Time converter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of my main problem in si it to understand time. SLT is the time usualy used in SL. But it is very hard for me to understand it. I need to calculate it. Is ther an easy tools in SL or inworld (outside sl) on the web forexemple I can use to understand the time

Example I checked a timetable (schedule) and wanted to follow a course. it is 13:00  What is it.  13:00 is eaier to understand than 1pm (the worst!!) What time is it for my time zone

I tell you how I do that step by step

I want to know what is 13:00 in my time zone (Europe). For me it is easier to call time zone by UTC+1 UTC+2 etc then the other name or by name of cities. I am here on UTC+2

1. I need to know what is SLT :  seach a map https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

This one is good. SLT is UTC-8 (I am still not sure) and still not sure how is the other name PDT? Pacific zone ?

2 Convert 13 SLT to UTC --> 13+8= 20

3. Convert UTC --> UTC+2 (My time zone) 20 +2 = 22

If you have time with 12 hours with am and pm it add one more step to convert time of 12 hours to time of 24 hours.

Then my head is warm calculating that. If you cross date it add difficulties. How about converting 8pm for example

1- 8pm --> 20:00

2 20+8=28

3 28-24 = 4:00 (the next day)

4 4+2 = 6:00 (UTC+2)

I will show you what my mind do each time I see a time. Then I need an easy tool : I enter a date in 12 or 24 format and then I have the time in my time zone.

To know what time it is now is easy because I notice that I have this time on my browser but it is hard to know the time of a schedule

There are clocks you can buy on the MP that do some time conversions but over time it becomes second nature to know the conversion.   I am SLT + 8.  It can get a little confusing when the clocks go back and forward at different times across the world for a few days  but other than that its easy to convert with simple maths

• Like 1

When you get the SL log in page (Firestorm for me) it tells you the time in SL (before you log in). <<<<I find that handy.

Any internet clock that gives you [USA Californian Time] is good hint (because thats the time SL runs on) due to it being where LL has its headquarters. This helps when daylight saving changes the time too. 

I have several 'clocks' on my computer set to key countries where my friends are, for quick reference too. 

Lastly here is link to a Time Converter. You can put in any time/date (SL/Californian)  to get what time you need to be in SL (on your clock). 

Failing that, make your own conversion list with each time over 24 hours. 

Where it gets tricky is when people dont put dates.

I prefer the 24hr clock too ")

Edited by CheriColette

@Leo

the way I do it is:

i am 19 hours (NZST) ahead of SL time (PDT).  PDT + 19

say there is an event in SL at 8pm, Sunday, 9 June 2019 PDT

8 pm + 19 hours = 3pm, Monday, 10 June 2019 NZST

in your case you are 9 hours ahead.  PDT + 9  (UTC+2 or EET to use the same timescale as LL)

8 pm + 9 hours = 5am, Monday, 10 June 2019  EET

The Second Life viewer should have a built in clock that shows SLT by default.

Beyond that, if you're on Windows, you can have multiple clocks in your taskbar that show when you mouse over it. I have one for my local time, and another for SLT.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch

I was going to say you're overthinking it, Leo.  You're UTC+2.  Second Life runs on Pacific time, UTC-8.  So your local time is 10 hours ahead of SLT.  Or conversely, SL is 10 hours behind you.

As I said, I WAS going to say you're overthinking it.  Then I remembered Daylight Savings time.  Here in the USA, it's in effect right now, so you have to add another hour to that.  And remember to stop doing that come fall, when the US goes back to Standard time.

Sigh...better to put those clock widgets on your screen and let them do the head-turning math for you automatically.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.