How to deal with moderate slope on land

Rhiannon108

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I just bought a 1024m property which has a moderate slope from high in the back down toward the front. If I put a house on it, will the house be tilted at the angle of the hill? Do I need to somehow adjust the ground before I set the house down so it's relatively flat? If I need to adjust the ground, what's the best way to do so? Thanks in advance!

Okay. Sorry to ask my question early. I just poked around and see that I can terraform to shift the slope. Holy crap! SL is proving to be more complicated than I initially thought! Oh well, I will (hopefully) end up with a nice property! We'll see! :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhiannon108 said:

Okay. Sorry to ask my question early. I just poked around and see that I can terraform to shift the slope. Holy crap! SL is proving to be more complicated than I initially thought! Oh well, I will (hopefully) end up with a nice property! We'll see! :P

You: Simba. Second Life: Scar. (Yes, I know it's originally from "Reversal of Fortune" but this video gets to the point quicker.)

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rhiannon108 said:

Hello. I just bought a 1024m property which has a moderate slope from high in the back down toward the front. If I put a house on it, will the house be tilted at the angle of the hill? Do I need to somehow adjust the ground before I set the house down so it's relatively flat? If I need to adjust the ground, what's the best way to do so? Thanks in advance!

As houses are most likely not set as a physical object, it will stay upright, no matter how steep the slope is. Maybe this could be your setup ;)
JSPortaledge.jpg.c23429d2c6c296029a5ec1f5ebfca315.jpg

Ugh. I just discovered that terraforming is blocked in my region. Wish I would have known that before I bought the plot. Can't set my house flat! I see neighbors have little raised corners under their houses to make them flat. Guess I'll look for another place to buy land. Darn!

You can put your house flat, and then build a prim platform to feel in the empty air space.  You can then texture the prim platform to look like a house foundation or a wall, put some shrubbery or flowers in front of it to soften the look. 

• Like 1

Create a prim, add a rock texture to it from the library folder. Edit it, check the box next to stretch texture and then stretch it until it is covering the floor plan of your building. If the texture looks okay stretched then just stretch it to shape under your building and place the building on top. If it doesn't then stretch the prim to the extent the texture does look good and then uncheck the stretch texture box before stretching it to cover the floorplan of the building

Maybe think about adding a staircase or some prims to make steps or platforms. Texture them as rock, or grass if you are wanting a lawn section. It shouldn't take long if you know how to manipulate prims to make it look good. If you don't then look on youtube, ask a friend, visit the ivory tower of primitives or one of the help sims like helping haven, Caledon or builders brewery for some help.

You can also look for houses that have a large base on them to start with that enable you to sink the house into the ground and then appear level. Otherwise make a rock foundations as Aethelwine has suggested. It's better to put the foundation down first then adjust the house to it, but if you are already all decorated, you could slide the foundation under the house.

Another strategy would be to buy some big flower beds and arrange them around the gaps, or some bushes.

Most of the mainland has land you can terraform; only some old Linden sims like Brown and the newer Linden Homes don't have terraforming turned on.

There are so many rental companies that allow terraforming, but even with that, some hills just can't be leveled.  What I do- I place a flat prim at the top of the hill and put a grass texture to it and then put a cave or a sitting area with pillars under it so it looks intentional.  There is no limit and no "rules" for decorating your little piece of SL heaven.  if you do have limits, I'd recommend a new company to rent from.  Just food for thought.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.