Last Names

CharleneKenya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know people have been talking about this all last year. And I have looked to see if there have been any updates since last names were supposedly coming out at the end of 2018, but have not found any new information. Does anyone know if they have put out any new information about getting last names back or have they decided to not put them back in the game after all?

10 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the last we heard from Linden about last names was from Oz Linden at the SL16 birthday.  Basically Linden are still working on it

a writeup of what Oz Linden said is here on Inara's blog:  https://modemworld.me/2019/06/26/the-return-of-last-names-a-further-update-with-audio/

ty for the answer. I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

I've been patiently waiting on the return of last names. I've been excited about not only finally getting a last name but also  just getting to change my name on the whole. Actually never thought it would've been this difficult, something crossed my mind. Hopefully they allow people to change their names even if they do not want the first and last name, maybe just get a new user name. 

4 hours ago, FashionEye said:

Hopefully they allow people to change their names even if they do not want the first and last name, maybe just get a new user name. 

according to Oz Linden, yes we will be able to choose a whole different name as well

On 8/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, FashionEye said:

I've been patiently waiting on the return of last names. I've been excited about not only finally getting a last name but also  just getting to change my name on the whole. Actually never thought it would've been this difficult, something crossed my mind. Hopefully they allow people to change their names even if they do not want the first and last name, maybe just get a new user name. 

You and the Lindens. 

Having last names was thought to be easy. After all we had them once and sort of have them now (think Resident). It is the CHANGE that is apparently proving way more difficult than expected. The ability to change names is proving far more complex because of all the aspects that depend on Avatar name rather than avatar UUID.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, FashionEye said:

On 8/17/2019 at 6:42 PM, Mollymews said:

according to Oz Linden, yes we will be able to choose a whole different name as well

When you change names you MUST pick a name from a drop down list and then pick some sort of first name that results in the entire name being unique.  You will not be able to select JUST a first name without a last name - or with a last name of Resident.  That, per all of the various Linden comments on the process they've designed.

8 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The ability to change names is proving far more complex because of all the aspects that depend on Avatar name rather than avatar UUID.

This is the kind of rabbit hole that keeps devs up at night.

Everything, literally everything, throughout all the software LL use internally and public facing, will have to be gone over and checked for use of a static name. Miss anything and breakage can easily go unnoticed indefinitely. 

And to be clear, LL's internal software does need to use avatar names. It's never practical or desirable for humans to reference accounts by UUID directly.

So while I am itching for this feature, I'm more than a little sympathetic to the plight of those working on making it happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

So while I am itching for this feature, I'm more than a little sympathetic to the plight of those working on making it happen.

I suspect: understatement. I feel the same way and though I'm not under-the-hood techknowledgee (see what I did there? LOL) - I know this will be a long-term project, as in: have the patience, it's going to be a while. :D The funny-in-a-really-sad-way will be the tyrannically-shrill complaints that it's not what they (those using it for the first time) wanted and how "lackluster" or "featureless" it is.

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I suspect: understatement. I feel the same way and though I'm not under-the-hood techknowledgee (see what I did there? LOL) - I know this will be a long-term project, as in: have the patience, it's going to be a while. :D The funny-in-a-really-sad-way will be the tyrannically-shrill complaints that it's not what they (those using it for the first time) wanted and how "lackluster" or "featureless" it is.

No matter what LL comes up with, yeah.  People complained about the firstname/surname system when we had that.  People complained about the AnyUserName + Resident system.  People complained about Display Names.

It doesn't matter what LL does on this one, there is nothing that can possibly happen that'll satisfy everyone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It doesn't matter what LL does on this one, there is nothing that can possibly happen that'll satisfy everyone.

Agreed. Though you know the two BIGGIE!!!???

• WTF? [more than] $1? I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT? EPICKFAYL!!!! EVERYONE GONNA LEAVE SL!!!!
  • WTF? I have to PAY to be a PRMIUM?!!!! EPICKFAYL!!! EVERYONE GONNA LEAVE SL!!!!

We all know it's coming. LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.