"Protected" Land For Sale Really Isn't?

LoneWolfiNTj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm considering buying a 1024sm piece of land in Zindra from a reality company, but it's marked "Protected" by the seller. However, that doesn't seem likely. It's privately owned, not Linden-owned. It's marked "For sale to anyone". It has no covenant. It's marked "may be resold, joined, or subdivided". So, how can it be "protected"? Or, is the seller misusing the word "protected"? Or, is something else going on? (I IM'd the seller, but he's off-line. So I figured I'd sound-out the community on meanings of the word "protected" that I may not be aware of.)

[Later Addendum: I'm now seeing "protected" on other private land for sale, all on roads, so apparently it's being used in a way I'm not familiar with. something to do with roads?]

Edited by LoneWolfiNTj

PROTECTED generally means that there  cannot be a neighbor RIGHT NEXT to you. So linden road or water are the most likely neighbors. Sometimes the buffer is small -- sometimes a whole water sim. 

Sometimes folks report land as protected when it is actually ABANDONED which of course isn't protected at all since it can be sold at any time. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

PROTECTED generally means that there  cannot be a neighbor RIGHT NEXT to you. So linden road or water are the most likely neighbors....

Ah, that's probably it, then; the realtors mean "bounded by protected land on at least one edge". Some of these parcels labeled "protected" I've been looking at do have neighbors on 1, 2, or 3 sides, but all have a road on 1 side. It certainly makes accessing one's own land easier.

So, that clarifies things. Thanks!

I think I will buy that roadside land I was looking at.

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

PROTECTED generally means that there  cannot be a neighbor RIGHT NEXT to you. So linden road or water are the most likely neighbors. Sometimes the buffer is small -- sometimes a whole water sim. 

Sometimes folks report land as protected when it is actually ABANDONED which of course isn't protected at all since it can be sold at any time. 

@LoneWolfiNTj What Chic says is correct. Here's the explanation about it:

Any land created by Linden Lab by Lindens or Moles (resident volunteers under Mole accounts) is officially called "Protected" land. If you stand on a Linden Road, for example, and look at the top of your viewer where the parcel and region name is, it will actually say "Protected Land".

What they mean by Protected Land is that no one other than a Linden or Mole can rez anything there (unless it is an official Rez-Zone - which usually has a 5 or 10-minute auto-return).

Because you cannot choose or control your neighbors on the mainland, a parcel surrounded by other parcels *could* have all your views blocked, access made more difficult (other than teleporting, obviously) and so on.

A lot of people like to drive on the roads or sail in the waters. Hence, when virtual land is advertised with the word "Protected" in the title, it is SL-Speak meaning to say one of these things: 1) You will always have a view because no one else can pollute it by resizing things in your way. More commonly it is 2) Direct access to a Linden Road for your car or Linden Water for your boat.

Because people like to rez their car or boat... then never use them. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

...a parcel surrounded by other parcels *could* have all your views blocked, access made more difficult...

Yep, such as, all 4 of your neighbors decide to uncheck the "anyone can visit" box, thus walling you in with ban lines. And since I'm locating in Zindra because I like to fly to locations there, that would be unacceptable to me. Hence, I've been looking at roadside square 1024sm parcels (to avoid Tilia "land use fees" for anything over 1024). The first time I came across "protected", it threw me; but I'm starting to get clued-in that it's SL realtor talk for "has protected land along at least one edge", not that the parcel itself is "protected land".

I suppose it stands to reason that real estate sales jargon in Second Life will have it's own vernacular just as in First Life. It's taking me a while to learn. (Though I've been in SL since 2013, until recently I've been on a "Free" acct. I just took the plunge into "Premium" about 10 days ago, so I'm still learning about buying land, buying houses, etc. I currently own a 512sm landlocked parcel, and I'm looking to upgrade to 1024sm roadside.)

8 hours ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

I just took the plunge into "Premium" about 10 days ago

Congratulations (and welcome to the club!).

Having "free" land that you never have to pay rent for AND *no one* can ever evict you from is such a wonderful feeling. And chances are you'll eventually sell it to buy something else. Not as a land-flipper, but just because you can. Say you spot another location and like it better or just want to change things around.

One under-appreciated benefit of premium is the premium-only sandboxes. If you ever have a need to build or otherwise rez something and need the space or more prims than available on your filled-up home, you can always go to a sandbox. The premium sandboxes are great because they are often empty (so zero lag) and when they aren't you know none of the others are griefers, because the people there wouldn't risk their accounts.

There are many other little benefits people don't think about and others balk at that you will find helpful or useful. Things that others feel is worth the cost of premium membership. Until you use it. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

Yep, such as, all 4 of your neighbors decide to uncheck the "anyone can visit" box, thus walling you in with ban lines. And since I'm locating in Zindra because I like to fly to locations there, that would be unacceptable to me. Hence, I've been looking at roadside square 1024sm parcels (to avoid Tilia "land use fees" for anything over 1024). The first time I came across "protected", it threw me; but I'm starting to get clued-in that it's SL realtor talk for "has protected land along at least one edge", not that the parcel itself is "protected land".

I suppose it stands to reason that real estate sales jargon in Second Life will have it's own vernacular just as in First Life. It's taking me a while to learn. (Though I've been in SL since 2013, until recently I've been on a "Free" acct. I just took the plunge into "Premium" about 10 days ago, so I'm still learning about buying land, buying houses, etc. I currently own a 512sm landlocked parcel, and I'm looking to upgrade to 1024sm roadside.)

Roadside is always the way to go. I prefer it to protected water, since protected water is often outrageously priced. What I love is that people walking by can just drop in, and that I can walk out my front door and walk for hours, exploring if I so wish

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Roadside is always the way to go. I prefer it to protected water, since protected water is often outrageously priced. What I love is that people walking by can just drop in, and that I can walk out my front door and walk for hours, exploring if I so wish

Aye, I love it. I just bought a 1024sm parcel on that main east-west road in southern Zindra. It's a quiet residential neighborhood. Not the parcel I was looking at when I started this thread. I kept seeing roadside land at L$25K/1024sm but didn't want to pay US$100 for "virtual" land. Then I found a parcel for $10K, but it still seemed pricey. But then I saw this parcel for just L$5000 and grabbed it. Fate favors the stubborn shopper. 🙂

Next up, install a driveway over the shallow ditch on the edge of the road to easy car & motorcycle access. (A friend just gave me a car; I haven't even rezzed it yet. And I already have a motor scooter. I'm looking into getting a rideable horse, but I hear they're expensive.)

1 hour ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

Next up, install a driveway over the shallow ditch on the edge of the road to easy car & motorcycle access

If a Linden or Mole finds your driveway hanging over the edge of your land  your additional driveway will be deleted .. as on all parcels, roadsides don't allow encroaching objects.

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

If a Linden or Mole finds your driveway hanging over the edge of your land  your additional driveway will be deleted .. as on all parcels, roadsides don't allow encroaching objects.

In RL you are allowed to cut and grade the road right of way to connect a driveway. It's a shame LL employees don't employ common sense when deciding to return encroaching objects. If an encroachment is logical and doesn't actually cover the road, they should leave it.

Interestingly I've bought parcels where roadway features have encroached on my land, but of course one can't return those.

2 hours ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

Aye, I love it. I just bought a 1024sm parcel on that main east-west road in southern Zindra. It's a quiet residential neighborhood. Not the parcel I was looking at when I started this thread. I kept seeing roadside land at L$25K/1024sm but didn't want to pay US$100 for "virtual" land. Then I found a parcel for $10K, but it still seemed pricey. But then I saw this parcel for just L$5000 and grabbed it. Fate favors the stubborn shopper. 🙂

Next up, install a driveway over the shallow ditch on the edge of the road to easy car & motorcycle access. (A friend just gave me a car; I haven't even rezzed it yet. And I already have a motor scooter. I'm looking into getting a rideable horse, but I hear they're expensive.)

Congrats on your purchase. $5 L per sqm road  front on Zindra is an absolute bargain. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, Ethan Paslong said:

Yes, I've read that officially that's true.

However, in practice, many roadside parcels have driveways over the ditches alongside the roads. The driveways usually don't overlap the road itself, but do extend beyond the property line in order to bridge the ditch that typically lies alongside the roads.

In my current neighborhood, most of the houses have driveways that do this. My driveway extends to within about 1cm of the roadway. My next-door neighbor's driveway actually overlaps the roadbed itself by about 10cm. So far, neither my driveway nor my neighbors' have been "confiscated" that I've seen. Now, if someone is driving a car down the road and a driveway flange causes them to spin out of control and they get mad and complain to SL admin, then I imagine there would be consequences.

2 minutes ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

However, in practice, many roadside parcels have driveways over the ditches alongside the roads. The driveways usually don't overlap the road itself, but do extend beyond the property line in order to bridge the ditch that typically lies alongside the roads.

Where I live, this is called the “easement”. The property between the road and your home is not yours (is local government’s), but you are responsible for mowing its grass, etc.

2 hours ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

However, in practice, many roadside parcels have driveways over the ditches alongside the roads.

Yes. Almost every parcel I own has something blending over into Linden territory, and I've only ever once had anything returned (and that was a miscommunication, where I was working with Michael Linden on a property exchange to make SLRR turning track).

I suspect it helps if the stuff is styled like something a Mole might have installed, and phantom except when a physics shape is functionally required.

For example, I have a whole beach road and dock that extends a Linden road spanning both Linden and my land. It doesn't need to be there but it adds to the region for everybody, uses only publicly distributed LDPW textures, and looks like something a Mole might have created if they had the prims to spare.

• Like 1

In all my years of owning mainland parcels I've never had an issue with going outside my parcel into Linden land as long as the root prim is located inside my parcel. I have nearly always bought protected land and have nearly always gone into the Governor's land at will. I've never had anything returned. I especially do this with roads. I always build a driveway that connects to the road and is seamless. I think what's important to remember is to use textures that match perfectly, or if the texture isn't available then match as closely as possible. If your addition looks as though the mole who built the area also made your driveway no Linden is going to take issue with you invading Linden land.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:09 AM, Blush Bravin said:

...use textures that match perfectly...

In my neighborhood (in Rancourt, on the main east-west road through central Zindra), most of the driveways don't match the road at all. See the attached photo. The road is black asphalt. But note that in the background you see my neighbor's driveway which is brown with ornate swirls, and in the middle is my driveway which is bright orange-red bricks. Note that while my driveway just barely abuts the gutter, my neighbor's driveway actually covers the gutter. I haven't seen any problems with the driveways getting "returned" though, even though they extend about 2-3 meters into Lindon land. (Note that the ditch I'm standing in in this photo is actually Linden land; my property is the 1024sm square parcel to the right of the green line in the photo.)

SL_Driveway_002.png

3 minutes ago, LoneWolfiNTj said:

In my neighborhood (in Rancourt, on the main east-west road through central Zindra), most of the driveways don't match the road at all. See the attached photo. The road is black asphalt. But note that in the background you see my neighbor's driveway which is brown with ornate swirls, and in the middle is my driveway which is bright orange-red bricks. Note that while my driveway just barely abuts the gutter, my neighbor's driveway actually covers the gutter. I haven't seen any problems with the driveways getting "returned" though, even though they extend about 2-3 meters into Lindon land. (Note that the ditch I'm standing in in this photo is actually Linden land; my property is the 1024sm square parcel to the right of the green line in the photo.)

I use textures that match because I think it looks better. As long as the root prim for the driveway is in your parcel, I doubt that you'll have any issue with having it returned.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.