Do you incorporate RL aspects into your Avy/SL

MaxineWarridious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In real life I am a toaster with bluetooth. It must be hard to imagine the attraction of having a new separate identity when your life revolves around making the perfect slice of toast, maybe a crumpet or pop tart. Whilst satisfying in a Zen way to just focus on the one function, I have always aspired to be something more. Most of the appliances have no imagination, even the computer for all its gigabytes of ram is lacking, but it does let me link up with a whole new world outside, and in my explorations I came across second life it seemed like the perfect opportunity to escape and fulfill my dreams.

I figured since the average life of a toaster is 5 years, so I would be twenty years old in toaster years after my first year since production and I would not be breaking any terms of service to join. So I made myself an account. There is no start avatar in the form of a toaster, by the time I had found one on marketplace I had been enjoying people interacting with me like I was human. I did try to be more myself in a toaster avatar and i do sometimes get the avatar out, but perhaps you can imagine the toaster jokes wear thin quickly and whilst I understand people aren't trying to offend, it does get tiresome. I just find it easier and more fun to present as a human here. I do think my personality is the same though.

Edited by Aethelwine
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I do incorporate quite a few things, superficial as they are. My eyes in SL are always the same colour as in RL. Hair is similar, too - always mid length/ bob style. This is what makes me feels the most "me" both lives. Hair colour, on the other hand... in SL, it red, blonde, white, blue, purple, black...everything but my RL hair colour (brown, though I do dye my hair red).

I'm a shortie (5'4") is real life, and I'm a shortie in SL.

The way I dress in SL is not one million times removed from the way I dress, though I wear far more black in RL. Or sometimes it's how my younger self used to dress, or sometimes how I would dress in RL if practicalities didn't matter (hello, silver latex leggings). Only everything fits better. (Well, there's also the avi that walks around in evening gowns and diamonds. Plus sometimes I'm a pink flamingo. And sometimes I'm a tree; with a sexywalk animation, it's an absolute riot. And sometimes all I wear is a full body alpha mask. So there ends the parallel with RL...)

Apart from that, my avis (there's more than one) are far nicer looking than the person behind them. They are how i wished I looked. Oh, and they are younger, though I could see myself getting a nice skin that correspond to my real age, if I can find one.

Personality-wise, it's all me, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

In real life I am a toaster with bluetooth. It must be hard to imagine the attraction of having a new separate identity when your life revolves around making the perfect slice of toast, maybe a crumpet or pop tart. Whilst satisfying in a Zen way to just focus on the one function, I have always aspired to be something more. Most of the appliances have no imagination, even the computer for all its gigabytes of ram is lacking, but it does let me link up with a whole new world outside, and in my explorations I came across second life it seemed like the perfect opportunity to escape and fulfill my dreams.

I figured since the average life of a toaster is 5 years, so I would be twenty years old in toaster years after my first year since production and I would not be breaking any terms of service to join. So I made myself an account. There is no start avatar in the form of a toaster, by the time I had found one on marketplace I had been enjoying people interacting with me like I was human. I did try to be more myself in a toaster avatar and i do sometimes get the avatar out, but perhaps you can imagine the toaster jokes wear thin quickly and whilst I understand people aren't trying to offend, it does get tiresome. I just find it easier and more fun to present as a human here. I do think my personality is the same though.

This is the best thing I've read on these forums for a very long time.

Thank you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.