If someone is using your group name on their land Is that in violation of Copyright

johnc Baxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, johnc Baxton said:

If someone is using your group name on their land Is that in violation of Copyright

Not unless you filled out a copyright claim (not cheap) and it was OKed which I am pretty sure you didn't :D.    I am not sure that you would have any "legal" complaint at all, but you might want to contact the people and let them know that you have a group by that name. They might not know and may be willing to change. 

9 hours ago, johnc Baxton said:

If someone is using your group name on their land Is that in violation of Copyright

Different spelling.. ** THE GLORY HOLE** vs ({}) ThE gLoRy HoLe ({})

Also, i thought groups, profiles and whatnot were supposed to be G? As in no nudity. Also also, if you really think that term is not a common phrase in the adult scene.... 

As with a lot of other perfectly good terms in the English language, "glory hole" has taken on an odd meaning in some circles. It's still a common term, centuries old, in the glassblowing industry.  This is a glory hole, where glass is reheated to keep it in a molten state while the artist is shaping it into a vessel, sculpture, or other object.

Image result for glassblowing glory hole images

• Like 2

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

As with a lot of other perfectly good terms in the English language, "glory hole" has taken on an odd meaning in some circles. It's still a common term, centuries old, in the glassblowing industry.  This is a glory hole, where glass is reheated to keep it in a molten state while the artist is shaping it into a vessel, sculpture, or other object.

Image result for glassblowing glory hole images

I think I first heard "glory hole" used to describe Fibber McGee's closet, or Dad's office. I heard your definition when seeing a demonstration by a local glass blower. Imagine my surprise to learn the modern definition.

Now I imagine some randy fella dropping his fly and rummaging around endlessly to dig the right tool out of one glory hole, only to stick it in another and have it melt.

A registered copyright is not required for a creator to own the rights to her work, although it makes enforcing those rights easier.

However, one cannot copyright a word, or even two words.  Securing rights to something like that requires a different registration, a trademark.  A trademark, unlike a copyright which is automatic on creation, requires registration to be protected.

One cannot register either a copyright or a trademark under one's Second Life username.  You'd have to register it with your Real Life name, and any enforcement proceedings would have to be under your real name.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Lindal is correct.

I could write a book about something and call it "Gone with the Wind". As long as it doesn't include the American Civil War and some gent not giving a damn, the estate of Margaret Mitchell would have a problem showing any copyright claim or breach. McDonalds has trademark protection (though they tend to be a very litigious company on any "Mc" included in any restaurant name, but that's another chat).

If you are concerned over the use of glory hole, rest assured, you didn't come up with that on your own. The etymology of the phrase dates to 1825;  "drawer or box where things are heaped together in a disorderly manner." ...to wit:

1825, "drawer or box where things are heaped together in a disorderly manner." The first element probably is a variant of Scottish glaur "to make muddy, dirty, defile" (Middle English glorien, mid-15c.), which is perhaps from Old Norse leir "mud." Hence, in nautical use, "a small room between decks," and, in mining, "large opening or pit." Meaning "opening through which the interior of a furnace may be seen and reached" (originally in glassblowing) is from 1849, probably from glory (n.), which had developed a sense of "circle or ring of light" by 1690s. Sexual (originally homosexual) sense from 1940s.

Bottom line is who used it first in your situation? Who cares. Work it out with the other party or rename your group.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.