here's an idea popped in my head for groups

MaxSilverDragon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

instead of charging people for more groups charge the groups that have a lot of people for more bandwidth other words put a cap on group size

even if you don't put a cap on group size you should have a premium group feature for groups where they can pay for more processing power so their groups could run more smoothly they run a large group so they can buy more server power for their group

28 minutes ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

a premium group feature for groups where they can pay for more processing power so their groups could run more smoothly they run a large group so they can buy more server power for their group

you mean, kick all basics members out of the group, or let premiums pay for it?.. you'r gonna make friends here :)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

what I mean is buying upgrades for your group so you can have a better server for your group

you were saying "premium group feature"  in SL context that means premium members can buy that, and basic members not
if you mean a group feature that can be bought by ayone it's not a premium thing :)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Confused 1

I don't think the OP is meaning Premium as in paying for SL, I think they are using the word as "better package" premium. It is not a bad idea, but it would be hard to implement, as not all large groups are commercial, so who would be the one paying, group owner that does not make money from said group but just made a group that people like and it got big. I think groups should be divided into categories for sure, as in commercial, non commercial, land use etc. If a group is being made for commercial reasons, many notices etc, then the saving of archives is a need and so on, so maybe the group to open is still the same but yearly may have a charge not crazy but maybe the same amount each year, that could also get rid of dead groups. 

Group that are for land only and part of land that is paid for already should not count against groups allotted if you need a land group to run your land you pay for, you should get at least one land group that does not count.

Non commercial social groups, same fee as always, they don't hurt people, if anything some of those groups are the groups people log in to be part of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

what I mean is buying upgrades for your group so you can have a better server for your group so you can offer a better group service

Sadly that's not how groups work and I doubt LL have the will to rebuild the entire system from the ground up (but they totally should).

2 hours ago, MaxSilverDragon said:

the groups would most likely buy these upgrades are large ones is right now a group over a thousand people leg so badly some people's messages don't go through they would buy server power so they have more priority on the servers so they run cleaner

It's not an issue of server power, there are a couple of fundamental design issues that really hammer things. The one that's being looked into at the moment involves online offline status messages which make up the bulk of group messaging traffic (big groups basically ddos themselves) .. if they remove those messages then group lag will significantly diminish (especially in huge groups) .. but we will loose the list of participants in a group chat session. 

Simply buying bigger servers wont do anything to address the issues that cause group chat to be such a pig.

• Like 1

1. As noted by Coffee, there's a lot going on behind the scenes that make your idea untenable
  2. If Linden Lab can manage to sort things regarding groups, your "ideas" will be moot
  3. There really is no reason to charge based on group membership/size and putting a cap on it (of any kind) is quite counter to their design in the first place
  4. This is the "Forums Feedback" section - not a general Second Life feature/tweak/feedback section. You're looking for the JIRA.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.