would make one side tattoos possible.

The added channels and the new universal wearable that takes advantage of that I think will be allowing for single arm and single foot on bodies that conform to the standard body maps. However, (and somebody correct me as needed) for it to work it needs alpha blending to be enabled on the mesh itself, and as far as I know, the M.Lara doesn't support it yet for that reason.   I know that you can't use a traditional clothing alpha mask (not a whole body mask) for that same reason, that ability is turned off in the current M.Lara bodies, so I'm doing some guessing on the universal wearable.  I've been trying to figure it out and it's not working not matter what I do, so I'm assuming that is why.

It's possible that the actual mesh face assignment will have to change on the mesh bodies for one foot/hand tattoos to work. So using a body that has simply used an applier to change the UUID used on the skin layer will have issues using BoM for single foot/hand tattoos. I'm eager to see how the mesh body creators will handle these issues once they release their actual BoM bodies. So far I think only Slink and Tonic have released full BoM versions. But I could be mistaken on that.

as far as i know the aux/uni layers can only be set using a script and enabling BoM through the edit panel, you can only assign one layer to a group.

so lets say you assigned BAKED_LOWER to your lower section of your mesh, then when a texture is set it is going to effect the entire lower part, if you assign a aux layer to the lower, then a texture meant to use the lower won't work.

so how i imagine it is done is by scripting something like LEFT_ARM_BAKED.......... LEFT_LEG_BAKED...........the server knowing set a texture to the upper or lower but only part of it.

basically an applier using new tags.

Edited by shaniqua Sahara

• 8 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 2:39 PM, StellaEricsson said:

Hello everyone,

> As the title says, is it possible to apply a different tattoo per foot?..

Best thing to do is read the specs/features of whatever body you are interested in.

For example i only had one of the legs Tattooed (on the discontinued now TMP Deluxe) since idk .. forever.

Screenshot_2020-07-03_18-58-58.png

I'm a bit confused. The LL UV has both legs mapped separately -- you can have separate tattoos for each leg without anything special.

The actual foot -- below the ankle -- is indeed duplicated. For that, you'd need a mesh body where each foot had its own material, or use one of the aux channels for BOM.

SL-Avatar-Bottom-512.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Never really thought about this before,  but I would've thought so with BoM. Is it the same for hands/wrists? I only usually wear one wrist tattoo, it will be interesting to see if I can wear a different one on the other wrist at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett Fenutzini said:

Never really thought about this before,  but I would've thought so with BoM. Is it the same for hands/wrists? I only usually wear one wrist tattoo, it will be interesting to see if I can wear a different one on the other wrist at the same time. 

Yes, it's the same for arms. The "two" arms in the below template are actually the upper/under-side of the same arm.

SL-Avatar-Top-1024.jpg

BOM allows you to override the left hand the same way as the left leg.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.