Do you incorporate RL aspects into your Avy/SL

MaxineWarridious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so I did a really brief search and I'm new to the forums so I apologize in advance if this is not suited for this section, or if there is an older thread similar to this

Genuinely curious how other people enjoy playing here, and whether most people like to completely invent someone new or have things that influence who they choose to be.

So, do you incorporate any aspects of your real life into your avatar or into your SL existence? If not what has inspired you?

Sometimes I see people with injuries or interesting markings, glasses etc and I'm so curious!

please share!

for me it depends.

I almost felt like I was a traitor for being over 5'3 in SL.. but the size compared to other avatars bugged me. I guess a lot of aspects of my avatar aren't too far off from real me either. I'm starting to play around with other hair and styles. Sometimes I look at my dog and think it would be fun to be her but I don't think I could be a dog :p

IRL I'm a singer, a voice actress, and a stand up comedian. I thought it might be fun to try out in world. I spend most of my time in SL exploring, or designing land.. so being social like that might be a bit much for me as my time in world is really a meditative time for me to relax. Even though what I do IRL sounds fun and exciting, I'm actually really introverted and shy..which people close to me always argue but it's true. I'm actually more shy in world than I am IRL. Is that weird? Voice to me is such a personal thing. Maybe I'm just being a sensitive artist lol.

I grew up on the beach so I always have land on island sims.

RL me regrets some of her tattoos so SL me doesn't have any.. my mom would be so proud! 

• Like 7

Hey Maxine,

In very VERY broad strokes, I tend to lean toward my body type in RL.  Not because I want to aim for that, but because it is a look I am familiar with and know. So proportions are very generally like my SL, but I like to play with different .. mmm.. everything else! hahaha.  Different skin & eye color, hair styles, style.  It's so much fun!

As for height, it is really just an avatar and the number they give for the height is irrelevant to proportion, in my option.  That is, they call it 6'2" but it's a tiny avatar on the screen... they could have called it 10'5" or 4'8" and we wouldn't know any better.  So I aim for proportion rather than numbers then try to fit in with whatever group I am in the midst of.

Despite leaning toward my RL body type, I do love that in SL we are free to be anything. We already ARE what we are in RL. We know it, we live it.  If I want to be like in RL, I can just go in RL. Perhaps some people have issue with that as they find it disingenuous or a type of lie or misrepresentation, perhaps,  but I don't. There is no expectation when we sign on to SL that one should represent themselves as they are in RL  - quite the opposite even!

• Like 4

I don't separate SL/RL at all. SL is an extension of me. Looks-wise I create whatever looks/feels pretty to me and I change my looks super often too. They don't resemble RL me.

However certain features are always there (long nails, long hair, corsets etc.).

If I RP somewhere, I RP as myself within that specific universe. I think I'm a bit of a narcissist, lol but I am absolutely always myself and all of my DMs apply as OOC unless stated otherwise.

I feel that there's too many people wearing masks upon masks upon masks, which is not a bad thing, obviously, but I'd rather be me, 100% as I am irl. Those that met me in person can confirm that :3

*mew*

• Like 2

My avatar represents how I see myself rather than my actual physical body. It matches the mental self-image, so to speak. I identify more with it than I do my real body - well, except the fur and tail and such - but that's how dysmorphic things go! It's excellent therapy. 🤔

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MaxineWarridious said:

Okay so I did a really brief search and I'm new to the forums so I apologize in advance if this is not suited for this section, or if there is an older thread similar to this

What a fun question!  This is the perfect place for it so you're fine.

My avatar has evolved over the years but the one thing that has stayed the same as RL is my height.  My shape is me at 25 but assuming I was taking care of myself at that time.    I also took a lot of liberties in the details.  I do not have red hair, for example.  Or green eyes.  Or perfect skin ...

Some of the women I found inspiration from were Jane Russell (for my initial version of Rhonda), Halle Berry, Audrey Hepburn, Gina "Crush" Carano and even Jessica Rabbit :)

Like I said, my avatar has evolved a few times over the years.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MaxineWarridious said:

So, do you incorporate any aspects of your real life into your avatar or into your SL existence?

Yes.

EDIT TO ADD: OKAY, already, I'll add this: Among many other things...

• Height. Full stop. If you don't like it then politely say so and I'll happily leave your presence.
  • RL Ethnicity, but sometimes an alternate ethnicity, all are because so beautiful.
  • Fashion style choices. (I generally wear in SL public only what I would actually wear in RL public!)
  • Basic general shape (body and face - because it's just easier as I have a RL model to reference.)

The rest is all experimental. What else is there?

👍

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Yes. When i first started in SL i wanted to look like RL that went out the window when i was first introduced to prim flexi hair and seeing everyone was way taller than me. So i made myself just as tall made a shape i was happy with based on RL, with the odd tweak here and there. since getting a mesh body i have evolved myself to be less tall (still way taller than RL) and upped the fat sliders to reflect my current RL size. other than shape i have kept my skin and eye colour inline with RL along with many things i wear. clearly my hair is not a natural real colour i got a style that came in a shade called rose as soon as i tried it i thought that's my shade and have always gone with brands that do a similar colour

• Like 1

A bit, here and there. My avi is relatively short, as in RL I am fairly short. She's always passive and freckled; I am both, and it just feels right. Glasses, sometimes, but usually no, as it's nice not to have to wear them in at least one world! Eyes no, hair...I'm a ginger at heart! Although I did recently switch to something closer to my RL color, at least for now. I suppose my avi is more an "ideal" version of myself, in some ways, but if you put us side by side I doubt there'd be so much as a family resemblance 

I find that RL inspires my clothing, more than anything. I tend to dress according to the weather in my area; finding fun,  fashionable outfits that match the weather outside my window is fun! Not that I would necessarily wear those things in RL.

• Like 2

First is my height. I am rather short in RL so my avatar is also on the short side. Not the exact same height, but about the same amount below average.

Since getting a mesh body I am more muscular in SL than RL; that's kind of hard to avoid. Slim, I am not, in either world. But a dad-bod in SL now is hard mode.

Facial hair. I always, always have at least heavy stubble in both RL and SL. Usually more.

The ginger hair is purely wishful thinking. In RL I am a ginger guy trapped in a brown-haired guy's body.

I am trans-ginger! 😁

• Like 2

Good question.

Height is an odd thing here. In some company I'm amazonian @Alyona Su !!, in other company I'm just tall @Angelina String. Elsewhere I'm short. In RL I'm around 5'7"

The rest of me is me. Skinny, blonde, freckles, olive skin, green/grey eyes, no tats. But my Avi is the perfect me....... obviously I'm not perfect.....

And my Avi is the glam me, and maybe how I might dress in a perfect safe world, rather than my usual black Jean's and trainers standard in RL.

But I play with my alts, to get that fantasy experience, still governed by my moral compass and ethics though.

• Like 5

Yes, some aspects are the same. In RL and SL I am a thin, Caucasian female. In RL I am 5’5” and in SL I am pushing 6’, so that’s quite different. In RL I never wear heels unless going to a wedding or party, and it’s the same in SL. I just feel more like “me” in flats. I dress similarly in both worlds. Now I feel boring! I need to go find a dragon avi or something.

• Like 4

A couple of things.

My "default" outfit of jeans, white shirt, black leather waistcoat and red chucks comes from an outfit I used to wear often in RL, until the waistcoat didn't fit me any more (funny, I didn't think leather could shrink like that!!).

The other thing is my missing arm.

The rest changes regularly.

Also I am in no way non-binary, androgynous or femme in RL.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 4

I used to set my height the same as RL, but I stopped, I do not even know how tall my avi is, but it is still shorter than average, but not as much shorter than it used to be. I also occasionally wear glasses in both RL and SL. Not much else is the same. 

• Like 1

The same as already mentioned: height, more or less body type, hair color, glasses, and generally I wear clothes I really like and I would wear iRL. What's different is that iSL I wear much more makeup but still I think it is not that much. Oh, and I change tattoos often, so bad I can't do it iRL. 

Additionally I prefer realistic things, furniture, houses which I would also select iRL if I could. I like fantasy themed sims but I wouldn't live there.

When it comes to my personality and behavior, it is me behind this avatar and neither I developed any specific personality for any of my avatars, nor I managed to roleplay. So basically it is me, my emotions, feelings etc.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.