You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone. I recently got wind of the shiny 3D mouse to help with camera smoothing. I thought it would be a simple plug & play, but as I've been reading... there seems to be numerous work arounds for it to be compatible with SL/Firestorm viewers. 

I've read though(though at this point it's 3 years dated): http://blog.nalates.net/2016/09/07/spacenavigator-windows-10-and-second-life/

Discovered: http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/

and am still unsure if the steps in the blog will work for the updated drivers. Instead of "<Transport>KMJ</Transport>" & "<InheritsFrom>STR_[something]</InheritsFrom>", the XML file only has, "<InheritsFrom>STR_DEFAULT_KMJ</InheritsFrom>" so I'm wondering how I'm supposed to change this, if this indeed will get it working?

In lieu of using the blog's steps, do I download the alternate driver and remove the standard driver or is this primarily designed for Linux users?

Steps taken: Installed drivers, restarted, opened Firestorm, enabled Flycam and the Joystick, and checked to make sure the properties panel of the mouse recognizes Firestorm (it does). With Flycam disabled I'm able to zoom in and out, but no other direction (even though they're checked in the properties panel), however nothing happens when it is enabled.

I'm using Win7 64.

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu

• 2 weeks later...

The SL viewer has direct support for the Space Navigator and has since like version 1.23. You don't need the 3dx drivers at all if you aren't using it with any other software. The one thing that could be interfering is if you have any other input device that claims to be a joystick. I had to actually disable the driver for that on my g-13 keypad. I've been using mine for like 6 years with no issues at all and am currently also using Win 7 64bit. IM me inworld if you want. Just be warned, once you start using it to control your camera you'll never be able to stand the standard camera controls again.

• Thanks 1

haha, that's exactly what I want, Crim! Not to use the standard controls again! I actually reached out to 3D Connexion and they said they stopped offering support for Second Life since LL failed getting back to them in a timely manner. So I sent a ticket to LL and am still waiting for a reply. I do have a gaming keyboard... I don't think it's being read as a joystick though. How would I know if it is? I'll uninstall the drivers and see if it works like that

*edit: GASP! That worked! DDD: I'm /so/ happy!! It's better/funner  than I thought it would be!!! I'm flying around Hangars Liquides - one of the more amazing places to be experimenting with this thing. holy fk.

Teach me senpai lol Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or lock on to an avatar so I can spin the camera around them?

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, duLuna Bosatsu said:

*edit: GASP! That worked! DDD: I'm /so/ happy!! It's better/funner  than I thought it would be!!! I'm flying around Hangars Liquides - one of the more amazing places to be experimenting with this thing. holy fk.

Teach me senpai lol Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or lock on to an avatar so I can spin the camera around them?

You can adjust the sensitivity in the joystick settings, but they are actually set to reasonable levels once you get used to the controller. You are probably applying far more force than you need to. It takes a little practice and then you won't even be thinking about it, the camera will just go where you want it to. Once you get used to it, you should be able to circle pan around an AV or anything else smoothly. As far as I know there isn't a 'lock to AV' feature available.

• Like 1

one thing if you want to get smooth slow pans (assuming lag don't get you) is to seet the "feathering" super low., like .005 or so  and then lower the thrusts from the default 2 to something much lower. Of course if you want crazy fast cam movements then u just have to practice getting the feel of the mouse

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am having no joy whatsoever connecting my Space Mouse (wireless) to Second Life via either the SL viewer or the Firestorm viewer. I prefer to use Firestorm. The Properties panel recognises the SM and the SM works perfectly with other apps, like Blender ... but absolutely nothing with Second Life.  Except that a couple of times it worked for no apparent reason; and, also that if I switch on Avatar as well as build and flycam the whole world spins out of control. This is really frustrating and I've spending months trying to get the damn thing to work ... any help would be much appreciated.  All the best, Trimmer 

• 2 months later...

Hi all! I just got my 3d connexion space mouse and I am at a loss on how to make it work. All I did was disable the KMJ emulator, as that was what I saw from an online blog and didn't work. I sent a ticket to SL, hopefully I'll get an answer this week. I understand that this is an old post...but if anyone has a workaround, please share. I was so excited to get my space mouse as an early Christmas present and then I can't make it work...I'm not that tech savvy as well, but I can follow steps...I do try my best. I just wish there was a youtube video on this...well, there is but it was so old...anyway, I'm sure there is a workaround...

Hello all my fellow sl ppl,

I am using a 3dconnection space mouse wireless, but since I updated my Mac to Big Sur, it doesn't seem to work with Firestorm or the second life viewer anymore. I have used this combo for 11 years and it always worked. I have tried several forums but so far no luck. Nobody seems to know what is going on or why it isn't working. I hope somebody can help me out. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, Trimmer Navarita said:

I am having no joy whatsoever connecting my Space Mouse (wireless) to Second Life via either the SL viewer or the Firestorm viewer. I prefer to use Firestorm. The Properties panel recognises the SM and the SM works perfectly with other apps, like Blender ... but absolutely nothing with Second Life.  Except that a couple of times it worked for no apparent reason; and, also that if I switch on Avatar as well as build and flycam the whole world spins out of control. This is really frustrating and I've spending months trying to get the damn thing to work ... any help would be much appreciated.  All the best, Trimmer 

Did you do what Crim recommended? Mine stopped working due to some changes I made in the last few months with my setup, but I was able to get it working again by unplugging some devices that were overriding as the joystick instead of the 3Dx mouse. 

I have since upgraded to Win10 64 and these same steps have worked for me: Don't do the KMJ thing!! Uninstall any drivers for the mouse, restart, plug the mouse in, see if it lights up (I used a powered USB strip extension but there wasn't enough power to support all items so I had to unplug some). Go to SL, check joystick panel, enable Flycam (alt shift f- would be nice if that keycombo could be macro'd to one of the buttons), and (hopefully) enjoy! 

I can't say what the fix would be for a Mac or if the above doesn't work. As I mentioned, 3Dx said LL didn't get back to them about working out a fix for the mouse, so it's a hail mary until they fix their relationship with each other. Maybe if enough of the user base raised their voices for compatibility it would rouse some effort.

• Like 1

I tried it all and nothing worked so far. Nobody seems to know what is going on. It always worked with firestorm and Mac, never had a problem. Then it got updated to Big Sur, and it stopped communicating with firestorm. I tried all forums but nothing

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is happening for me as well. Was working great as usual - then yesterday just stopped mid-session. Going to Joystick Configuration showed SpaceNavigator as an option but wouldn't let me select. Relogging and trying again, now not showing as an option - shows up as "mouse". Same in Firestorm, SL viewer, and Singularity. Still works perfectly in my work software (cad and others). Tried everything I could think of. Any luck here? I posted a new thread on this topic as well as an open ticket. Hope to get some insight on this.

(SpaceNavigator 10.6.5 wired; MacPro 6,1; macos 10.15.7)

• Like 1

Hi Korach, I have never been albe to solve it again. It works with other programs but not with firestorm and Mac, or any other program. I also checked the 3d mouse forums but no luck there. Nobody could help with this problem, they all put fingers at each other.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:43 PM, Korach said:

This is happening for me as well. Was working great as usual - then yesterday just stopped mid-session. Going to Joystick Configuration showed SpaceNavigator as an option but wouldn't let me select. Relogging and trying again, now not showing as an option - shows up as "mouse". Same in Firestorm, SL viewer, and Singularity. Still works perfectly in my work software (cad and others). Tried everything I could think of. Any luck here? I posted a new thread on this topic as well as an open ticket. Hope to get some insight on this.

(SpaceNavigator 10.6.5 wired; MacPro 6,1; macos 10.15.7)

On 4/3/2021 at 1:15 AM, renanyoy Oh said:

you tried other viewer ? for me the spacenavigator stopped suddenly working in firestorm, but it still working with other viewers.

Yes I tried all kinds of viewers, no luck.

I checked with 3DConnexion and someone looked into this issue a bit. They tell me that while LL supports SpaceNavigator they don't specifically use 3DConnexion's drivers. That's why back in the day we could run the SpaceNavigator with no 3DConnexion drivers loaded on our machines. The thinking right now is that it may have something to do with some sort of server update (or bug) on LL's end, but unless a Linden chimes in we won't know what's up. I'd think if they were dropping support they'd give a heads up, so I suspect it may just resume working again when they're done with their updates.

1 hour ago, Korach said:

I checked with 3DConnexion and someone looked into this issue a bit. They tell me that while LL supports SpaceNavigator they don't specifically use 3DConnexion's drivers. That's why back in the day we could run the SpaceNavigator with no 3DConnexion drivers loaded on our machines. The thinking right now is that it may have something to do with some sort of server update (or bug) on LL's end, but unless a Linden chimes in we won't know what's up. I'd think if they were dropping support they'd give a heads up, so I suspect it may just resume working again when they're done with their updates.

Thanks, well I hope so. It is not working on any of the viewers out there xo

Just adding my five cents here:
- For me this bug exists in the SL standard viewer (6.4.17.557391) and at least the latest version of  Firestorm also. The problem exists under macOS (versions 10.15.7 and 11.2.3 tested). The bug is NOT present under Windows 10.
- There is no problem with the driver or the 3dConnexion mouse specifically. Other Controllers have the same problem too. Other programs can use the 3D-mouse.
- Basically the new select-box in the dialog under "Preferences -> Move & View -> Other Devices" doesn't work.  This used to be a simple tick-box. When changing this something must have been coded wrong.
- Updating your preferences using an old viewer version, selects the 3dConnexion-Navigator. After selecting the 3d-Connexion device via the old dialog, you can use those settings with the new viewer version too. Which at least for me proves, that the new selector isn't working and that there is NO problem with either the device nor it's driver.
- Once you reopen the dialog with the new version viewer, the problem will return.

Edited by Cassandrelle
  • Like 1

Thanks for the extra five cents Cassandrelle! This pretty much matches what I've been seeing though helpful to know that it's affecting other controllers beyond SpaceNavigator, and not affecting Windows10. LL support has responded to me and I've given them a comprehensive list of my troubleshooting that brought me to my "this is a bug" conclusion but so far we're still in the "check out our wiki [7yo] page for help" stage of things. If others let LL support know their experience/findings perhaps they will understand it's an issue beyond user-error. I agree that it's not a problem with the device or driver.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, Cassandrelle said:

- For me this bug exists in the SL standard viewer (6.4.17.557391) and at least the latest version of  Firestorm also. The problem exists under macOS (versions 10.15.7 and 11.2.3 tested). The bug is NOT present under Windows 10.
- There is no problem with the driver or the 3dConnexion mouse specifically. Other Controllers have the same problem too. Other programs can use the 3D-mouse.
- Basically the new select-box in the dialog under "Preferences -> Move & View -> Other Devices" doesn't work.  This used to be a simple tick-box. When changing this something must have been coded wrong.
- Updating your preferences using an old viewer version, selects the 3dConnexion-Navigator. After selecting the 3d-Connexion device via the old dialog, you can use those settings with the new viewer version too. Which at least for me proves, that the new selector isn't working and that there is NO problem with either the device nor it's driver.
- Once you reopen the dialog with the new version viewer, the problem will return.

Thank you Cassandrelle, I have a Mac and not Windows, and before Catalina and the FS update it all worked fine for over 10 years, it worked just great. Now they are all pointing fingers at each other and nobody seems to really fix this. The device works fine with my other programs, same as with @Korach, so we hope LL will fix this for us using this great controller that gives that extra to your sl life :)

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, Cassandrelle said:

Same problem with me. I  installed an older version of FS with the tic box selector for joystick in profess before logging in, Quit. Start date newer version and logged in.  All good. ergo The drop down sector in the newer versions of FS doesn't work. BTW Space navigator and FS/sl viewer still down. wok with Big Sur.. I am dual booting. to use sl and. the navigator.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:50 AM, David Conundrum said:

Same problem with me. I  installed an older version of FS with the tic box selector for joystick in profess before logging in, Quit. Start date newer version and logged in.  All good. ergo The drop down sector in the newer versions of FS doesn't work. BTW Space navigator and FS/sl viewer still down. wok with Big Sur.. I am dual booting. to use sl and. the navigator.

Same here it works with Big Sur, programs, but with non of the sl viewers. I tried them all. I so miss my mouse in sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.