Sims 3/4 Conversion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, this probably sounds COMPLETELY dumb. I was wondering if I was able to build a house in The Sims 4 or The Sims 3 and convert it to Second Life? Just because the building is very easy for me. I was thinking maybe just the build (no items of course) with like walls, stairs, roof and maybe some wall paint? Just something to start out with.

Or should I use Sims 3/4 to build an idea and buy items from shop to rebuild it in SL? If that were the case, where can I buy stuff to build with in MP?

Sorry for the confusion! I’m just new to all of this. ❤️

2 hours ago, cutieje said:

Yes, this probably sounds COMPLETELY dumb. I was wondering if I was able to build a house in The Sims 4 or The Sims 3 and convert it to Second Life? Just because the building is very easy for me. I was thinking maybe just the build (no items of course) with like walls, stairs, roof and maybe some wall paint? Just something to start out with.

Or should I use Sims 3/4 to build an idea and buy items from shop to rebuild it in SL? If that were the case, where can I buy stuff to build with in MP?

Sorry for the confusion! I’m just new to all of this. ❤️

Asking first is very smart! Good for you! THough, what @OptimoMaximo says is true: all the "assets" used in the Sims game ate the intellectual property of that developer. It would be like downloading a movie from the Internet, then posting it on a web site for everyone else to download - downloading it is not illegal. It's when you share it to others that it becomes illegal. The problem with Second Life, though, is that even if you just uploaded the Sims house for your own use and didn't share with anyone, you are sharing it with Linden Lab and copying it onto the Second Life servers - that's where it would become illegal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 9:43 AM, Alyona Su said:

Asking first is very smart! Good for you! THough, what @OptimoMaximo says is true: all the "assets" used in the Sims game ate the intellectual property of that developer. It would be like downloading a movie from the Internet, then posting it on a web site for everyone else to download - downloading it is not illegal. It's when you share it to others that it becomes illegal. The problem with Second Life, though, is that even if you just uploaded the Sims house for your own use and didn't share with anyone, you are sharing it with Linden Lab and copying it onto the Second Life servers - that's where it would become illegal.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

That's called IP theft, as those models belong to The Sims' franchise.

thank you!

On 4/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, cutieje said:

Well, you can definitely do that and have lots of fun at the same time. If you want to build in mesh and don't know how to use 3D software, there's a ton of stuff available on the marketplace under Building and Object Components - Mesh Creator Tools - Architectural. A lot of people who sell houses in Second Life use these components to create some pretty unique looking buildings. And of course there are a ton of textures for sale on the marketplace if you don't want to make your own from scratch.

I'll point out though that doing things this way will set you back some money and it's probably cheaper to play The Sims games, or build using the standard SL building tools which will probably give you an older looking, higher land impact result but may still be enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

I researched that actually and not for SL but wanted to export Sims houses as models to look at them. In case any other curious person wondered same - you sure can look at them but the models are actually bonkers. In Sims 3 they are all stretched and skewed to the extent you have no idea what are you seeing. It is fairly odd as making mods to inject into the game is much easier than going about looking at construction geometry. So there is that, in case anyone wanted to know - I like looking into how all games' tick, pft.

However, in case of SL - you would literally be using assets you did not make nor have any creative rights to. Sure, if EA ever did sell them - they are free to do so ... but I assume even they would face some legal issues. Seems you are more after something to help you envision future house/decor so ... look for house decor programs or 3D software with assets built into it so you can easily make stairs, roofs and so on. Still, you probably would not be able to use them in SL but it could be a helpful visual tool.

• 1 month later...

for it to be an IP violation damages have to be proven or money was made from it. just because someone (i.e. Sims, youtube, etc) claims it is, doesn't mean it actually is.

if you are not hurting anyone, it is not illegal despite claims to the contrary. will The Sims be damaged if you do it? i think not. don't sell it and you are fine. if any party concerned bothers you about it, then just remove it, it's not like you killed someone.

i won't be surprised if i get smug, obnoxious blow back from this post.

4 hours ago, carley Greymoon said:

for it to be an IP violation damages have to be proven or money was made from it. just because someone (i.e. Sims, youtube, etc) claims it is, doesn't mean it actually is.

if you are not hurting anyone, it is not illegal despite claims to the contrary. will The Sims be damaged if you do it? i think not. don't sell it and you are fine. if any party concerned bothers you about it, then just remove it, it's not like you killed someone.

i won't be surprised if i get smug, obnoxious blow back from this post.

nonsense

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.