Wearing necklace issue

Karina Leborski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Karina Leborski said:

Ok, the second point was to the point (no pun intended). Attaching it to the chest instead of neck just did the trick. Thank you!

Spine was also a default necklace attachment point (unrigged jewelry) but even so some necklaces will NOT work when moving or posing whatever you do, so know that it isn't always "you"; sometimes it is the product :D.    

ALWAYS DEMO.  I can't tell you how many current necklaces I throw away because they really don't and can't work (except in the vendor photo :D).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rhonda Huntress said:

For some reason it seem jewelry creators are slow to pick up on this.

Probably because it's unrigged. From my experience unrigged wearables rarely can be demo-ed, if ever. Same for most makeup appliers, there's maybe 5-10% of them with demos, the rest is "try and see if it works for your head". I'm not big on jewelry myself, but when I was in mood to pickup some it was pretty much a game of chance on quality, complexity and textures in almost every single case too. I suppose creators don't want their demos to be used for photoshoots or something and can't be bothered to upload demo textures for each item either, so it being unrigged means you can resize/move it all you want, so it's either a demo cube 1cm in front of the actual item or said demo textures. Or no demo at all, which is the case.

44 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Probably because it's unrigged. From my experience unrigged wearables rarely can be demo-ed, if ever. Same for most makeup appliers, there's maybe 5-10% of them with demos, the rest is "try and see if it works for your head". I'm not big on jewelry myself, but when I was in mood to pickup some it was pretty much a game of chance on quality, complexity and textures in almost every single case too. I suppose creators don't want their demos to be used for photoshoots or something and can't be bothered to upload demo textures for each item either, so it being unrigged means you can resize/move it all you want, so it's either a demo cube 1cm in front of the actual item or said demo textures. Or no demo at all, which is the case.

This is about jewelry and necklaces in particular. I had a jewelry shop for several years and I made plenty of necklaces. An unrigged necklace is just as easy to make into a demo as other products. Add a DEMO prim with texture as well as a resize script.  Some creators do make demos.

alaskametro frequently (not sure if it is an always thing)  has ONE of a item in an applier set as a "tester". Applier clothing in general is super easy to make into a demo as you just put DEMO over the texture, export and add that texture to your demo applier.

It takes time to make demos, I will agree with that, but there are tons of folks who simply refuse to buy without a demo. So by doing a bit more work,  creators definitely open their market.   

• Like 1

Yes!  I pass on buying lots of accessories due to no demo option.  I want to know complexity info.  I try to keep around 50k.  Some creators don't seem concerned and one item can run in the six digits.  Total waste of my time.  Same way with hair & clothing.  I don't even mind paying one linden or maybe even up to 10 if it's something I really really want to try out.  if designers don't want to set up demos for them, at least they could include that type of information in their advertisement.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
Typos

Wear rigged one some jewelry you can press on to make bigger or smaller or its in the hud yes good idea to test demo yes and complexity. Getting a hold of the creator sending a note card if your still having hard time resizing.  Trick stand on stand pose and when you edit the jewelry make sure it lines up looks front to back and sides to make sure. Practice makes perfect we all Been their.

Jewelry we all love even when you do poses for photo's you have to putting in position jewelry are great props hit the right touch with your outfit. Jewelry yes like RL but in RL some necklace can be to long you have to lop them few times have to put the front of the necklace in the front  to lock it so its similar as real. Some times we have to look the photo make sure the jewel on right have to go fix  it think that happens 100 times. You check before you leave. Like last photo I had malfunction.   

vielprincess.png

goods_001.png

Edited by Vanoralynna

Earrings.thumb.png.8bab99761de6fc0c7d099dc27894ae15.png

When I do static shots, I frequently adjust jewelry to fit the pose, whether it's necklaces or earrings - especially when the head is tilted, it looks weird if earrings hang sideways along with the head rather than downward with gravity.

Even so, when I purchase jewelry I (almost) always require a demo for reasons already mentioned; the balance between good draw distances and quality against complexity is quite difficult to get behind - no one wants earrings that collapse and derender from five meters away. I've also seen several necklaces that are 'rigged/designed for X body', then you buy it, and find that it contains a resize script - and isn't actually rigged by any means. It's Second Life, though, the majority of the creators are laymen and it's a competitive market where it's easy to try using fancy expressions to advertise your product, whether you understand what it means or not. Like 'materials enabled' - but they've never ran SL with advanced lighting on and don't understand what it does; even if the entire piece is metal, a blank white texture as a shadow map is going to look absolutely terrible.

There's one creator, and I shan't name names on the forums, but they're pretty big - but I've tried to tell them several times that their materials are completely insane, and that it's impossible to use their products for photoshoots, or even wearing in public, due to how their black metal textures come off as completely light gray to white whenever there's a light source nearby.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.