Jump to content
MaxineWarridious

Do you incorporate RL aspects into your Avy/SL

Recommended Posts

For some reason, I thought I'd responded to this thread but apparently not.

My base look for my avatar has a lot of features that are reflective of my real self. Caucasian, quite short, mid-length blonde hair ombre sort of look, large boobs. hazel eyed as I am in SL. Don't wear much makeup - nor does Elora as of late, my appliers are "as is" out of the box usually.  However, I'm a lot older - she is a glorified version of of me when I was in my late 20's/early 30's - mostly in body shape. I'm on the low end of plus size petite or, zoftig as my people say.

Personality wise we are equal. I don't role play. Tried in the past when I first joined. I'm able to but really don't enjoy it so you get the real me completely when you are talking to me.

As for what I wear - that is the big difference. In RL I have no inclination to dress anywhere near the way I do in SL.  I'm a jeans, basic top and Birkenstock shoes kind of girl for both work and home (I'm lucky I don't have to dress up for the office). Black is my go to color of choice top to bottom most of the time. Some boho pieces but most are streamlined, classic and easy to mix/match. I love fashion from an artistic, historic and social point of view, and can throw together a great outfit for Elora but for myself have little desire to dress up. Same with hair, makeup, shoes and accessories.

 I'm happy enough to let SL give me a way to experiment without having to commit to having a closet full of clothing I'll never cut the tags off of in RL 😋

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

For some reason, I thought I'd responded to this thread but apparently not.

My base look for my avatar has a lot of features that are reflective of my real self. Caucasian, quite short, mid-length blonde hair ombre sort of look, large boobs. hazel eyed as I am in SL. Don't wear much makeup - nor does Elora as of late, my appliers are "as is" out of the box usually.  However, I'm a lot older - she is a glorified version of of me when I was in my late 20's/early 30's - mostly in body shape. I'm on the low end of plus size petite or, zoftig as my people say.

Personality wise we are equal. I don't role play. Tried in the past when I first joined. I'm able to but really don't enjoy it so you get the real me completely when you are talking to me.

As for what I wear - that is the big difference. In RL I have no inclination to dress anywhere near the way I do in SL.  I'm a jeans, basic top and Birkenstock shoes kind of girl for both work and home (I'm lucky I don't have to dress up for the office). Black is my go to color of choice top to bottom most of the time. Some boho pieces but most are streamlined, classic and easy to mix/match. I love fashion from an artistic, historic and social point of view, and can throw together a great outfit for Elora but for myself have little desire to dress up. Same with hair, makeup, shoes and accessories.

 I'm happy enough to let SL give me a way to experiment without having to commit to having a closet full of clothing I'll never cut the tags off of in RL 😋

 

^^^Yep. Black or dark blue Jean's with black trainers (sneakers) is me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I alone in being short in RL and really tall in SL? I've always wanted to be tall and I just love it. I also have blue eyes in RL and brown in SL, cause I happen to love a pair of brown eyes my friend made years ago and now they are part of who I am in SL. Have to confess my boobs are bigger in SL too. Since my avatar is tall she is also not as thin as I am in RL. With that height you can get away with a little bit of tummy . I'm pretty pleased with myself in both worlds anyway (at least when I wear heels in RL) :).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wilma Philbin said:

Am I alone in being short in RL and really tall in SL? I've always wanted to be tall and I just love it.

I chose to make myself tall in SL too because i could, If i tried to make myself my midget sized RL height i'd probably get mistaken for a child av a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s an interesting question and I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s responses. Obviously everyone is different, playing SL for different reasons, and of course I think you can draw as much or as little of your RL self into your SL as you wish. There shouldn’t be any limit on this (anyone who criticises an SL resident for misrepresenting themselves in-world has totally missed the point of SL as far as I’m concerned!!!).

Physically In RL I am quite pale, petite and skinny with blonde hair and blue eyes. All these traits I either don’t mind or actually like about myself so I’ve noticed that this carries over into my SL appearance. Even when I try out new things, I always seem to gravitate back to my skin tone, size, hair and eye colour.

What’s different? I enjoy making myself more curvaceous in SL, the curves I don’t have but wish I did in RL. Equally my hair in SL is way longer and more voluminous, the way I wish my hair would be in RL too. I also dress more flamboyantly because I can do so confidently without fear of judgement or reproach.

Personality-wise is where I have a stronger opinion. As much as you may try to adopt a different personality in SL I genuinely don’t believe this is something you can seriously maintain for any length of time, before your real personality slips in!

What’s interesting for me is that I’m sure many people feel more free to express themselves in SL than in RL. So certain personality traits are amplified and allowed to blossom, and this is actually your true personality being given an opportunity to shine rather than being repressed as it might be in RL. This is one of the amazing things about SL! You could almost be considered a truer reflection of your real self in this virtual world than you are in day to day life!

Having said that, I’d be very keen to explore more RP in SL, as I love to act and play different characters! But if you meet me in-world and we chat, there’s no way you’re getting anything other than the real me, for better or worse! 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wilma Philbin said:

Am I alone in being short in RL and really tall in SL? 

Not alone; me too. I'm 5'6" in RL and very deliberately 7'1" in SL. But in SL I'm an elf, of the Tolkien/Noldor sort; I'm supposed to be tall. And it kinda bugs me that my SL bf is taller than me, but I can't really go taller in a Maitreya body without looking like a bit of knotted string.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MayaSmit said:

Equally my hair in SL is way longer and more voluminous, the way I wish my hair would be in RL too.

Oh, this too, for me. I used to have long hair in RL, up until I was about 30, and I've always thought that men with long hair are hawt. Unfortunately, genes for male pattern baldness run in my family and I got them all.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, Clover Jinx said:

Nope, in RL I'm a shorthair tortie but in SL I'm an all white persian. =~.^=

Torties are my favorite ♥️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am short irl. I have a few tall avvies but the ones I use the most are about as short as I am. 🐥 Though being this short makes me notice even more of how many things in second life are made for giants. It's common to be door knob height in some of the places. 😂

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always based my avatar on my RL self for some reason. It is why it took me so long to move to a mesh avatar head. I couldn't find something that felt like "me" until recently. In an environment where your avatar can be anything, I'm not sure why I don't branch out more, but I am happy with my avatar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...